cine zoom lens: Anybody prefer - Tokina vs. Sigma ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GB_Austin

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 6:07 pm

cameras: (Ursa Mini 12k, BMPCC6k)

I'm torn between: Tokina 50-135mm vs. Sigma 50-100mm

I'm looking for clarity and sharpness in a zoom and I know the Tokina will have less focus breathing and
Sigma is sharper and lower T-stop. I've always shot prime in stills and video and I've realized I need one zoom lens to get me through the day. I shoot a lot of beauty video and fashion, but I've been doing a lot of news and crowds and I have times where I need one do it all zoom. I have a BMPCC6k that I can use for close up work and want the Ursa 12k for distances 50-135.

I own Sigma Art primes for stills and love the sharpness
...but the Tokina has a longer end and just might have the flavor I'm missing.
I am leaning toward the Tokina 50-135 and but I want the sharpness of the Sigma and as Ellory pointed out, ..sharpening in post is not a good idea. -So, I'm leaning toward the Tokina 50-135. Do any of you love yours, or if you've tried both the Sigma and the Tokina, -which is more pleasing to you?
Last edited by GB_Austin on Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ursa Mini 12k BMCC6k FF lenses: Tokina 50-135 PL, DZOfilm 25 PL, Nisi Athena 35 PL. EZrig, DJI gimbal, Blackmagic Speed Editor, Tilta Nucleus-M focus motors and grips, Nucleus Nano II. other cameras: Nikon Z9 and Nikon Z8.

Ellory Yu

Re: cine zoom lens: Anybody prefer - Tokina vs. Sigma ?

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 6:14 pm

Both lenses are good. It’s a matter of what you want in your look. As you already know, the Sigma will have better clarity and sharpness. If that’s what you’re going for, you know the answer. Personally I don’t like to digitally sharpen the images.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 10:27 pm

Not sure of your budget limitations if any, but my two favourite parfocal zooms with constant aperture (that I don’t own) are the $4,500 Tokina 25-75mm T2.9 and the $10,000 Fujinon XK20-120mm T3.5. If you’re trying to use a single zoom for many different situations, both of these may be tempting. Either of my favourites might be worth considering.

These lenses share a similar warm look, sharp enough to shoot wide open but without the high contrast cooler look of Sigma Art. If your subjects favour the higher contrast look, then they are not ideal for you.
Rick Lang

GB_Austin

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 11:36 pm

Hi, Rick.
Yea, I had read that you like the Tokina zooms and somewhere you said you're interested in the Tokina 25-75. I've almost made up my mind to go with the Tokina 50-135. I can get by with my sharp Sigma Art and what I'm using now ....when it has to be sharp. But the Tokina will will broaden my style and I think it's a smart choice for me.

Right now I'm using the Sigma Art 24-35 stills lens I modded with a hard gear ring, a 50mm T1.4 Zeiss Milvus T2 I modded with a hard gear ring and a Nikon 85mm F1.4. And I tell ya, soon as I can I'm going to move all these back to stills photography only and so cine lenses are my future.

I think the Tokina 50-135 T2.9 will complete my focal range, and then I'll go back at some point and replace the coverage under 50mm with true cine glass like the Tokina 25-75 and 1 sharp prime. I can move whatever over to my BMPCC6k but I really appreciate your input on the Tokina zooms. Thanks, Rick.

I'm just about convinced to purchase the Tokina 50-135 T2.9 from Duclos Lenses. I'm tired of working with Cinemoded stills lenses and this will be my first true cine lens. Thanks, again for your input.
..gary in austin, tx
Ursa Mini 12k BMCC6k FF lenses: Tokina 50-135 PL, DZOfilm 25 PL, Nisi Athena 35 PL. EZrig, DJI gimbal, Blackmagic Speed Editor, Tilta Nucleus-M focus motors and grips, Nucleus Nano II. other cameras: Nikon Z9 and Nikon Z8.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 11:46 pm

Have you look at the DZOFILM parfocal zoom lenses? I heard they’re pretty decent.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

GB_Austin

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 1:59 am

I've been considering the Tokina, Sigma and the DZOFILM lenses were my 3rd consideration. Nobody in my town of Austin, TX sells them and I don't know anybody who has them. I could try the DZO's and have them shipped for rental but I think I'd rather have that money put into getting the Tokina. There's always later if I can make big money. There is also the thought that I could get them later on, just to have them as a different look to supply clients.

Thanks again, Ellory. Your suggestions are a big help.

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 3:46 am

Duclos is a very good source for both of the lenses. They’ve got a close relationship with Tokina and supplied my Tokina 11-20mm T2.9 PL zoom when it was first released (suggested to me by Denny Smith). I’d feel confident with that lens.

The lens takes good quality Kenko Tokina 86mm screw-on IRND filters which Duclos also supplies. I use IRND 2/4/6 stops, but I think you can order whatever strengths you need.

You have to be aware of lens flaring so I’d say a matte box is indispensable when using the lens outdoors to control flaring, but for interiors you may not need it. Now if you have a creative reason to use glares then you’ll enjoy them when you want them.
Rick Lang

GB_Austin

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 5:39 am

Ah, that's the info I had read before ...that you have an early Tokina 11-20 you got from Duclos. I have several 86mm ND filters and a variable ND that will all get some use.

I'm one of those who can't stand flair but I'm still going with the Tokina and I appreciate your mentioning that, Rick. I'm not happy with my current matte box, anyway. So, this will be a good time to buy a quality swing-away matte box ..like I've always wanted.

And for indoors, I've got a long career in photography and all my lights have flags and barn doors and with a better matte box, I'm welcoming those challenges to get a different mood and look than the dramatic and tack sharp look I've been doing all these years with stills. A filmic look to the footage will be fun. Thanks for the inupt.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 6:54 am

I do have both lenses. Two Tokina Cine 50-135mm T3.0 (the original version) and one Sigma Cine 50-100mm T2.0 and 18-35 mm T2.0

On my Ursa Mini 4.6k the Sigma does not behave truly parfocal (but I just might have had bad luck) and it breathes a lot during focus pulls. Which is funny because the Sigma Cine 18-35mm T2.0 is a really great lens which I love. But on the longer end I prefer the look and feel of the Tokina, I really love it for close-ups of people. And it is pleasing sharp too.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Ellory Yu

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 am

GB_Austin wrote:So, this will be a good time to buy a quality swing-away matte box ..like I've always.

I guess we all have different likes and needs. I’m more of a clampdown matte box person unless I have prime lenses that needs to be changed while on a stick. I also have a preference for the Tangerine Misfit line but the Tilta gives more bang for your buck and are just as lightweight and more sturdy. Hence, I’ve been fitting my lenses using the MiniMatte but just got this new Matte Box and really liking it.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... d_kit.html
Although I will say I’m not using the VND, have not even given it a try. I just use NDs with it.

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 7:31 am

I’m obviously a big fan of the DZOFilm Pictor Zooms ever since I bought them. Parfocal and minimal to no focus breathing. They are really great.

Otherwise, I’d choose the Tokina over the Sigma hands down. Especially when it comes to that terrible Sigma 50-100. The focus breathing on it is horrendous. And, it technically isn’t parfocal so that does tend to be annoying. I have had some people argue that it maintains focus, but it really doesn’t. The only saving grace to the Sigma 50-100 is the nice looking image and how sharp it is. As long as you’re not pulling focus or zooming in the shot.

Tokina on the other hand is definitely better than the Sigma. But for a budget option I’ll (again) champion the DZOFilm Pictor Zooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

GB_Austin

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 1:28 pm

Robert- You have all the lenses I was asking about. Nice. It seems like people love the Sigma 18-35 and complain about the 50-100 breathing. I have a Sigma 24-35 F2 stills I've converted to cine and it's sharp. I love you mentioned you love the look of the Tokina on close-ups of people. That's the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Ellory- Yea, I think I'll stay with my clamp on matte box, ..for now. I think with a 50-135 zoom I won't be fighting matte box changes as much. And for the Ursa Mini 12k I'll use the built in ND and for the BMPCC6k I'll use the ND filters. And I don't often use the variable ND, ..but it's in my bag when I shoot two cameras. Thanks!

Tim- I've watched your work with the DZOFilm Pictor Zooms and your glamour work I nice and these zooms give a nice look. You do good work with them. I think for now I'll use the Sigma 24-35 F2 + the Zeiss Millvus 50 F1.4. After seeing how you've shot with the DZO 20-55 and how I like the look ..and that's it's only $2500, that could be my possible 2nd lens. I looked up your Youtube, thanks for tagging what lens you use on each one. Your results with the 20-55 with Brinley Steen is sharp enough and it's a very pleasing look and it's just what I'm after. Thank you!
Last edited by GB_Austin on Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 1:40 pm

GB_Austin wrote:Tim- I've watched your work with the DZOFilm Pictor Zooms and your glamour work I nice and these zoom give a nice look. I think for now I'll use the Sigma 24-35 F2 + the Zeiss Millvis 50 F1.4. After seeing how you've shot with the DZO 20-55 and how I like the look ..and that's it's only $2500, that could be my possible 2nd lens. I looked up your Toutube, thanks for tagging what lens you use on each one. Your results with the 20-55 with Brinley Steen is sharp enough and it's a very pleasing look and it's just what I've after. Thank you!

You're welcome! And, thank you for your comments on my work. As for my YouTube, I do a terrible job uploading content to it. If you go to my Vimeo I have a showcase of all the DZOFilm lens shot videos on there. I have a larger amount of work uploaded to my Vimeo overall. https://vimeo.com/showcase/8039715

VMFXBV

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 2:19 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
GB_Austin wrote:Tim- I've watched your work with the DZOFilm Pictor Zooms and your glamour work I nice and these zoom give a nice look. I think for now I'll use the Sigma 24-35 F2 + the Zeiss Millvis 50 F1.4. After seeing how you've shot with the DZO 20-55 and how I like the look ..and that's it's only $2500, that could be my possible 2nd lens. I looked up your Toutube, thanks for tagging what lens you use on each one. Your results with the 20-55 with Brinley Steen is sharp enough and it's a very pleasing look and it's just what I've after. Thank you!

You're welcome! And, thank you for your comments on my work. As for my YouTube, I do a terrible job uploading content to it. If you go to my Vimeo I have a showcase of all the DZOFilm lens shot videos on there. I have a larger amount of work uploaded to my Vimeo overall. https://vimeo.com/showcase/8039715

DZO Retro announced :). (Is your wallet crying? :))
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 2:41 pm

VMFXBV wrote:DZO Retro announced :). (Is your wallet crying? :))

I have moths flying out of my wallet. But I've also spent a lot on new gear lighting wise, and other such items. I may not buy the Vespid Retro, but they will be a great rental option when looking for a more vintage look. Either way, I love the current Vespids a ton.

VMFXBV

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 10:24 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
VMFXBV wrote:DZO Retro announced :). (Is your wallet crying? :))

I have moths flying out of my wallet. But I've also spent a lot on new gear lighting wise, and other such items. I may not buy the Vespid Retro, but they will be a great rental option when looking for a more vintage look. Either way, I love the current Vespids a ton.

:lol: "may not" - come on, you know you want to :mrgreen:

I'm on the anamorphic train myself. Either Atlas Mercury or Great Joy / Nanomorph (if these will ever ship).
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Marshall Harrington

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 2:38 pm

I picked up a set of the Pictor Zooms a couple of years ago. I'd been holding out for the Tokina but it hadn't released yet and I thought I'd use the DZO's and replace them when the Tokina came out. I found that I really liked the footage I was getting from the Pictor's.

When I read that certain glass has lots of character, I have no idea what that means. But having begun in stills, I had some Rokor glass that I felt exactly that way about. I loved the optical quality of the images. Not perfect at all but easy to like a lot. Same with my early Leica glass. I loved the way it went in and out of focus. I never call it bokeh but imagine that's what it is.

Anyway the Pictor's have that character about them. I really like the optical aspect of certain shots. Way better then the Sigma's IMHO. Good luck.

GB_Austin

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 3:09 pm

Very cool, Marshall. Sharpness of the Sigmas was a great quality I was after but there's so many other shortcommings that I'm going with the Tokina zoom. I have some Sigma lenses for stills and they are great for sharpness but kinda boring. So, I agree with your opinions on sharpness being over-rated.

It seems like the DZO Pictor Zooms were a great price when they came out and I've held out long enough to now have the $ for the Tokina 50-135.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 3:44 pm

The Youtube channel of Nice Lady Productions has some great Tokina reviews:

She also has shot some nice sample footage in her reviews to watch and a short demo film.

Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

GB_Austin

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 4:03 pm

Yea, Robert. I can tell you want me to like the Tokina zooms ...and I'm sure I will.

There's lots of videos talking about the lenses. I think I've seen all the Tokina zooms footage out there. And there's not a lot. But to me, I like the look. Thanks for your recommendation and links, Robert.
..gary in austin, tx

GB_Austin

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 5:40 pm

Well, I now have a Tokina 50-135 on the way.
Thank you everyone for your help. I'll post some video links after I've had it for about 3 days.
..gary in austin, tx

Return to Cinematography