Power Problem

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Roddy Blelloch

Power Problem

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 6:07 pm

I just purchased the 2.5K camera and it won't turn on. I was flipping through menus, familiarizing myself with various record options when I switched between ProRes and DNxHD, then set the camera down for a few hrs. I came back and it wouldn't switch on. I charged it overnight thinking it might be low battery power but still nothing. I tried powering with an external battery - it flickered and the fan turned on for an instant then down it went. Any ideas?

Roddy Blelloch

Re: Power Problem

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Have any of you had a bad charger? I do know that the internal battery has to be charged in order to use any external batts.

Roddy Blelloch

Re: Power Problem Solved with update

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Weird!!! The camera would not turn on all day. Then I plugged it into my computer and updated the software even with camera off. BM camera utility asked for cc to be turned on but no amount of power button pushing would bring it to life. I clicked update anyway and update it did. Suddenly the camera revived! WTF?!

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 am

We've seen that before with older firmware. The camera actually doesn't turn off correctly, but "looks" like it was off; the problem was fixed in later firmware, so there are good chances that it's now fixed in your camera too.

kennethcrs

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 12:34 am

I had the same problem a year ago with the same camera. I posted here and looked for an answer. The only way was to shipped back to BH and they shipped me another camera that works perfectly

Return to Cinematography