How to set RUN RECORD in Pro6K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jim McQuaid

How to set RUN RECORD in Pro6K?

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 7:10 pm

It appears that the PCC Pro 6K is hardwired to run continuous time code. I'm not asking about the problem of syncing multiple devices. I'm asking: is it possible to configure this camera to operate in RUN RECORD mode? I can't find any reference to this in the manual and no obvious control in the menus. So, maybe the answer is NO, we don't allow you to use that mode...or yes, it's hidden here....?
www.turnipfilms.com [from URSA to Pro 6K these days]

John Brawley

Re: How to set RUN RECORD in Pro6K?

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 7:38 pm

The short answer is no.

You can toggle rec time once recording by tapping where the TC is. It will go between TOD code and elapsed time.

What is it you need to do with Rec time ?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jim McQuaid

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 8:08 pm

Thanks for the answer. Toggling the display of TC is cool but doesn't have anything to do with the recorded TC for the clip, alas.

It's certainly not a critical requirement for me, although my initial learning with tape does bias me a little. Mainly, it came to my attention for two reasons. One is that the URSA, which I recently gave up, does allow you to operate in either mode. Two is that I'm doing a medium-large project where it is often useful / necessary to find an offset X number of minutes into an interview. Run Record makes that extremely simple.

I'll survive!

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 4:28 pm

Jim, I'm having a hard time to understand your issue here.

The Pocket and the Ursa do exactly the same: They either show you the free run timecode (int or ext) or clip duration. Only difference is that Ursa can show both at the same time, on the Pocket you have to tap to toggle the display.

Say you have recorded a long interview, with a duration of 12 min. And then in playback mode you want to jump 3:30 min into the interview. Tap the timecode on the display and it will change to clip duration. No move the time indicator to 3:30 min. Tap again to see the free run TC.

Or is there something I misunderstood?

Edit: Well actually there is a special rec run timecode in the Ursa Mini.
From the manual:
If you press and hold the ‘timecode’ button for five
seconds it will switch the camera into record run timecode and the timecode generator
will flash as well as the first two digits of the large timecode display. This indicates that
you are now editing your preset timecode and allows you to set a specific timecode
number for your preset timecode.

Pressing ‘reset’ at this stage will zero the timecode and then you can turn and press
the menu wheel to set the desired value starting with hours, minutes, seconds and then
frames. When you are happy with the timecode, press and hold the ‘timecode’ button
again for three seconds to set this as your preset timecode point. You will notice that
the timecode generator now shows this value and will only increment when the camera
is recording giving you continuous ascending timecode values.
To switch your
timecode back to free running time of day code, press the ‘timecode’ and ‘hold’ buttons
simultaneously for three seconds.

Is it this what I marked in bold what you are looking for?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Jim McQuaid

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 6:32 pm

The "jump 3 minutes into the clip" is mostly a post issue, not a playback in the camera issue. The URSA did behave differently but it's not a huge issue. I was mostly needing to make sure I was understanding the camera correctly, since that feature was available on my previous BM camera.

Thanks for helping.

Return to Cinematography