Monitoring exposure with or without LUT

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Monitoring exposure with or without LUT

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 pm

On the P6K, when using false color to monitor the exposure, do you turn on LUT (for example: BMD to Extended Video) in camera before turning on false color to set exposure or set expose first using false color and then turn on display LUT?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Monitoring exposure with or without LUT

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:On the P6K, when using false color to monitor the exposure, do you turn on LUT (for example: BMD to Extended Video) in camera before turning on false color to set exposure or set expose first using false color and then turn on display LUT?
Unless something has been changed in recent firmware, the viewing LUT has no impact on false color. What you see when false color is engaged is based on the camera's decode transfer function + gamut setting which the menu labels "dynamic range" with three options — Video, Extended Video, or Film. So if you keep a static image in front of the camera, you should see minor differences in false color when switching between those options, but you will see no difference in false color when switching between monitoring LUTs or even turning the monitoring LUT off entirely.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 8:13 pm

I'm on the latest firmware on the P6K. What you said is exactly what I thought too. But, why is this happening? In the images below, the top is the display without the extended video LUT. The middle is the false color that I had on while exposing for image #1. When I turn on the LUT, the image was "so hot or saturated" and horrible. Flipping back to False Color was as expected, nothing changed. So, what is going on here?

LutTest.JPG
LutTest.JPG (57.13 KiB) Viewed 585 times
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:30 pm

What "dynamic range" setting do you have on in the camera menu?

If you intend to view the image using the extended video LUT then the "dynamic range" should be set to "Film".

If you instead have the "dynamic range" setting at "Video" or "Extended Video", you should not apply that LUT to the display (nor in post) because the image is already transformed for display in both "Video" and "Extended Video".
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 10:41 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:What "dynamic range" setting do you have on in the camera menu?

If you intend to view the image using the extended video LUT then the "dynamic range" should be set to "Film".

If you instead have the "dynamic range" setting at "Video" or "Extended Video", you should not apply that LUT to the display (nor in post) because the image is already transformed for display in both "Video" and "Extended Video".

Duh on me. I didn’t check the DR as I always use FILM. It was set to BRAW Extended Video already. Thanks for the help.

Return to Cinematography