Which camera & lens should I choose for indoor-events?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

floh79

Which camera & lens should I choose for indoor-events?

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 4:37 pm

Hello,

I'd like to kindly ask for your advice on planning for a camera we probably ought to buy. I don't have much expertise in that area so I hope I am using the proper vocabulary (Exposure, Iris, ...).

I have recently been working on an indoor event, where we provided the technology. We rented a Sony Camcorder PMW-EX3, which was placed on the balcony in the rear and the camcorder was at about 20 metres from the stage. The stage was not very brightly lit. With Sony PMW-EX3 the brightness of the video result was ok. The tech data says (if you need more, ask for it and I'll add informations):
  • Optical system: F1.6 prism system
  • Sensitivity F10 (Typical) (With 1080/60i, 89,9% reflection, 2000lx)
  • Minimum illumination: 0.14lx (F1.9, +18dB, 64-frame accumulation)
  • Focal length: 5.8 mm to 81.2 mm (equivalent to 31.4 mm to 439 mm on 35 mm lens)

I was surprised that the rented camera only offered interlaced 1080 not progressive. So, for the future, I'd like to be able to offer my own camera to rent out, but I need some advice on choosing one. And I am on a tight budget.

If I just buy one, I'd choose the following camera based on the specs and my knowledge: Sony PXW-Z280
The key features, which I want, would be:
  • Same brightness of the result like Sony PWM-EX3 or better (farthest zoom with Iris set to F1.9)
  • Same Focal lenght like Sony PWM-EX3 or greater
  • 4K format and at least 60fps progressive
  • 12G SDI connection

I prefer to keep within the Blackmagic Design ecosystem so I'd need the Blackmagic URSA Broadcast G2 but which B4 parfocal lens should I get to have a similiar (or better) exposure in darker settings (= I mean that the captured images would have a decent level of brightness - sorry I am lacking the right jargon here to describe this properly).

If I wanted to also buy a camera for FullHD, I'd like to buy the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro. Together with a HDMI-SDI mini converter I can provide FullHD images to video mixers and I could simultaneously record up to 6K for post production. Same question here: Which EF lens should I get to get the similiar exposure situation as above. The lens of course must be parfocal and remotely controlled* (Zoom, Focus, Iris, ...). Are there EF lenses meeting these specifications?

*) We'd use Blackmagic Zoom/Focus Demand. Would they work with both cameras above?

Best regards
Floh

Richard Knight

Re: Which camera & lens should I choose for indoor-events?

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 6:21 pm

Just for you info the Sony EX series of cameras will do 1080P but only upto 30fps.

floh79

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 pm

Richard Knight wrote:Just for you info the Sony EX series of cameras will do 1080P but only upto 30fps.
Hi Richard, thank you for pointing out that. You're right about it has 29,97fps for 1080 resolution. I forgot to add 50/60fps when I wrote it only offers 1080i.

In the meanwhile I think B4 lens are too expensive, so maybe I should look for EF lens instead but I dunno if it matters in respect to exposure (B4 vs EF). I'm also unsure if I rather take a Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 respective Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12k (currently there is only 300€ difference).

Best regards
Floh

Ellory Yu

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 2:30 pm

floh79 wrote:I'm also unsure if I rather take a Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 respective Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12k (currently there is only 300€ difference).

IMO, the G2 is an excellent camera and my personal preference would be it. However for practical reasons, I suggest buying the UMP 12K instead for (1) the price difference, (2) it’s a newer camera and that means you’ll likely get firmware upgrades, and (3) BM has not come out with any new firmware for the G2 in over 2 years. As for the latter, this can be a good thing being that the G2 is solid as it can be, or BM no longer wants to support it in lieu of putting their efforts in newer cameras- typical of their MO from past experiences.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

floh79

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 9:58 am

I think similiar as Ellory wrote.

So... no idea which Lens I should get so it hat same exposure like Sony PXW-Z280? I don't want risk buying any lens together with BMD URSA Mini Pro 12k and then find out the images are too dark... :?

Best regards
Floh

wemrick1

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 3:09 pm

I have no idea what your camera settings were when you did the previous video but this line buggs me:

Minimum illumination: 0.14lx (F1.9, +18dB, 64-frame accumulation

I have the UMB G2 and I would not like to be doing a video at +18dB unless I was willing to accept some noise. That much amplification is pushing that camera to it's limits. Beyond that I have nothing. This question reads like a video engineer's final exam. You have a lot of conditions going on at once here. I hope someone else has the background to fence all of this. Sincerely best of luck.

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 2:52 am

Both the cameras you mention are 1/2" fixed lens camcorders. The Broadcast G2 is 2/3", using standard broadcast B4 lenses, of which there are many both new and second hand, in HD and 4K. The Fujinon LA16 4K, that was designed for the camera, will run about £4K. Most of these lenses will offer far greater (and wider) focal ranges than those other camcorders, with many offering a doubler to extend the range 2X. They almost always are very fast too, being typically, f1.6/8.

As regards sensitivity, the UBG2 is : f11 with 2160p59.94/f12 with 2160p50, at 2,000 lux with 89.9% reflectance + an additional 1.1 stop light loss using 4K B4 mount. The PXW-Z280 is quoted as: F12 (typical, 3840 x 2160/59.94p, High Sensitivity Mode); F13 (typical, 3840 x 2160/50p, High Sensitivity Mode), again at 2000 lux, 89.9% reflectance. So they are more or less identical - although the UBG2 loses light through it's B4 adaptor, the PXW-Z280 is only a 1/2" sensor, therefore less sensitive than the bigger 2/3" sensor, to begin with (3 chip prisms also account for some light loss). However, the UBG2 too has dual gain and it is not clear what the 'High sensitivity' means in the Sony specs, possibly the +18db, you speak of. In which case I imagine, if these specs are all true, the UBG2 would be less noisy at the same sensitivity, but that is my speculation.

The PMW-EX3 is very old now so it is outclassed in most every way by both the other cameras, it is only HD too.

floh79

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 9:45 am

Hello Walter & Steve,

thank you very much for your reply!

Steve Fishwick wrote:Both the cameras you mention are 1/2" fixed lens camcorders. The Broadcast G2 is 2/3", using standard broadcast B4 lenses, of which there are many both new and second hand, in HD and 4K. The Fujinon LA16 4K, that was designed for the camera, will run about £4K.
Do you mean the Fujinon LA16x8BRM? Will it do autofocus? (somewhere I read only EF is capable of autofocus :? :?: )

Steve Fishwick wrote:Most of these lenses will offer far greater (and wider) focal ranges than those other camcorders, with many offering a doubler to extend the range 2X. They almost always are very fast too, being typically, f1.6/8.
So with that combo I'll be able to zoom like Sony Camcorder I mentioned here? I mean will these combo with Fujinon lens reach the equivalent to 439 mm on 35 mm lens? I'm still learning about the crop factors. If I'm not wrong, the crop factor of 2/3 sensors is 3,9? So with that lens I'll get the an equivalent oto 499,2mm on 35mm lens (without extender), am I right?

Steve Fishwick wrote:an additional 1.1 stop light loss using 4K B4 mount.
Would lens with EF mount have better exposure (lower light loss)?

Steve Fishwick wrote:...and it is not clear what the 'High sensitivity' means in the Sony specs, possibly the +18db, you speak of.
I believe it's the +18db gain. Just marketing words as usual. ;)

Steve Fishwick wrote:In which case I imagine, if these specs are all true, the UBG2 would be less noisy at the same sensitivity, but that is my speculation.
Thank you a lot, you helped me a lot!

Steve Fishwick wrote:The PMW-EX3 is very old now so it is outclassed in most every way by both the other cameras, it is only HD too.
I know, the last time I rented we "only" needed 1080p. I have to be sure I'll get the same exposure experience (or better) and I want avoid buy wrong (=too dark exposure & to short zoom) lens.

Best regards
Floh

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 1:52 pm

floh79 wrote:Do you mean the Fujinon LA16x8BRM? Will it do autofocus? (somewhere I read only EF is capable of autofocus )

Yes I do, it is servo with aperture, focus and zoom but it is not auto focus - no B4s are normally. The CN-Es 18-80 and 70-200mm are EF, Super35, AF and have stabilization but, I am not sure if all that works on the BMD electronic EF mount. They are only T4.4 too and with no where near the focal range of B4s - it's the nature of larger sensors.
floh79 wrote:So with that combo I'll be able to zoom like Sony Camcorder I mentioned here? I mean will these combo with Fujinon lens reach the equivalent to 439 mm on 35 mm lens? I'm still learning about the crop factors. If I'm not wrong, the crop factor of 2/3 sensors is 3,9? So with that lens I'll get the an equivalent oto 499,2mm on 35mm lens (without extender), am I right?

Even a basic standard range B4 lens like that is equivalent to 20-260mm, in Super35 terms, 20-540 with doubler. But many are 20x zooms, that will reach well beyond 700mm. If you want to go super crazy, some box lenses reach out to well over 3000mm. Outside of telescopes there is nothing on earth like the B4s for range and features, in one lens: https://tinyurl.com/2d6ncby5
floh79 wrote:Would lens with EF mount have better exposure (lower light loss)?

Yes it would but you will not find many parfocal zooms, with such range, as fast , for any money. The best tend to be T2.8 and modest in range. So you are kind of back to square one, with less reach and flexibility. Only a true and very expensive native 2/3" ENG/Studio camera, such as a PXW-450/750, would be better in low light, with the same flexibility. Some cheaper camcorders maybe too.

Howard Roll

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 2:11 pm

wemrick1 wrote:I have the UMB G2 and I would not like to be doing a video at +18dB unless I was willing to accept some noise. That much amplification is pushing that camera to it's limits.

18db might be pushing the Sony close to it’s limits, for the UBG2 the second ISO range starts at 18db. On the G2 18db will be noticeably cleaner than 12db.

Good Luck

Return to Cinematography