Gimble Options For BMPC 6K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

J Stutts

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 5:56 am

Hello all. I was just wondering, does anyone use their BMPC 6K with a gimble? If so, what are some options y'all like?
http://film.jstutts.com

Mark Foster

Re: Gimble Options For BMPC 6K?

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 10:49 am

always go with DJI RS-2 or the new RS-3pro

because of there eco system - a lot of manufacturer are making accessories for
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

MrRipfrog

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 8:28 pm

I've been waiting and researching for a while but recently pulled the trigger and picked up the Ronin RS3 Pro with Lidar. The Gimbal seems to work great with the BMPCC 6K and Canon CN-E lenses and the test footage looks great so far. Balancing is pretty straight forward but I do go pretty minimal with the rig setup. It does have some weight to it especially when I add an external monitor onto the base of the gimbal, but I can manage it ok.

I don't have any experience with other gimbals, but I've seen most of all the reviews and decided to go with the Ronin. So far so good here.
Attachments
IMG_0608.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg (343.37 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg (358.64 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

GalinMcMahon

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 9:58 pm

Definitely a DJI. Definitely NOT a Moza. Worst piece of kit I've purchased, hands down.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

GalinMcMahon

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 10:01 pm

MrRipfrog wrote:I've been waiting and researching for a while but recently pulled the trigger and picked up the Ronin RS3 Pro with Lidar. The Gimbal seems to work great with the BMPCC 6K and Canon CN-E lenses and the test footage looks great so far. Balancing is pretty straight forward but I do go pretty minimal with the rig setup. It does have some weight to it especially when I add an external monitor onto the base of the gimbal, but I can manage it ok.

I don't have any experience with other gimbals, but I've seen most of all the reviews and decided to go with the Ronin. So far so good here.

That setup is beautiful. Can you run a vmount to the gimbal and then power your cam off of your gimbal? Also, is there hdmi passthrough for your monitor? I use a Moza Air 2 and the one and only thing I like about it is I can run it for days with my vmount. Not crazy about having to have a hdmi cable throwing it off balance and preventing any rolling action.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

MrRipfrog

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 1:05 am

GalinMcMahon wrote:That setup is beautiful. Can you run a vmount to the gimbal and then power your cam off of your gimbal? Also, is there hdmi passthrough for your monitor? I use a Moza Air 2 and the one and only thing I like about it is I can run it for days with my vmount. Not crazy about having to have a hdmi cable throwing it off balance and preventing any rolling action.

I have seen a couple people mount batteries to the base of their gimbal, but I don't see any clear way to power the camera from the gimbal unless you can power the camera from the Camera Control Port (usb c) but I don't know for sure. You would also need the appropriate cable (usb c to Weipu or dummy battery).

There is no hdmi passthrough that I am aware of but there is the RavenEye wireless transmitter, which could be an option. Unfortunately, you cannot use the Lidar and RavenEye together, only one or the other "currently" they say.

I took a different approach to keep the rig lighter and to accommodate my style of shooting.

I use the pouch that came with the IndiPro 99 battery and put that on my belt that I wear along with a 41" DTap to Weipu wire that I can plug into the camera when I am ready to shoot. The battery in the camera then acts kind of like a backup to keep the camera powered on when I need to set it down or adjust anything. The wire is thin and long enough that I don't feel it affects the gimbal.

I have the SmallHD 702 touch that I can mount to the base of the gimbal with a super thin 25" hdmi cable and it doesn't seem to affect the balance either, but it does add some weight. The other option is I have the Atomos Shinobi which is smaller and lighter, but I need a different mount for it because it only has the screw mounts on the top and bottom.

If I wanted to do any rolling shots, like you mentioned, I would have to just use the internal battery itself and pull the monitor off, but I don't foresee myself shooting many shots like that. But never say never right.

Please post pictures of your setup on the Moza Air 2!

Mark Foster

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 7:06 am

GalinMcMahon wrote:
That setup is beautiful. Can you run a vmount to the gimbal and then power your cam off of your gimbal? Also, is there hdmi passthrough for your monitor? I use a Moza Air 2 and the one and only thing I like about it is I can run it for days with my vmount. Not crazy about having to have a hdmi cable throwing it off balance and preventing any rolling action.

this is one of the accessorie from tilta for the RS-2 (a new for the RS-3pro is in development)

https://tilta.com/shop/battery-plate-to ... plate-kit/

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 09.05.34.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 09.05.34.jpg (205.15 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 2:06 pm

Thanks, Mark. Looks to be an essential option coming for the RS3/Pro for Pocket shooters after adding a lemo to weipu cable.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 3:40 pm

Reading some reviews is sobering though in terms of product reliability, especially those who feel electrical issues have fried gear. Not enough detail in reviews to know where those problems lie.
Rick Lang

John Paines

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 3:40 pm

No idea what folks propose to do with these rigs, but they're preposterously heavy for any extended work. It's hard to believe anyone could manage this gear for more than 20 seconds with decent technique, short of carrying it like a sack of potatoes or a flag pole.

As for the claims above, you can't find any gimbal owner who doesn't insist the rig is "perfectly" balanced and the footage looks great. I'm sure it's true in this one instance, but it plainly isn't in most others.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 10:41 pm

For gimbal support, here’s the new Tilta Lightweight Support System with Vest:

https://tilta.com/shop/lightweight-dual ... 642be9cb64

Certainly seems inexpensive but will it work? TBD
Rick Lang

Patrick Spectra

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 8:56 am

I sparingly use a Moza Air 2 for my pocket 4k. When I do use it, i have the “SMALLRIG Dual Handle Handgrip for DJI Ronin S and Ronin SC Handheld Gimbal - BSS2250” attached.

It helps tremendously using two arms. Think Ronin-M. I had that but the pocket 4k was just too tight for it so got the Moza with the dual handgrip. I use an Anton Bauer Titon Base connected to the front of the Moza for extended power on simple shots. Any shots where cables are a pain, I use camera battery only.

Again I use it sparingly…it has its place but for short bursts. Any longer shots, I use a drone… also, it can get heavy, even for those with lots of practice and even if you have “lightened” the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wemrick1

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 12:54 pm

I'm a hobbyist and have a DJI Ronin 2. I use it with both the BMPCC 4k and 6K pro. It has a unique look. Handheld I get a lot of micro jitters, mostly due to my age. My Tamron lenses are better suited for photography as they tend to "latch on" to a frame which causes occasional jerks in video. I just got a Sigma 17-50 that has stabilization much better suited for video but still with a occasional jerk. Shoulder mounted is best for me if I am looking to get close to using a tripod. The gimbal creates a "floating camera" look. It removes micro jitters very well and smooths out movements in all directions as it controls the speed and ramping of the moves to a great degree. It is heavy even using two hand grips and is only really usable for me getting short deration "B" clips. I use a minimal camera configuration to keep the weight down and battery life of the camera is fine per the short deration of the clips. The shoulder mount is my mobile "A" cam.

John Paines

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 5:06 pm

Gimbals, I wonder. Operation of the equipment is a specialized skill not easily acquired. And without a stabilizing arm, you're still dealing with z-axis bobbing. And even at its best, gimbal movement has that mechanized robocop quality to it. Transpose it to the famous steadicam shots in cinema, e.g.,

and it won't work, or at least not the way it works there, where it feels like someone, not a machine, is actually following them. [The unheard from cineastes here will be delighted to know that this shot, along with some scenes in Raging Bull, was stolen from a documentary called "Lonely Boy", on the 60s pop singer Paul Anka.]

Meanwhile, look at all the shoulder-mounted shooting in cinema and TV today, no gimbal needed. On paper gimbals are cool, but who actually needs this technology or is really prepared to deal with it? What purpose does it serve for the most likely buyers of it?

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 8:42 pm

John Paines wrote:… stolen from a documentary called "Lonely Boy", on the 60s pop singer Paul Anka…

That sent me down the rabbit hole; now I’ll have to find that. Thanks.
Rick Lang

Omar Mohammad

PostTue May 30, 2023 1:20 pm

MrRipfrog wrote:I've been waiting and researching for a while but recently pulled the trigger and picked up the Ronin RS3 Pro with Lidar. The Gimbal seems to work great with the BMPCC 6K and Canon CN-E lenses and the test footage looks great so far. Balancing is pretty straight forward but I do go pretty minimal with the rig setup. It does have some weight to it especially when I add an external monitor onto the base of the gimbal, but I can manage it ok.

Have you used the stock quick release plate or have you bought a different one?
MacBook M3 Pro 16”, 18 GPU cores, 36GB RAM, 1TB | Sonoma 14.4
BMCC6K-FF | Sigma 12-24 f4 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Sigma MC-21 Adaptor
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6

Return to Cinematography