Ursa G2 - Clips are getting mixed-up on SSD

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

YuriRuijten

Ursa G2 - Clips are getting mixed-up on SSD

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 6:57 pm

Hi,

My recorded clips are not in order when I shoot everything on 1 card. In Windows, Davinci, also in camera when i try to playback.

A couple clips are in order and then clips from much later that day come next. And so on...

I noticed that the camera date always resets to Jan 2000 after some time. So ordering via Date Created gives this result.
But ordering via File Number is also random, looks like they all look to the middle name here: A015_01011213_C005.braw.

Is that number the date? And why is my date not saving in camera?
I received this G2 as a refurbished model from Blackmagic. My G1 didn't have this problem.

rick.lang

Re: Ursa G2 - Clips are getting mixed-up on SSD

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 4:29 pm

YuriRuijten wrote:… A015_01011213_C005.braw.

The date of that clip is month January, day 1, 12 hours and 13 minutes.

When you go to the camera menu settings SETUP / page 1, you update the date and time. The camera will retain the date as long as power is provided to the camera via battery or mains. When power is no longer provided, the date is maintained via a capacitor on the circuit board. But it won’t keep providing trickle power to the date and time indefinitely. If you want to ensure all settings are retained over a longer period of time, you need to provide mains power where you store the camera. I keep my URSA Mini 4.6K powered up (with the monitor door closed the draw of electricity is low). Even so before any shoot, quickly verify all settings are current and correct as the cameras don’t keep flawless time for long which is why jamming to a Timecode generator such as a Tentacle Sync is recommended during a long shoot.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 5:47 pm

Rick, if the G2 is stored for a long period without power, and the capacitor power runs out, will the capacitor be refreshed and recharged the next time the camera has battery and in used? I've had my G2 stored away in its pelican case for a while now, without batteries.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 8:39 pm

Yes as I understand how a capacitor works; it’s part of the current draw until it has reached its maximum stored charge.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 4:40 am

rick.lang wrote:Yes as I understand how a capacitor works; it’s part of the current draw until it has reached its maximum stored charge.

Thanks. I’ll take it out this weekend and power it up. I’ll also check the settings.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 10:12 am

still is good practice to check the time before every shoot (as well as the other metadata settings.) I have found the time to be off after a few days of sitting although have not found other metadata to change. I only count on that capacitor to keep time for a day.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

YuriRuijten

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 6:28 pm

Still that shouldn't happen.

On my last G1 the time was always correct. Also after a while.
On this G2 the time seems to be resetting, but even during a shoot the clips get mixed up. If I hit replay it often shows a clip from some hours back...

YuriRuijten

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 6:53 pm

rick.lang wrote:
YuriRuijten wrote:… A015_01011213_C005.braw.

The date of that clip is month January, day 1, 12 hours and 13 minutes.

When you go to the camera menu settings SETUP / page 1, you update the date and time. The camera will retain the date as long as power is provided to the camera via battery or mains. When power is no longer provided, the date is maintained via a capacitor on the circuit board. But it won’t keep providing trickle power to the date and time indefinitely. If you want to ensure all settings are retained over a longer period of time, you need to provide mains power where you store the camera. I keep my URSA Mini 4.6K powered up (with the monitor door closed the draw of electricity is low). Even so before any shoot, quickly verify all settings are current and correct as the cameras don’t keep flawless time for long which is why jamming to a Timecode generator such as a Tentacle Sync is recommended during a long shoot.

Keeping the camera powered up also seems a bit over excessive. That means your sensor is powered and taking run hours, which must decrease the life span.

It doesn't seems to be the capacitor. All my settings are still there when I turn on the camera.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 pm

You can use camera tool (software) to up to date the date. Before A shooting connect cameras to computer, start camera tool, power up camera and game is done. Simpler than many other solution.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

wemrick1

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:27 pm

These cameras don’t hold time long without a battery. Even with a battery in place the demonstrate a substantial quiescent current draw and will drain the battery rather quickly. I try to use the habit of checking settings before shooting.

Return to Cinematography