Static Electricity Issue?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Logan Gee

Static Electricity Issue?

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 5:16 am

So I'm working on my first project with the BMPCC and I love it, except for one thing.

Walking around set (carpet floor) I would build up static electricity. Anytime I would come into contact with the metal frame of the pocket camera, the screen would freeze, and then slowly fade to black. I would then have to reboot the camera to get it back up. This happened probably 6 or so times in total. After the first few times I would start touching metal before adjusting the camera.

Has anyone experienced this same thing? I feel like it's gotta be a bad ground or something?

sean mclennan

Re: Static Electricity Issue?

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 am

Logan Gee wrote:So I'm working on my first project with the BMPCC and I love it, except for one thing.

Walking around set (carpet floor) I would build up static electricity. Anytime I would come into contact with the metal frame of the pocket camera, the screen would freeze, and then slowly fade to black. I would then have to reboot the camera to get it back up. This happened probably 6 or so times in total. After the first few times I would start touching metal before adjusting the camera.

Has anyone experienced this same thing? I feel like it's gotta be a bad ground or something?

Bad ground? It's not grounded unless you're grounding it! lol

Wanna fun trick? do this to your big LCD/plasma at home and let me know what happen :P

Bottom line is you are building a charge...then choosing what to discharge into. Don't pick the camera, it didn't do anything to you! :geek:

Return to Cinematography