BMC ProRes log to lin 1D lut?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Garrett

BMC ProRes log to lin 1D lut?

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Dear Black Magic,

Can you please publish a log-to-linear lut for BMC ProRes footage so we can work with it in linear colour space in Nuke and other vfx software? With such a lut, we would also have the option of working with BMD RAW footage exported as native log from Resolve. I'm not sure if that's the same as ProRes log, but I assume so.

I realise I could shoot my own greyscale chart and create a lut manually but it would be great if you could just put it out there, and join the ranks of Arri log, Sony S-Log, Cineon, RedLog and every other log format on the planet. Is there some complication here, like am I not taking saturation into account?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Garrett

Re: BMC ProRes log to lin 1D lut?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 4:42 am

bump

Jules Bushell

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Michael Garrett wrote:I realise I could shoot my own greyscale chart and create a lut manually but it would be great if you could just put it out there, and join the ranks of Arri log, Sony S-Log, Cineon, RedLog and every other log format on the planet. Is there some complication here, like am I not taking saturation into account?

Thanks,
Michael

If you create such a LUT, give it your name and let the community have it. We'll be singing your praises ;)

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Michael Garrett

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 3:26 pm

I don't have a Black Magic camera but if I really needed such a lut for work I would do it. If I did any vfx work with BMC footage then I would need it, but that hasn't come up yet. I just don't get why it hasn't been made available yet.

Now that the cameras are becoming more readily available, I'm considering buying one but I would really want that lut to be available too. The idea of grading log footage "by eye" without knowing the camera manufacturer's intent is not how I want to work.

Michael Garrett

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 5:45 pm

bump

Return to Cinematography