BMD Studio Camera 4K Pro: Live digital zoom (remote)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

floh79

BMD Studio Camera 4K Pro: Live digital zoom (remote)

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 11:40 am

Hi everybody,

For an event I‘d like to use Studio Camera 4K Pro, which will stay static (no cameraman). The lens will be set so that the whole stage is captured (=4K). Now I want to use „digital zoom“, if we only want to capture a part of the stage. We only need FullHD resolution for the event.

Our Idea: Because the customer is lacking manpower (cameramen) the person, who is responsible for live mixing, will crop the image. So, is it possible to remotely crop the screen so he‘ll get a FullHD signal (no quality loss) if the crop is happening on the camera side (4K to FullHD)? If yes, how do we do that?

Best regards
Floh

Uli Plank

Re: BMD Studio Camera 4K Pro: Live digital zoom (remote)

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 7:37 am

We do that a lot for theatrical events, but in post. I don't see any means to follow the action when doing it live. But then, I'm not that familiar with ATEM.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Howard Roll

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 2:06 pm

There's no crop mode on the studio cam so it would have to be done in the switcher. You'd need a 4K switcher set to output 1080, then use a DVE to punch in 1:1. The region of interest could be manipulated in real time using the positioner if so equipped. Alternately an external ROI scaler or UDX could be used at the cost of additional processing delay.

Good Luck

Darryl

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 11:53 am

Hi Floh,

There are some practical issues to consider as well. It is possible to Zoom remotely using the Camera tab in the ATEM software. You will need to be careful about focus though as it won't take much change in the zoom to put the image out of focus, and there are only 2 M43 lenses that respond to remote focussing. Probably more importantly if the camera is static, you can't change the person/object in the frame. You just get a larger/ smaller version of the same image which may or may not be what you want. We hadca gig yesterday where one Studio was at the front pointing at the audience. Generally this was left static, but for Q&A an operator went to the camera so we could move it to the right person in the audience. This meant another camera was left as static, but in this context it was a trade-off we could manage.

The DVE option mentioned in another post may be the solution for you.

Darryl
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

floh79

PostWed Oct 12, 2022 6:27 pm

Hi thank you for sharing the ideas. Unfortunately we don't have 4K switcher yet (we want buy one when BMD release newer 4K Switcher like Constellation 4K). For now I don't see a possible way without buying devices, so there are no such built-in solution. If I'm not wrong the Studio Camera 4K Pro cannot used as webcam if connected by USB-C which is sad because then I just could use a laptop with OBS and then stream by NDI.

Anyway, thanks for sharing thoughts.

Best regards
Floh

Uli Plank

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 4:01 am

The Zhiyun gimbals offer the feature of using an iPhone (maybe Android too), where the phone tracks the person and the gimbal with a better camera will follow.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

floh79

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 9:35 am

Hi Kim, yes that is what I was thinking about an electric Pan/Tilt feature. Because try to use gimbal the Studio Camera 4K Pro would be challenging. I also hope for a box version of Studio Camera 4k Pro. :idea:

Best regards
Floh

Uli Plank

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 10:18 am

Of course that’s not a solution for today. I just tried to point at an available alternative for smaller cameras.

Darryl

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 8:19 am

I have used a Birddog PTZ camera, and it does take a bit of skill to use it effectively, and I avoid on-air moves where possible. There is a noticeable lag between pushing the joystick and when the camera actually starts moving. I don't know what other PTZ systems are like, but a camera on a tripod is definitely easier to position than a Birddog with remote PTZ.
Darryl Severn

Kit:

floh79

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 9:57 am

Hi Darryl, I'd rather store some presets so the operator just can switch between the hotspots like (lectern, sign language interpreter, follow faces, theatre area, whole stage, VIPs, ...).

Sure if you want steer the camera with PTZ, its better to have some experiences. ;)

@Kim: Go on... your projects are impressing... :) I'd prefer use SDI for video signals.

Best regards
Floh

Darryl

PostSun Oct 23, 2022 9:28 pm

floh79 wrote:Hi Darryl, I'd rather store some presets so the operator just can switch between the hotspots like (lectern, sign language interpreter, follow faces, theatre area, whole stage, VIPs, ...).

Agreed and that is pretty much what we do in that venue. The problem comes when the speakers walk around and out of shot on the presets.
Darryl Severn

Kit:

floh79

PostMon Oct 24, 2022 2:08 am

Darryl wrote:
floh79 wrote:Hi Darryl, I'd rather store some presets so the operator just can switch between the hotspots like (lectern, sign language interpreter, follow faces, theatre area, whole stage, VIPs, ...).

Agreed and that is pretty much what we do in that venue. The problem comes when the speakers walk around and out of shot on the presets.
For that we have the main camera. So the "vacant camera" is the second one in case our cameraman is "sleeping" or we need different view. ;)

Best regards
Floh

Darryl

PostWed Oct 26, 2022 1:54 am

floh79 wrote:For that we have the main camera. So the "vacant camera" is the second one in case our cameraman is "sleeping" or we need different view. ;)

Sounds like a plan. Hope it works out for you. There's no reason why it shouldn't.
Darryl Severn

Kit:

Return to Cinematography