URSA12K External Power does not work with extension

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

valentinpando

URSA12K External Power does not work with extension

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 2:47 pm

Hi!

I am having issues with powering the URSA12K: When I use a 4m extension cord, it does not power up. The strange thing: I measured the voltage directly at the power adapter and also at the end of the cord and it is both 12.33V. The pins are assigned correctly. When I use the 15V Atomos Power adapter (which I only did for a few seconds to avoid damage on the camera), it works. Do I just need a Power Adapter with slightly more voltage than the Blackmagic one? I am confused because other cameras did work. And I had the same problem with power by d-tap. Again, other cameras no problem but the URSA did not turn on.

Any advice on which power adapter is nessesary or what else to do?

Thanks
Valentin

Howard Roll

Re: URSA12K External Power does not work with extension

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 5:04 pm

12.3v is unloaded so you can expect that number to drop under load. Better to extend the AC and use the shorty on the DC side.

In the States (120V) 20 guage lamp cord is both sufficient and lightweight. In Europe and abroad (230-250V) it may make more sense to use an adapter that has higher voltage to mitigate the effects of DC line loss.

While the DC range is not published for the 12k it’s a safe assumprion that you’ll be good to about 16v as that’s the upper limit of fully charged V-locks.

Good Luck

valentinpando

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 6:00 pm

Thank you very much. Unfortunately, going with DC to the location is not an optimal solution in this case. But would you say using a 14V or 15V power supply might not do harm? If I ask BMD for the DC range and it is within the range that might just be a fine solution?

Howard Roll

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 7:06 pm

My bad, DC specs aren’t on the product page, per the manual, the Ursa 12k is good with 12-20V DC.

Good Luck

Return to Cinematography