Help me

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

kennedyksco

Help me

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 9:10 pm

I have a black magic pocket camera 6k. Currently running on version 6.5 firmware.. I wanted to update it and i downloaded version 7.8 and when ever i begin the update process it just stays on 0% i waited literally for 2 hours nothing moved, and then i thought maybe its the version.. Then u downloaded version 7.5 but am still facing the same problem.. The reason i wanted to update is because i use a lexar professional 3400x card (128gb) and then it dosent show on the camera.. It used to show buy would be inconsistent now it dosent show.. But the card work on the pc property what can be the problem herr for the card and the failure of update

Please help

rick.lang

Re: Help me

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 4:42 pm

Are you first deleting the Camera Setup using the appropriate icon displayed after you open the unzipped file?

Is your exact version of the Lexar media card still on the approved list of media and are you using the card with the supported frame rates for the codec selected? The approved media lists are found in the BMD Support webpage.

Have you previously formatted the Lexar card in your camera? How is it formatted, exFAT or HFS+?
Rick Lang

kennedyksco

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 4:36 pm

Rick thank you for your response i was at a place with no internet reception.

Honestly i am not aware of delete the setup as your describing here.. I watched some tutorials they simply said download install, plugin then update. Please tell me how to do what your suggesting here.

Secondly my card was working fine the first 2 months of purchase after that is started acting up.. I had formated it before ( both on os x extended and exfat) but the problem is if i put the card sometimes it shows no card then i have to remove and insert several times before it shows.. So i thought the card has a problem.. But when am using in outside the camera on the pc it works perfectly no problem at all.

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 9:46 pm

kennedyksco wrote:… Honestly i am not aware of delete the setup as your describing here...

Hopefully on Windows you have something similar in the install process as occurs on a Mac. Always follow this process for any BMD download/update.

1) download the firmware update .zip file (which you have done). Interesting that 7.9 and 7.5 gave the same result where the update seems to hang at the end of the update.

2) Unzip the download. On a Mac this creates a .dmg file.

3) Double-click to open the .dmg file.

4) Opening it creates a disk image and opens it on your desktop as a window with icons for several items: the Install icon, perhaps the camera manual, and the Uninstall icon.

5) Double click the Uninstall icon to delete the contents of the folder for Camera Setup in your Application folder. It’s recommended to do that delete before proceeding with your install.

6) Double-click the Install icon to update your Camera Setup apps.

7) If you like, you can load your updated Camera Setup app from the Applications folder. Of course it will say something like Camera Not Found.

8) I’d say you should remove any attached storage drives and all media. Normally not necessary but, since you’re have a media issue, remove everything attached to the camera.

9) Turn the camera On if the battery is fully charged or, preferably, while powered by the mains AC power and the camera’s AC/DC power adapter.

10) Insert of end of the reliable USB-C data cable into the camera data port.

11) Insert the other end of the cable to an appropriate USB-C port directly on the computer and preferably not shared by any other device. On a Mac, the System Information Report can tell you if the USB-C controller is shared by any other device. This normally shouldn’t matter, but try this extra step to reduce any unknown factors that might interfere with the install.

12) After both ends of the cable are connected, the Camera Setup should see your camera and its current firmware release. Then select the Update button and hold your breath!

13) The update will appear to proceed quickly but somewhere around 70% complete it may not appear to be doing anything as the progress indicator may not change or changes very slowly. But it is working normally.

14) Suddenly likely after no more than a few minutes possibly, the Camera Setup will inform you the firmware is updated. Now you can breathe again.

Secondly my card was working fine the first 2 months of purchase after that is started acting up… outside the camera on the pc it works perfectly no problem at all.

There’s a possibility that something is blocking the card’s data contact assuming the card is fully seated in the slot. The CFast2 cards do need to be pushed a bit toward the front of the camera to get it to seat properly. Shine a strong light into the slot to see if you can find anything like dust or debris in there and blow that out.

If everything is clean and the card itself seems to be the problem, do you have another card that works with the camera? If another card works, then your first card may have an issue connecting with the camera that doesn’t appear when connected to the PC. Examine the electronic pins and so on…

If no BMD approved card you have works on the camera, but all work fine on the PC, and you can format them on the PC with exFAT, then it appears your CFast2 port is damaged or the internal circuitry has become disconnected or failed. Contact BMD Support.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography