Do I need mist filter or can that look be created in Resolve

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

daktulus

Do I need mist filter or can that look be created in Resolve

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 5:04 pm

Can the dreamy filmlook I get with a mist filter be easily recreated in Resolve?

Brad Hurley

Re: Do I need mist filter or can that look be created in Res

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 5:20 pm

Resolve has diffusion FX (you might need the Studio version for it); there are also third-party plugins/apps that can do this, such as Scatter, by Video Village.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

roger.magnusson

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 pm

If you don't mind the price, there's the excellent third-party Scatter plugin for DaVinci Resolve which does exactly what you want. It's only available for macOS but support for Linux/Windows is apparently coming as well.

If you want to roll your own in DaVinci Resolve Studio, take a look at the "Aperture Diffraction" effect.

Mark Foster

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 6:03 pm

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 7:55 pm

Looks very good. $199 USD annually seems steep for someone who would only occasionally use the plug-in like me, but not an issue if you are a professional editor or colourist going to be using the product all the time in which case the $499 USD perpetual fee is no big deal. Hmmm what to do?
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 3:41 am

Here's an example of using a 1/4 Mist for several shots and as well in post in the grade for Resolve I also used the Glow Effect to amplify the effect shot in camera.

I'd say that a Mist Filter for in camera is definitely worth it. You can slightly attempt to replicate in Resolve, but you get better results for sure doing it in camera.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 5:44 am

If I am doing the camera work then my preference is to make it using the camera, therefore the pro-mist 1/4 is always in my bag. I use it with the Sigma lenses a lot but avoid using it on soft lenses like the Rokis or Xeens. On the other hand, I do a number of post work from other productions and therefore I have invested in effect filters for DR and find it a necessary thing in my tool chest. Everyone’s post filter suggestions above is definitely worth looking into. They usually have trials for you to try before you buy.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 12:17 pm

In camera filter is better, I prefer in camera if you not need to do some strange post pro of videos.

Remember that :
- promist size (power) is related to focal length, if you use different focal length you should have different filter to match different strength
- if the effects is too much is very difficult to remove later
- if you have special kind of lights and reflection you will bake in picture that style (that I like it).

Post filter
- you have same effects that give you same strength independent from focal lenght source
- emulate effects on different light source but not give you real different effects (but you could like it).
- you can apply and test different look without bake it in picture

To me, I prefer to use in camera and when I can I play and like promist, promist black effects, low contrast filter and more, but it’s matter of taste.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

roger.magnusson

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 12:33 pm

The Scatter plugin attempts to accurately reproduce the actual real-life filters. If you want to switch between Black Pro Mist 1/4 and 1/8 for different focal lengths, you can do so very easily. You don't have to mess around with other settings if you don't want to.

It won't have the side effect of having speckled bokeh for filters that have them, but I think a lot of people would find that a bonus.

rick.lang

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 5:56 pm

Scatter probably could pay for itself by allowing you to experiment in post with many different effects and strengths to find what you like prefer for a given clip. If you already use a variety of physical filters on the camera, that’s great to use them.

It’s like my large collection of IRND filters so having 2-4-6 stops built-In the camera is convenient but may not be better overall. However I can see purchasing Scatter as economical to avoid purchasing many individual filters.
Rick Lang

ShaheedMalik

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 9:44 pm

This company seems to have the old Tiffen Digital OFX filters.
https://www.avalive.com/Tiffen/DFXBPCSF ... Detail.php

rNeil H

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 3:57 am

It's really difficult for me to match what I could get in camera diffusion by software. It's sorta kinda but not really. Though I haven't paid for anything past the full RG Universe.

I've at times used black mesh on the back of the lens. And drops of clear fingernail polish on a UV filter which got a different but also nice effect in small amounts.

Plus a couple of the "name" diffusion devices.

Everything is a bit different in feel, and what it seems best suited for.

Just never been as pleased with software softening. That said, I tend to make do with a little of it, rather than messing around while shooting anymore.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ellory Yu

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 2:46 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:This company seems to have the old Tiffen Digital OFX filters.

This website is not user friendly. It wants your info before it can tell you their price. Also, the Robot verification doesn’t seem to work. I can’t get the price. It’s a questionable website. I’m not going to give them my business.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 5:42 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:This company seems to have the old Tiffen Digital OFX filters.

This website is not user friendly. It wants your info before it can tell you their price. Also, the Robot verification doesn’t seem to work. I can’t get the price. It’s a questionable website. I’m not going to give them my business.

I only posted it as an example, sorry. You might be able to find a copy from a smaller retailer or on Ebay. The company that bought the Tiffen digital ofx filters sell them on a yearly subscription now and they are expensive. The best bet is to see if you can can find a disc version of these. They work in Resolve 18.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 7:14 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:

I only posted it as an example, sorry. You might be able to find a copy from a smaller retailer or on Ebay. The company that bought the Tiffen digital ofx filters sell them on a yearly subscription now and they are expensive. The best bet is to see if you can can find a disc version of these. They work in Resolve 18.

They’re no longer selling it - Tiffen Dfx Digital Filter Suite v4. The only places that you can download it is via torrent places that’s infested with virus so do not attempt.

ShaheedMalik

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 2:31 pm

Ellory wrote:

They’re no longer selling it - Tiffen Dfx Digital Filter Suite v4. The only places that you can download it is via torrent places that’s infested with virus so do not attempt.

I knew there had to be another company that sold digital filters. Here you go.

Scatter.
A buy one license is $499.
https://videovillage.co/scatter/

roger.magnusson

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 3:07 pm

The first three replies in this thread already mentions or links to Scatter. I think people get the point by now. ;)

Return to Cinematography