Camera v7.9.1 Released

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mark A

Re: Camera v7.9.1 Released

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 4:02 am

My fault. Another user gave me the tip about HFR recording. I had accidently turned on the "off speed recording" option and didn't notice.

kenpaulrosenthal

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 4:29 am

Upon changing your firmware to v7.9.1, didn't anyone else have trouble re-importing you former camera settings?

Mine will not re-import off the internal CFast or SD cards.

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 3:19 pm

Perhaps try firmware 7.9.2?
Rick Lang

redhead

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 3:28 pm

Hi BM

When you are next doing an update for the BMPCC6KPro please can you go back to the grey stop and red rec button on the screen. Oh and a preset 9x16 aspect ratio marker. At the moment you have to type it in each time.

Thanks in advance.

ahmedia

PostFri Oct 14, 2022 1:30 pm

ahmedia wrote:
drknsss wrote:This EXACT same thing happened to me on my first big shoot with the P4K and then it never happened again.

I would suggest not downgrading and seeing what happens. Good thing you have a backup camera! So many people buy tech and when it doesn't work they blame the product and NOT the fact they didn't have a backup plan.

That's good to know! I'll give it another try.

So I ran into the exact same issue again where my P4K stops recording after 5sec (Settings: BRAW 5:1 @ 25fps on T5 500GB SSD). Funny thing was I would get exactly double the recording length (10sec) at HFR 50/25. Logic tells me if it's a write speed issue or something it would only get 2.5sec before freezing.. Anyway, though should mention that. A battery pull and restart seemed to work, however I've since downgraded to 7.3 which was last stable version I used. No issues since downgrading.
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16Gb, 1Tb (Ventura 13.3.1 )
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5.1
BMPCC 4K (Firmware v7.9.1)
Speed Editor

Saul Caires

PostWed Oct 19, 2022 8:54 am

Hi,

After installing the new firmware I had a problem with both of my Cfast cards, it can be a coincidence but after recording several BRAW 8:1 50fps clips, I previewed them on camera and all seemed fine but when mounting the CF on the computer the card was not detected. I tried on the camera again and now it doesn't show up too, it says "No card" on all slots. I have 2 pocket 6k pro and it happens on both of them. The Cfast are Angelbird 256Gb and I'm using the Angelbird card reader on a Mac. I've never had anything like this in the past. I don't know how I'm gonna take the footage from this cards. Hope I can find some help in here.

Cheers
Saul

hanry77

PostFri Oct 21, 2022 1:57 pm

My hikvision cameras work fine on my computer, but don't work on an android tablet. I tried wall panels, fully kiosk, chrome ect. but nothing. Does anyone have an idea?

1984Survivor

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 10:26 am

Hi
trying to update my blackmagic studio camera 4k pro firmware It seems that the newest update is 4.6, so we don't have access to the zoom and focus hardware.
what am I missing?

maxinet

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 3:45 pm

I have a little wish list: when I set the ASA sensitivity, the histogram turns off on the screen (BMPCC 6kPro). And this is an important function when setting the sensitivity.
When I program the function buttons, e.g. zebra and focus assist, then after pressing the button there is no information whether a given function is enabled or not. An icon for focus assist and short information that the zebra has been turned on/off, e.g. Zebra 70% on, would be useful.

Mark A

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 4:55 pm

I saw this old post of mine. It was user error. I must have accidently pressed the HFR button that is just above the Focus Zoom button. I wish HFR was not in that spot.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 5:17 pm

Mark A wrote:I saw this old post of mine. It was user error. I must have accidently pressed the HFR button that is just above the Focus Zoom button. I wish HFR was not in that spot.

You are not alone with this wish. That button has done more harm than good and I really wish I could deactivate it.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Yannick Willox

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 1:45 pm

Just as a heads up, my 3 cams are still on 7.3 and with my 13 T5 drives I never had an issue, until ...
Until a shoot last week with 11 BMD cams, all on T5 drives. 6 cams were on the latest firmware and did NOT have problems. (two continuous 1h15min takes)

It was one of my 3 cams that had a stopped recording, with the light still on, and timecode stopped after 1:00:02 of recording time. Camera was blocked & unresponsive. I had to switch it off. I still need to check if the clip is OK, it played OK in cam. I did the next session on a SD card. This cam was all the time on 1:12 4K, so data rate was pretty low anyway.

Conclusion must be this bug has always been there. I have 13 T5 and always use the included cable. It must be one combination of cam/cable/T5 that produces the problem, otherwise it would have happened months/years ago ?
I have labeled the T5 and cable for future testing ...

This seems to prove it is either coincidence, bad luck (with an existing bug ?), quite rare, and unrelated to the latest firmware versions ?

Yannick Willox

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 1:46 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Mark A wrote:I saw this old post of mine. It was user error. I must have accidently pressed the HFR button that is just above the Focus Zoom button. I wish HFR was not in that spot.

You are not alone with this wish. That button has done more harm than good and I really wish I could deactivate it.

HFR should be user choice on one of the three user buttons.
HFR next to the magifying glass should be either OFF or user definable !
Some of use operate camera's in the dark !!!

Yannick Willox

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 8:44 am

My old panaleica 14-50 4/3 lens does not function with this firmware. I just updated a couple of days ago…

The camera thinks it is non electronic lens, ie no stabilisation(OIS), no diaphragm control, no focus control. The lens is a dead fish. I am using the panasonic 4/3 to m4/3 adapter, which works on my gx80 and on bmpcc4k with 7.3 installed.

I will test later with my 14-150mm which is younger (it was always better behaved) and maybe with my viltrox adapter.

Where is a better place to post about lens issues and firmware updates ?

AndrewJVid

Ursa Broadcast G2, Failed Records (Cfast,USB-C)

PostSat Feb 18, 2023 4:12 pm

Hey Everyone!

First time posting, long time reader. I'm running into failed recordings on the Ursa Broadcast G2. It's come out of the blue wondering if anyone has a fix? I've seen a few other posts that have the same general issue. I'll debrief below.

* I have 3, Ursa Broadcast G2 cameras that I've been doing tests on with 3 different Angelbird C-fast 512 card AND 3 different USB-C, Samsung T5 1TB SSD. I primarily filmed all my pocket cams with the T5 and the even the G2 successfully until the last few weeks.
*When I say fail record I mean it stops recording due to the drop frame stop recording feature.

Info/Context:
1. Camera settings on all three Ursa G2's: Firmware 7.5, 6k, 50fps/24fps (off speed shooting on), constant bitrate, 12:1 compression.
2. I updated the firmware on all three Angelbird Fast cards BEFORE testing, using their official card reader.
3. I did test records of 3 min continuous recording successfully on my pocket 4k and pocket 6k using all three Cfast cards filming at 6k/4k, 60fps/24fps off speed, 12:1 compression, constant bitrate.
4. I updated one Ursa G2 to firmware 7.9.2 and still had at least one failed recording with one Cfast card.

Questions:
*C-fast card slot A (closest to the lens) consistently fails record after a few seconds. For all three G2 cams and all three Angelbird C-fast cards. Slot B consistently works for at least a 3 min continuous record at firmware 7.5 Why? ... When I updated one Ursa G2 to firmware 7.9.2, slot A successfully recorded 3 min clips for 2 cards, and failed on the third card at 1min 42 seconds. Slot B still worked perfectly. Why?
*Does filming in 50/24fps require more read/write speed and maybe contribute to the failures?

I've also had issues with the external USB-C slot not working with the Samsung T5. It will work on one or two of the cameras but not the third. I know it's not a supported card but it boggles me that on 100 percent identical cameras 2 work but the 3rd won't. Or the three different T5 1TB cards works with an Angelbird USB-C cable but not the Samsung USB-C cable, or vice versa depending on the camera. I've filmed with the T5 on all three G2's for months now, so I'm wondering why this is becoming an issue. I did have a USB-C Samsung T5 1TB drive freeze 32 min into a record (6k, 24fps, 12:1 compression, constant bitrate) and brick the camera. Then I ended up only having 9 min of the 32 min clip. That's what pushed me to make the move to C-fast cards, but that's caused a whole new set of problems.

I feel like I can't trust my cameras right now and the failure points are erratic and not following a specific pattern. I don't think I'm asking too much of the C-fast cards? I'm doing 12:1 compression instead of 3:1 and Angelbirds read and write speeds look comparable to the other C-fast cards on BM supported card list.

I'm not sure what else to do besides double check that the Angelbird cards firmware IS up to date. But I don't know how I can trust this for a longer shoot. Returning the Cfast cards and getting another brand seems like a desperation move. I'm fine ditching the USB-C Samsung T5 and only using them for my pocket cams but I need the C-fast options to be reliable and able to shoot 24fps, 50/24fps or 50fps.

Thanks for the help! :)

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 3:37 pm

Are you sure that you are able to update the firmware on the Angelbird CFast2.0 cards? As far as I know this is only a feature for their CFexpress cards and for any update on the CFast2.0 cards you would to send them in. Or did you get emailed the firmware update from their support?
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

OlliVan

PostThu May 18, 2023 7:15 am

I haven't been able to reliably record 50 fps on SP Cinema PRO cards that should be able to write 330 MB/s. The camera is just constantly dropping frames. Disk Speed Test gives 323 MB/s which should be just enough. I solved the problem by recording 50 fps BRAW on two cards and it has never dropped a frame since then. I just assumed my cards aren't fast enough. Are you sure yours are?

ErockSandman

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 8:20 am

Hey everyone. New to the forum, but long time BM user. I'm still having issues recording externally to SSDs after v7.9. I have reliable used T5s for over a year and more recently upgraded to the Sandisk Pro Blades via the Kondor blue handle. The issue I see is if I record the time code freezes red and the record freezes red, unable to stop. I am forced to shut the camera down to resolve the state.

Reverting back to 7.7.3, which puts the camera at 7.5.1 for me (not sure why), completely resolves the issue. I am able to use both the T5s and the brand new Sandisk Pro Blades via the handle with no issues.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 4:26 pm

ErockSandman wrote:Hey everyone. New to the forum, but long time BM user. I'm still having issues recording externally to SSDs after v7.9. I have reliable used T5s for over a year and more recently upgraded to the Sandisk Pro Blades via the Kondor blue handle. The issue I see is if I record the time code freezes red and the record freezes red, unable to stop. I am forced to shut the camera down to resolve the state.

Reverting back to 7.7.3, which puts the camera at 7.5.1 for me (not sure why), completely resolves the issue. I am able to use both the T5s and the brand new Sandisk Pro Blades via the handle with no issues.

Have a look what this user found out - maybe that is an similar issue with your setup?
viewtopic.php?p=956785#p956785
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

ErockSandman

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 6:28 pm

Thanks Robert. I did look at that thread and have ruled out power as best as I could. I've tried internal batteries, DC, and vmount just powering the camera and no monitor/evf. The issue persists on firmware 7.9 and beyond. I do find it odd that it completely resolves itself on the previous firmware.

Yannick Willox

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 10:09 am

It is my belief USB in general, and even USB-C in particular is becoming a nightmare for everyone involved.

It seems very much hit and miss. Like you, I suddenly experienced the very same issue - but on the old firmware, not on the newer !

But only with a certain T5 (1 of my 13) plus a certain cable, all my other T5 work, but not this one with this cable - sometimes. (all the same stock cables btw !)
On my video PC (and any other pc for that matter) it seems some USB drives (spinning or not) deconnect at will or work haphazardly, depending on which drive you connect to which USB port. Some drives NEVER work on a certain USB port ... I wonder if there are ANY pc users out there that have 100% working usb ports, with any device.

Even my quite new Qnap NAS sometimes crashes the file system when I connect either a SSD to USB-C, or a spinning disk to a USB dock. This rules out Windows issues.

It seems a mystery to me how on earth a company like Blackmagic Design could ever use a USB interface reliably. I came to the conclusion that the USB spec must be completely mismanaged, and/or most USB interfaces have flaws in them. Probably worsened by power/cable issues.

Alex Rarisch

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 4:01 pm

Hola, buenas noches, he tenido muchos problemas con la pantalla de la Black Magic Pocket 6k. desde que instale el update 7.9 la pantalla o algunas opciones de mi camara no funcionan. I can't : :oops: :evil:

+ NO PUEDO Cambiar el tipo de audio que deseo grabar
+ NO PUEDO cambiar la opción de 4k, 6k ,3k ni puedo mover de RAW a Prores
+ NO PUEDO cambiar las opciones de Grados a FPS

y una larga lista de defectos que no tenia mi camara antes de activar. Ahora BM design me dice que no van a ayudarme con la reparación por que ya paso los 3 años de garantía de la camara. Soy el unico que tiene ese problema ?

Me despido
Alex Rarisch

Clarar

PostSun Jun 25, 2023 4:41 pm

Thecreator82 wrote:You are great! as soon as I have time I update! Thanks for listening to us

Thank you friend.that great update.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 5:04 pm

Alex, this is an international forum with English as the main language.

I've used http://www.deepl.com for translation of you message:

Alex Rarisch wrote:Hi, good evening, I have been having a lot of problems with the screen of the Black Magic Pocket 6k. since I installed the update 7.9 the screen or some options of my camera do not work. I can't : :oops: :evil:

+ I CANNOT change the type of audio I want to record.
+ I CANNOT change the 4k, 6k ,3k option nor can I move from RAW to Prores
+ I CANNOT change the options from Gradients to FPS

and a long list of defects that my camera did not have before activating. Now BM design tells me that they are not going to help me with the repair because it is past the 3 year warranty on the camera. Am I the only one who has this problem?

I bid you farewell

Alex Rarisch

Alex Rarisch wrote:Hola, buenas noches, he tenido muchos problemas con la pantalla de la Black Magic Pocket 6k. desde que instale el update 7.9 la pantalla o algunas opciones de mi camara no funcionan. I can't : :oops: :evil:

+ NO PUEDO Cambiar el tipo de audio que deseo grabar
+ NO PUEDO cambiar la opción de 4k, 6k ,3k ni puedo mover de RAW a Prores
+ NO PUEDO cambiar las opciones de Grados a FPS

y una larga lista de defectos que no tenia mi camara antes de activar. Ahora BM design me dice que no van a ayudarme con la reparación por que ya paso los 3 años de garantía de la camara. Soy el unico que tiene ese problema ?

Me despido
Alex Rarisch
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 5:54 pm

I sympathize with the suspicion that USB-C may be the source of problems in which more than 99% of the time devices work as expected but a very small amount fail some of the time and an even smaller amount fail most of the time.

I had been using a cable without issue but a couple of years ago I was able to pinpoint a particular cable as being the cause of problems I experienced. I kept the cable but labeled that cable Bad with some gaffer tape so I wouldn’t rely on it in the future. But occasionally I’ve needed to use the cable and it apparently has performed well. I still don’t rely on it for a day-to-day interface, but as a spare cable when I need something temporarily.

In my Cartesian binary world, I think of things as good or bad, useful or useless. But it appears this cable (and perhaps the USB-C codification) works as if in a quantum world of yes-no-maybe and you never truly know its state until you measure it (until you connect it).
Rick Lang

Richard Termini

PostThu Aug 31, 2023 1:08 pm

Pocket 6k Pro will no longer format my Sandisk 1 TB drive... it all was working fine until... so now I have to format with my computer. I found another such post but no replies that addressed the issue.

Sincabeza

PostMon Sep 04, 2023 3:23 am

6kPro still has an issue with latest FW update.
Wheel wont change the Iris correctly, but OSD works with Sigma art lenses
Previous

Return to Cinematography