Feedback on Hoya Variable ND

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

abatareika

Feedback on Hoya Variable ND

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 1:15 pm

hi guys, I was investigating a lot about those ND filters. I read many topics and opinions, watched videos. In the end I decided to try out the Hoya Variable ND: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am low budget film maker so I cannot spend a lot of money and time trying out things, well I did this time, since we were under pressure to film a music video clip before mid of December. I filmed raw on BMCC EF 2.5. Hoya ND allowed me filming at f1.4 in sort of bright daylight. While working in post (home studio and not a testing lab), I found no issues with the filmed footage. I knew about issues with spilled colors or something like that. Well I did not see anything strange and I was able to manipulate all colors to my taste with or without ND in Davinci. I am glad I purchased it and I am not moving away from it from now on. Also some reported having cross when going to far on ND scale, I did not see any. I tested on a white wall, boosted the ND to max and at f1.4 it was very dark and no cross observed.

The final product is here. Since there is a lot of CC work done I doubt it gives you clear idea of what to expect in raw footage, but again - I found no issues with any colors in Davinci. Later I will share some raw footage for playing around. All video shots except garage scene (filmed on Canon 60D) are filmed on BMCC, the outside shots and some inside (kitchen) - filmed with Hoya variable ND:

Return to Cinematography