Letter to Grant Petty, “Great Pictures Are Not Enough”

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Phil Vardalos

Letter to Grant Petty, “Great Pictures Are Not Enough”

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 11:22 am

As BMCC and BMPCC camera operators we need more………….It’s time for the team at Black Magic to concentrate on the firmware fixes we’ve been asking for. For example, to be able to record great audio, in camera, without a Mix Pre or Juiced Link and see the levels on the cameras monitor.

If this is just a firmware fix, the question isn't why it's why not........if it cant be done just tell us and we'll understand. Adding value to existing products is just good business.

thomas bruegger

Re: Letter to Grant Petty, “Great Pictures Are Not Enough”

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 12:34 pm

yes please it is getting frustrating.....
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 1:07 pm

You will never get a response to this question. Tried myself many months ago, making the same simple request. Can they fix these things or not? soon the fanboys will be on you about lowering your expectations, reminding you this is a cinema camera, and that pro can fix the unfulfilled promises with more gear and extra steps. And before long, this post will be swept to the off-topic section by the moderator, as they seem to feel asking CERTAIN questions about this product is not appropriate in the section about this product.

if you want a BM camera that IS getting updates, buy a pocket. Otherwise, we have to suck it up and keep drinking the kool-aid promises from BM.

merry christmas

sean mclennan

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 3:37 pm

vardalos wrote:As BMCC and BMPCC camera operators we need more………….It’s time for the team at Black Magic to concentrate on the firmware fixes we’ve been asking for. For example, to be able to record great audio, in camera, without a Mix Pre or Juiced Link and see the levels on the cameras monitor.

If this is just a firmware fix, the question isn't why it's why not........if it cant be done just tell us and we'll understand. Adding value to existing products is just good business.

Why should they respond to this when you can't even be bothered to spell their name right?

And no, adding value to future products is good business. That drives sales. Adding features to existing products is good customer service.

Grzegorz Styczen

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 10:39 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
vardalos wrote:As BMCC and BMPCC camera operators we need more………….It’s time for the team at Black Magic to concentrate on the firmware fixes we’ve been asking for. For example, to be able to record great audio, in camera, without a Mix Pre or Juiced Link and see the levels on the cameras monitor.

Why should they respond to this when you can't even be bothered to spell their name right?

And no, adding value to future products is good business. That drives sales. Adding features to existing products is good customer service.

I disagree since contrary to future possible products, you actually can buy a bmcc or bmpc, using your moneyz. Sounds profitable.

I feel for BM for being spammed by us aka the angry mob, but at the same time adding simple features *seems* so simple... I just went through an old "will pay $$$ for black magic lantern" thread, hilarious :mrgreen:

thehadgi

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 1:04 am

This is a classic case of a new entrant into a market that was responsive to the consumer at first to come out with their differentiating product. Now that their steam is rolling and they have a business foothold, their focus is shifting from being a genie granting the 'angry mob's demands' to actually developing a business strategy and planning around a supportable model. See it all the time working in IT. Going through it right now with a vendor.

Wonder how many people complaining have experience in the software/hardware development life cycle, QA, and impact to the business. I understand frustration, but don't understand ignorance of industry processes

thehadgi

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 1:59 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:This sounds like you regard BMD as a new company, they were producing world-class products long before they came out with a camera.

I guess I was thinking in terms of the camera industry/section, not the software/recorder/etc industry.

But maybe you have a good point. Maybe they should have the experience down to know how to handle bleeding edge tech dev with the market by now?

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 4:20 am

thehadgi wrote:
Geoff Baxter wrote:This sounds like you regard BMD as a new company, they were producing world-class products long before they came out with a camera.

I guess I was thinking in terms of the camera industry/section, not the software/recorder/etc industry.

But maybe you have a good point. Maybe they should have the experience down to know how to handle bleeding edge tech dev with the market by now?

Most companies interested in a new product line for which they have little or no experience internally will hire new blood to gain their expertise. It may be that BMD doesn't or can't operate that way with regard to the development of their camera product line. Or it may be there is a scarcity of expertise available to them. Regardless of those difficulties, they have made wonderful products (albeit lacking in some respects but in time all areas will improve). I can sympathize with them for giving it a great effort and hope they have continued success. It seems many of the people here understand the complexities they have undertaken. So far the Achilles Heel has been the suppliers they contract to and forgive me if I think its time they apply their unfortunate experiences on the BMCC and BMPC4K to ensure they now have a handle on the complete process of producing cameras so that this camera will soon be in your hands.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 7:13 am

to the OP....told ya.

Phil Vardalos

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 12:04 pm

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:to the OP....told ya.

I still say "Great Pictures Are Not Enough" even if no one at BM is listening.

Jules Bushell

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 3:13 pm

vardalos wrote:
shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:to the OP....told ya.

I still say "Great Pictures Are Not Enough" even if no one at BM is listening.

They are enough if you're shooting a narrative feature film, or a short film with a budget. YOu tend to have to use external accessories like EVFs, rigs, external audio recorders etc. For time management you just play the last clip for time code and make sure you're no where near the limit. And you don't want to erase clips on camera on set, recipe for disaster.

But for those who just about scrape enough for the camera or are using it for other types of work eg, ENG , or family album stuff etc. the firmware is lacking features.

So it's each to their own, I guess.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Return to Cinematography