Did I just break my camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

t_ruvo

Did I just break my camera

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 8:20 am

Hey all

I'm on a doc trip to the UK (from US) and before I left I picked up a Micro Cinema and a little handheld setup so I could have a nice little raw shooter in addition to the production's main camera. The trouble comes in the voltage. I stocked up on lp-e6 batteries and now on the second day, I attempted to charge them with a 100-240v travel charger, plus an adapter to convert the plug from US to UK. I noticed the charge status light was not functioning, I tried a few configurations of different batteries, chargers, and adapters, all brand new. When nothing seemed to be working, I decided to just work with what juice I had. I grabbed the camera to check the percentages of each battery and without thinking about it threw in one of the batteries I was trying to charge. Now the camera doesn't turn on at all, with any battery regardless of if I tried charging it or not. Did I just fry the camera? If I did, is this something fixable, or am I out of luck? Thanks all.

Brad Hurley

Re: Did I just break my camera

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 9:43 am

If you're traveling maybe you didn't bring the mains power supply for this camera, but that would be the easy test: just plug it in and see if the camera powers up. If you were using a separate charger to charge the batteries I can't see how a battery itself could fry your camera; the more likely scenario is that the batteries are all dead. Canon chargers only work with genuine Canon batteries, and third-party chargers sometimes don't work with genuine Canon batteries. Best bet is to get a charger made for the specific brand of battery you are using.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Cinematography