50mm Prime for the BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bill Maroulis

50mm Prime for the BMPCC

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 12:58 pm

I looking for a nikon lens for use with the BMPCC that I would use in lower light situations or indoors. I have a fewer wide angle lenses but looking for one that would be a little stronger for medium closeups on a subject. I prefer manual focus and aperture, I do have a Nikon Metabones SpeedBooster for the camera which is why I also prefer a fully manual lens.

I found this, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar T ZF.2 Series Manual Focus

If anyone has any opinions on this lens or suggest something similar, my budget for this would be under a 1000. Thank you.

Mac Jaeger

Re: 50mm Prime for the BMPCC

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 2:54 pm

This is a fine lens, but probably not what you are looking for, since even with the newer Pocketcam Speedbooster this would still be a light telephoto lens, and if you have the original (non pocket specific) speedbooster even more so. Probably a 30 mil would fit better, but that's up to you. If you find 50 mm to be the right focal length, then the ZF.2 is a fine lens, rather fast at f/1.4, and even faster on speedbooster, probably even too fast for proper focussing closeups.

Tomek Pawlowicz

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi Bill.
I have this lens and it is my favorite: razor sharp image from wide open, build like a tank.
If you would like to see some shots done with it I can sent you few macro RAW frames via email.

I'm using EF version with BMCC but ZF.2 has manual iris control so it will work great with BMPCC.

Merry Christmas
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz

Jason Montalvo

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 4:47 pm

Dumarrus wrote:Hi Bill.
I have this lens and it is my favorite: razor sharp image from wide open, build like a tank.
If you would like to see some shots done with it I can sent you few macro RAW frames via email.

I'm using EF version with BMCC but ZF.2 has manual iris control so it will work great with BMPCC.

Merry Christmas

Dumarrus, what adapter are you using for the ZE 50 ?

Bill Maroulis

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Mac Jaeger-
Appreciate the response, currently my highest focal length is 24mm and I am using the original Nikon to m4/3 SpeedBooster. I thought about a Rokinon Cine 35mm t1.5 as a potential option but was not sure. I may have to rent or borrow prior to purchasing to see if the 35 vs the 50mm is what I require.

Dumarrus-
I appreciate the response and offer, I have actually seen some footage on other cameras with the Zeiss but not a Blackmagic. If you could send some my way it would be greatly appreciated (wm at w-m.co) Thank you and have a good Christmas.

Return to Cinematography