EF to EF Speed booster.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chronic

EF to EF Speed booster.

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 7:58 pm

Been searching for this and am getting nowhere. Just wondering is there a speed booster to mate my EF 70-200 Canon lens to my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6k [generation 1] ? The camera states it is Canon EF body mount, so is my Lens, I just want a speed boost for the extra stop down with light.

John Brawley

Re: EF to EF Speed booster.

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 8:36 pm

It doesn’t exist.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Mark Foster

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 8:52 pm

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Chronic

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 9:51 pm

John Brawley wrote:It doesn’t exist.

JB

Thank you.

Chronic

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 10:05 pm

[quote="Mark Foster"]

They really killed it with me when they said I had to remove the IR filter in my new camera. No WAY!!
Why not a speed booster clear glass with no tinting, filtering and all that unneeded gobeldy gook..? :evil:

John Brawley

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 1:11 am

The lucadaptors magic boosters aren't *realllly* adaptors in the same was a "speed booster" is....

It's a full time modification to your camera / mount so that it's always fitted with that additional optic that sits between the rear of your lens and the sensor. It's not really designed to come in and out like a speed booster is...

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Mark Foster

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 3:40 am

John Brawley wrote:The lucadaptors magic boosters aren't *realllly* adaptors in the same was a "speed booster" is....

It's a full time modification to your camera / mount so that it's always fitted with that additional optic that sits between the rear of your lens and the sensor. It's not really designed to come in and out like a speed booster is...

JB

i know, but it is currently the only way to emulate the function of a speedbooster.
but the optical quality is also not comparable with the parts from metabones.

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Chronic

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 3:49 am

Mark Foster wrote:
John Brawley wrote:The lucadaptors magic boosters aren't *realllly* adaptors in the same was a "speed booster" is....

JB

i know, but it is currently the only way to emulate the function of a speedbooster.

I'm already having thoughts of getting with my friend who is an optical lens grinder and making one out of an extender :-) Hardware hacking is one of my favorite past-times so long as the risk of ruin is zero.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 1:37 pm

Mark Foster wrote:

JB

but the optical quality is also not comparable with the parts from metabones.

I had it with last pocket6k buy used, I tried it, but I disassemble and mount again original ir filter on sensor. To my eyes I loss too much quality.
I tested with a L series of canon (lenses on tripods to avoid motion and change of focus) but the angle gained is not enough if I loss dectails, at edge and at center of lens.
Unfortunately it should require to adjust back focus for every lens, could be good for single lens use but if you have a glass set is not good for me.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Chronic

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:13 pm

.[/quote]I had it with last pocket6k buy used, I tried it, but I disassemble and mount again original ir filter on sensor. To my eyes I loss too much quality.
I tested with a L series of canon (lenses on tripods to avoid motion and change of focus) but the angle gained is not enough if I loss dectails, at edge and at center of lens.
Unfortunately it should require to adjust back focus for every lens, could be good for single lens use but if you have a glass set is not good for me.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk[/quote]

Thanks for that info, You may have saved me from going down a worthless rabbit hole. I'm just sick and tired of this thing we call "Crop Factor" I call it "Crap Factor" !! :twisted:

Return to Cinematography