BMPCC4K who has downgraded to FW 6.1?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

WahWay

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 7:11 am

I have both the Pocket 6k Pro and 4k so I decide to downgrade the Pocket 4k to FW 6.1. There is tremendous loss of features but it gives back Cinema DNG instead of BRAW. If I needed the extra features I still have them with the Pocket 6k Pro. I'm keen to use Cinema DNG on this camera.

Has anyone downgraded their Pocket 4k cameras and what do you find and will you go back to BRAW?

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 8:18 pm

WahWay wrote:I have both the Pocket 6k Pro and 4k so I decide to downgrade the Pocket 4k to FW 6.1. There is tremendous loss of features but it gives back Cinema DNG instead of BRAW. If I needed the extra features I still have them with the Pocket 6k Pro. I'm keen to use Cinema DNG on this camera.

Has anyone downgraded their Pocket 4k cameras and what do you find and will you go back to BRAW?
You can if it’s born with cdng, in a somewhere time Blackmagic Design change display hardware of pk4k then this change require different driver to manage newer display. If your camera had newer display you cannot downgrade to cdng.
In past I did many test with cdng and braw, with pocket 4K and with ursa mini pro G1, cdng seems sharper but often are aliasing and false dectails, that are not good for many kind of videos.
I keep ursa firmware with both braw and cdng to have double choise but quality of braw, especially in q0, q1 is perfect also for stressing Vfx shot (I do a lots of green screen and I use pocket4k as photogrammetry tool and I can exctract perfect texture for obj without cdng.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

WahWay

Re: BMPCC4K who has downgraded to FW 6.1?

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 8:25 pm

Is being sharper and more aliasing the only different between cDNG and BRAW or are there something else that is different? For me sharper camparison to more details are entirely different thing.

carlomacchiavello

Re: BMPCC4K who has downgraded to FW 6.1?

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 8:57 pm

WahWay wrote:Is being sharper and more aliasing the only different between cDNG and BRAW or are there something else that is different? For me sharper camparison to more details are entirely different thing.
Shot with your camera, you can press photo button to have uncompressed cdng and at same time a braw in q0 or 3:1 and you can see directly that you not have so real difference (test in resolve, if you open in photoshop or lightroom you see a post production sharpening).
Try a shooting on tripods to have exactly the same picture

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography