Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Mark Davies

  • Posts: 748
  • Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 am

Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Time is getting short and Christmas is nearly upon us. I really cant see the camera shipping this side of 2014 now.
Mark Davies
Offline
User avatar

Alex Tissot

  • Posts: 186
  • Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 am
  • Location: Paris

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Yes you're right, it's a shame to wait this end of Q4!!!
Q4 was during 3 months, they waited for the 2 last week to ship...
Just the worst period to ship something all around the world!!!
A lot of resseler will close for Christmas and end of the year!

Total nonsense!!!!

We're not to be sheltered from another delay^^
https://vimeo.com/user5198817
Offline
User avatar

PaulDelVecchio

  • Posts: 791
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:33 am
  • Location: NY

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Panasonic did the same with the HVX. They launched it right after Christmas if I remember correctly, and in extremely small numbers. This isn't uncommon... maybe not the best time to ship, but it's been done before.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv
Offline

Ben Wells

  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 3:43 am

The purpose of getting out by Q4 from a business standpoint to is that you would want to process the orders for the 2013 fiscal year so that corporation can write it off. Otherwise those said corporations have no incentive in buying said product. They can wait to see what is around the corner. The Q4 release is for tax purposes I would assume. But then again this is Black Magic so god only knows what the logic is.
Offline

DavidJames

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:09 am
  • Location: Salt Spring Island B.C.

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 4:21 am

If there is no footage, I'd say there is no camera in 2013.
thekreative
www.thekreative.com
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 5:26 am

I can see it shipping on December 30th-31st, but to whom and how many?.....
The fact there is no sample footage yet is discouraging, But I would expect something soon, even if it was 1 week before shipping.

Mr.Grant Petty, Get us excited again, say something soon!
Offline

Jules Bushell

  • Posts: 1026
  • Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 am
  • Location: London, England

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Towards the end of Q4, I see most of BMD indulging in Xmas Turkey and XXXXs

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk
Offline

bhook

  • Posts: 1024
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Don't forget how BMD has defined the word "shipping" in the past...
Offline

brent k

  • Posts: 304
  • Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:56 am

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 3:35 pm

I hope it ships soon, and with a 12 Gb/s SAS 3 connector.
Offline
User avatar

Alex Tissot

  • Posts: 186
  • Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 am
  • Location: Paris

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 8:55 pm

mhood wrote:Don't forget how BMD has defined the word "shipping" in the past...


haha lol!

yes, 5 by 5 for the US first.
With technical issues before a firmware update!
and 3 months after for European resellers and others...

Maybe we'll have one for the next NAB with the 2014 BMD news...
https://vimeo.com/user5198817
Offline
User avatar

Eduardo Gonzalez

  • Posts: 32
  • Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Ah yes, NAB 2014, they might just shock the world yet again with a 4k camera with 120 fps capability then it shall be followed up with tons of pre orders, then there will be huge love, followed by huge hate in the summer, followed by an update in the fall, followed by DEAD SILENCE in Winter 2014, followed by NAB 2015, the 5K BMCC Full Frame, 240 fps model with raw and cineform and HIGH ISO (vs Canon's models at this point) then there'll be preorders followed up by the arrival of 2013's 4k camera. Then there'll be a new pocket cinema camera with super 35 sensor, then people will get that on time, the 4k from 2014 will then arrive in 2016, followed by the 2015 5k that shall arrive in 2017. Sound about right?

Of course by then 4k will be the new norm and tiny GH2-like cams will be shooting 4k and raw as a standard and the competition like the current Sony F55 with global shutter will go for around $6,000. Ay yay something's gotta change for them soon otherwise it's lots goodbye business.
Offline

Mark Davies

  • Posts: 748
  • Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 am

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Eduardo Gonzalez wrote:
Of course by then 4k will be the new norm and tiny GH2-like cams will be shooting 4k and raw as a standard and the competition like the current Sony F55 with global shutter will go for around $6,000. Ay yay something's gotta change for them soon otherwise it's lots goodbye business.


That's not likely to happen unless the mass public majority who wouldn't want a raw workflow demand it.
There are those who want pro equipment who cant afford the huge markup by the Japanese manufacturers and there are those wealthy enough to afford pro equipment. That's where BM come in but BM are not going to be mainstream and there customer base are those indie film makers who cant afford pro equipment.
We really need BM and companies like them to have access to pro gear as nothing is likely to change.
Mark Davies
Offline
User avatar

Aaron Scheiner

  • Posts: 341
  • Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm
  • Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Don't forget the random 33% price drops and the erratic/no firmware updates :P .
Offline

Nick.Ingram

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Is the 4k beastie going to ship in the 4th Q?

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 11:55 pm

Eduardo Gonzalez wrote:Ah yes, NAB 2014, they might just shock the world yet again with a 4k camera with 120 fps capability then it shall be followed up with tons of pre orders, then there will be huge love, followed by huge hate in the summer, followed by an update in the fall, followed by DEAD SILENCE in Winter 2014, followed by NAB 2015, the 5K BMCC Full Frame, 240 fps model with raw and cineform and HIGH ISO (vs Canon's models at this point) then there'll be preorders followed up by the arrival of 2013's 4k camera. Then there'll be a new pocket cinema camera with super 35 sensor, then people will get that on time, the 4k from 2014 will then arrive in 2016, followed by the 2015 5k that shall arrive in 2017. Sound about right?

Of course by then 4k will be the new norm and tiny GH2-like cams will be shooting 4k and raw as a standard and the competition like the current Sony F55 with global shutter will go for around $6,000. Ay yay something's gotta change for them soon otherwise it's lots goodbye business.


Pretty unlikely to be able to shoot 4K RAW on anything other than SSD's anytime soon, so GH sized cameras are out of the question. I know that you seemed to talk sarcastically, but there is an article floating around talking about a GH4K.

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dmitry Shijan, pnguyen720 and 22 guests