BMPCC can be used at a cinema level!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Magicflying

BMPCC can be used at a cinema level!

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 pm

I talked to some friends in Hollywood, USA.
It seems they didn't have a plan to use the BM cameras at this stage. They are still chasing Arri-Alexa and Red Epic cameras.
Could anybody here clarify this to me?
That will be really appreciated.

archcat

Re: BMPCC can be used at a cinema level!

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 pm

The Pocket Camera…maybe not. I think it could. As I always say, the camera is just a tool to capture the image. It's the story that matters.

I remember days of shooting on BetaSP and Digi Beta!!! BUT, that said, yes if people can afford the Alexa or Red go for it they are a better camera than the Pocket Cam. The Alexa is an amazing camera. I personally hate the Red, I'd rather shoot VHS, at least I would get my day! :)

I think the Pocket camera is a great camera for TV. I like the look of the S16 censor, and you can rig it out just like any other camera. I wouldn't shoot a feature on it I don't think. But once I have done a test on projecting it on a big screen you never know!

As far as the 2.5K camera, there are people using it. I'm pretty sure Covert Affairs uses it as a crash/ 3rd camera to the Alexa. I find Blackmagic are not the best at promoting who uses there camera product.

My thoughts

Mark

Kofa

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Definitely! However, probably not. At that level you'll have access to better toys. But on a budget, hells yeah it can. Check out this article from no film school.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/12/ryan-lightbourn-shot-feature-on-red-scarlet-bmpcc-5d-mark-iii/

One thing Canon, RED, and Sony does well is promote their products. On RED's site, there's a slew of projects shot with the camera. BMD should have a page titled "Shot on Blackmagic" that features high end works created with their tools.

My 2 cents.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Rick Young

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 10:07 pm

I've put content up on the cinema screen filmed on both the BM Cinema Camera and BM Pocket Camera and it looks sensational!

Of course, you have to use good glass and get things right in terms of shooting - however, the quality is definitely there - for both the Cinema Camera and Pocket Camera.

Here's a blog piece I wrote about using the BM Camera for cinema work:

http://www.moviemachine.tv/post/good-en ... the-digit/

And here's a movie which was shown in London, a few weeks ago, at the Movie Machine Digital Cinema Festival projected on the big screen looked great:

http://www.moviemachine.tv/video/rick-y ... /81264990/

Hope this has helped.

Cheers,

Rick

-----------------------------
Rick Young - Producer/Director
Editor - Movie Machine
http://www.moviemachine.tv
Last edited by Rick Young on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Sullivan

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 5:57 am

Reality is cheap vhs camera's have been used successfully in cinema's. Reality is most people who have the budget for a theatrical release won't be using a $2000/1000 camera for straight to cinema projects. Why would you? If you had millions, would you use a BMPCC or Arri Alexa? That being said, I would say all cameras are valid as it is more about the story. Does your story have what it takes to be at cinema level?

Kofa

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 7:29 am

Rick Young wrote:I've put content up on the cinema screen filmed on both the BM Cinema Camera and BM Pocket Camera and it looks sensational!

Of course, you have to use good glass and get thinks right in terms of shooting - however, the quality is definitely there - for both the Cinema Camera and Pocket Camera.

Here's a blog piece I wrote about using the BM Camera for cinema work:

http://www.moviemachine.tv/post/good-en ... the-digit/

And here's a movie which was shown in London, a few weeks ago, at the Movie Machine Digital Cinema Festival projected on the big screen looked great:

http://www.moviemachine.tv/video/rick-y ... /81264990/

Hope this has helped.

Cheers,

Rick

-----------------------------
Rick Young - Producer/Director
Editor - Movie Machine
http://www.moviemachine.tv

Great presentation Rick! Really enjoyed watching.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Magicflying

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 4:07 am

archcat wrote:The Pocket Camera…maybe not. I think it could. As I always say, the camera is just a tool to capture the image. It's the story that matters.

I remember days of shooting on BetaSP and Digi Beta!!! BUT, that said, yes if people can afford the Alexa or Red go for it they are a better camera than the Pocket Cam. The Alexa is an amazing camera. I personally hate the Red, I'd rather shoot VHS, at least I would get my day! :)

I think the Pocket camera is a great camera for TV. I like the look of the S16 censor, and you can rig it out just like any other camera. I wouldn't shoot a feature on it I don't think. But once I have done a test on projecting it on a big screen you never know!

As far as the 2.5K camera, there are people using it. I'm pretty sure Covert Affairs uses it as a crash/ 3rd camera to the Alexa. I find Blackmagic are not the best at promoting who uses there camera product.

My thoughts

Mark

Hi, archcat, so glad to receive your reply!
I 100% agree you with that "the camera is just a tool to capture the image. It's the story that matters."
Any more informatioin about RED, it seems you have lots of comments on that?
Do you have any Aerial Filming experience?

Magicflying

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 4:11 am

misterkofa wrote:Definitely! However, probably not. At that level you'll have access to better toys. But on a budget, hells yeah it can. Check out this article from no film school.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/12/ryan-lightbourn-shot-feature-on-red-scarlet-bmpcc-5d-mark-iii/

One thing Canon, RED, and Sony does well is promote their products. On RED's site, there's a slew of projects shot with the camera. BMD should have a page titled "Shot on Blackmagic" that features high end works created with their tools.

My 2 cents.

Yeah, misterkofa, it seems you're so good at marketing!
I am not sure why they don't do that.
Like DJI, they have a lot of customer Aerial Filming videos in the dji.com/showcase.
I agree with you, promoting the camera means showing the video quality.

Magicflying

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 4:14 am

Rick, thanks so much for your sharing!
Very good blog and amazing moive. Thanks again. :D

Magicflying

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 4:20 am

stylz wrote:Reality is cheap vhs camera's have been used successfully in cinema's. Reality is most people who have the budget for a theatrical release won't be using a $2000/1000 camera for straight to cinema projects. Why would you? If you had millions, would you use a BMPCC or Arri Alexa? That being said, I would say all cameras are valid as it is more about the story. Does your story have what it takes to be at cinema level?

Really learnt a lot!
I think what you mean is really similar as "the camera is just a tool to capture the image. It's the story that matters. " said by Mark above.
Because I am working on Aerial Filming, I plan to choose a light-weight and high-quality camera like BMPCC, with the coming DJI ZENMUSE BMPCC gimbal, I just want to know more information about it.
Thanks, Stylz!

Chris Chiasson

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 5:15 am

As much as I like to believe camera matter's less compared to story, when it comes to making a movie, that's very true, but when it comes to selling a movie to a distributor, that's a very different story. Unless you're a documentary or found footage, people want their movies to look as good as the last movie they saw. The cheaper the look is, the less likely they'll see it in the theater, and more likely to just watch in on Netflix or rent the DVD, or simply don't bother with it. After all, if you're paying over 10 dollars or more just to see something once, it better look like something you're paying 10 dollars to see once in the theater. And as much as we shouldn't judge books buy their covers, 90% of the time, we judge books by their covers. Especially distributors, who're the ones looking for something that'll get people in theaters based on 2 minute trailers, which uses the footage from your camera. I know some distributors who'll never buy a movie that's under 720p. Simple as that. I know a guy who shot 3 movies, and they're all unsellable because they're shot in SD, film look be damned. I mean, there's some exceptions, like say Paranormal Activity. But that's because of the building hype from festivals made it easier to sell. Even then, some wanted it re-shot to look "better", realistic look be damned.

Now that's if you're going the route of the Theater chain. Can a movie shot on the Blackmagic Pocket make it into theaters? Possible. I think the look has a fighting chance. 1080 is still an acceptable format to hand in for theater work. I hope 3 years from now, they won't be picky about whether it's under 2.5k or not. The rest depends on how much the audience digs the movie, that egos will be put aside.

That being said, this camera is an awesome Television camera. It's one of the ultimate "distribute it yourself" cameras. It's a fantastic Web Series camera. And direct to DVD and Video On Demand is within your grasp. If you can't get it into theaters, so what? With the rise of streaming video, there's way more options then just the theater. And if you make a good movie, people are going to see it. Because even if people judge books by their covers, people finish the book, recommend the book, and read it again because it had good stories and characters.
Last edited by Chris Chiasson on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Sandiford

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 9:26 am

Of course a movie shot on the blackmagic Pocket camera can go to cinema. It produces S16 style footage at 1080p in raw. For Capturing images it has more than enough. It's what you do with that footage that matters. The amount of work in post, the story, the acting the sound and so on.
You can add very pro gear to the camera including PL lenses. One of the most visually stunning films in years was shot on a S35 camera with 12 stops of latiitude at rgb 4:4:4 at 1080p and that was Tron Legacy. So it depends on what and how you work with the footage. The camera is only one part of cinema level production.

Jules Bushell

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Shoot on the BMPCC, get Brad Pit to star in it and you're golden.

Didn't that other "A" list actor, Tom Cruise, star in a DV movie where he played a hit man?

The technology is becoming less of a factor in making a great movie nowadays as the images can all look very good. Whether or not you'd sell your film to a get a theatrical release is another matter all together.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:Didn't that other "A" list actor, Tom Cruise, star in a DV movie where he played a hit man?

Collateral was shot on a Viper, 1080P 4:4:4 10-bit log uncompressed.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

archcat

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Magicflying wrote:
Hi, archcat, so glad to receive your reply!
I 100% agree you with that "the camera is just a tool to capture the image. It's the story that matters."
Any more informatioin about RED, it seems you have lots of comments on that?
Do you have any Aerial Filming experience?

I don't care for the Red because of the Post Production work flow for one. I am mostly and editor (tv/feature movies) and every time I have a project that shoots on Red there is always an issue getting the dailies to me on time. Never happens with the C300, or the Alexa. Also talking with camera departments the camera software isn't stable it crashes, still not great in cold outdoor situation, etc. And for the rental price, the Alexa is a way better camera. I have not shoot any Aerials with the Red. But those are my beefs with that camera.

Cheers
Mark

dharmaone

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 2:51 pm

We shoot aerials with RED Epic for a couple of years now. Works great, our clients love it. Right now, it's the best camera in terms of in latitude and resolution. Works fine in the cold, we shoot a lot in Scandinavia, a few times near Arctic circle, and have also shot in the Himalayas without troubles.

Magicflying

DJI ZENMUSE BMPCC Gimbal Prototype

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 2:43 am

Just curious, and did some research!
Found some pictures about DJI ZENMUSE BMPCC Gimbal.

http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=v ... 5%FD%D5%D5
ZENMUSE BMPCC 1.jpg
ZENMUSE BMPCC 1.jpg (101.41 KiB) Viewed 8234 times

ZENMUSE BMPCC 2.jpg
ZENMUSE BMPCC 2.jpg (99.79 KiB) Viewed 8234 times

ZENMUSE BMPCC 3.jpg
ZENMUSE BMPCC 3.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 8234 times

Magicflying

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 am

DJI ZENMUSE BMPCC GIMBAL!
Attachments
ZENMUSE BMPCC 6.jpg
ZENMUSE BMPCC 6.jpg (115.65 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
ZENMUSE BMPCC 5.jpg
ZENMUSE BMPCC 5.jpg (102.29 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
ZENMUSE BMPCC 4.jpg
ZENMUSE BMPCC 4.jpg (113.53 KiB) Viewed 8233 times

Magicflying

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 2:19 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:I wonder how well that would work when you cannot alter focus or iris while it is in the air?

I guess normally we could set it before taking-off. :D

Darryl Gregory

Re: DJI ZENMUSE BMPCC Gimbal Prototype

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 5:11 am

Magicflying wrote:Just curious, and did some research!

Research? Don't you mean you searched for it on Google? :D
Anyway I thought it was a funny comment, and i got good laugh :lol:

Thanks for all the hard work :o
I'm not being an ass, I just found it amusing,
And I guess theoretically... searching Google is a form of research nowadays.

Cheers

Magicflying

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 1:44 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:And of course everything would change once you are in the air. You could use a fully manual lens and a variable ND I suppose.

Geoff, yes, you're right! I guess you're very good at filming, right?
Probably there will be some more remote functions for that in the future to make it happen.
:lol:

Magicflying

Re: DJI ZENMUSE BMPCC Gimbal Prototype

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 1:50 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Magicflying wrote:Just curious, and did some research!

Research? Don't you mean you searched for it on Google? :D
Anyway I thought it was a funny comment, and i got good laugh :lol:

Thanks for all the hard work :o
I'm not being an ass, I just found it amusing,
And I guess theoretically... searching Google is a form of research nowadays.

Cheers

Hi, Darryl
Thanks for your stoping by and your comments here!
Yes, you're right, probably it's not a correct word for that.
And hope you Merry Christmas anyway!

Return to Cinematography