Corrupt BRaw Files

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

lotuseaters

Corrupt BRaw Files

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 7:02 pm

Hey there, so I was shooting recently and went to start working on my edit and every 3rd BRaw file from my blackmagic was corrupted. I was filming directly to a SSD Hard Drive, seems like the corrupt clips are from when a battery died. I can't find any solutions anywhere. I've tried every trick I've seen. I attached a couple pics as well. Any possible advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
braw.PNG
braw.PNG (283.46 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

lotuseaters

Re: Corrupt BRaw Files

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 8:02 pm

I ended up paying $228 for a repair fee. I can link it all to you if you'd like. Still would love to hear other ideas or suggestions.

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 9:41 am

Do they play in BRAW player?
If so, get a HDMI recorder and record it from a full screen display of your computer.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

geophrian

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 5:43 am

Same problem. Just wrapped a shoot using two different BMPPC4K cameras. Never had a problem before (had them both over a year and done tons of shoots with them. Upgraded the firmware recently. Have three corrupted files - two from one camera and one from the other. Obviously different media recording it to on each camera.

The don't open in BRAW Player or Resolve. BRAW Player doesn't even respond when I try to open them and neither does Resolve. All other files open just fine (have hundreds of shots from eh past two days - and again only those 3 do not work). Tried in Premiere and VLC with no luck either. Premiere at least gives me an error saying the files are corrupt. Kind of dumb that Premiere is better at recognizing BRAW file problems than Resolve and BRAW player. One of many reasons I'll add to my list of why I still use Premiere predominately instead of Resolve.

The footage does not play at all so if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it that would be amazing.

May try to find a way to revert back to prior firmware since this new version is apparently awful. Image
Anyone at Blackmagic that may read this: Fix this new firmware upgrade soon. This is a huge problem and should not be happening.

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 7:16 pm

Did this happen when recording on Cfast 2.0, or did the corruption happen when recording to external SSD?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 8:52 pm

Did you have newer firmware with gyro data?
I discover a problem after firmware with gyro data on pocket4k and 6k, and downgrade firmware solve the problem.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 11:38 pm

Just to confirm, I encountered no such issues with BRAW or CinemaDNG on the dual camera shoots this week with the BMPCC4K and UM4.6K, all latest firmware. No issues working with the raw files in DaVinci Resolve 18.0.3.
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 11:08 am

rick.lang wrote:Just to confirm, I encountered no such issues with BRAW or CinemaDNG on the dual camera shoots this week with the BMPCC4K and UM4.6K, all latest firmware. No issues working with the raw files in DaVinci Resolve 18.0.3.
All happened after gyro update, if you try to remove battery during recording braw be corrupted, go back with previous firmware, braw is safe.
Now seems that cameras pocket with gyro firmware (and recording optimisation) are more delicate to energy variation from battery or external battery. I did test with two pocket6k with last firmware (problems), go back firmware, no problem, I shoot 1.5 tb without problems.
I’m in touch with support to find the problem.

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 8:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification. In my shoots, power is never removed until after the shoot is over and I’m packing up the gear.
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

Corrupt BRaw Files

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 6:45 am

rick.lang wrote:Thanks for the clarification. In my shoots, power is never removed until after the shoot is over and I’m packing up the gear.
Sure, also in my shooting, I remove battery or connection many time after power off, but when I discover corrupted (wrong closed) clip, I use only one external battery and cfast and found these clips.
Removing battery is the way to replicate this problem that previous never happens also removing battery.

Return to Cinematography