External Monitor, etc. for CC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

videoguy

External Monitor, etc. for CC?

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 10:05 am

I've pretty much decided on the CC...

I've read a lot about how some people don't like the touchscreen for focusing... if that is the case, do any of you have suggestions for a relatively cheap-ish monitor or something that I can use for focusing and whatnot?

When I was looking at the 5D3, I was originally looking at the Atomos because it was also a field recorder. I don't think I need that anymore... so any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thomas Wong

Re: External Monitor, etc. for CC?

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 10:47 am

BMCC use SDI output, so you probably can't use those cheap 7" LCD
I've seen a ikan 7" IPS monitor with HDMI & SDI input, it's not cheap
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... amera.html

another choice will be a samurai (non-blade) if you can still find it, it's about the same price as the ikan monitor but 5". You may also want an external recorder. 1) record both at the same time for backup 2) if you need longer recording time, samurai has ProRes LT 3) it use SSD and also 2.5" HDD (1TB for less than $100) 4) it comes with a hdd dock to transfer from your SSD or HDD
BMCC 2.5k, Canon 5D mk3
Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II, Rokinon 14mm cine T3.1
Edelkrone Slider Plus v2, iFootage mini crane M1, Glidetrack Hybrid HD with Steadicam arm & vest, Atomos Samurai

adamroberts

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 11:12 am

If you are on a budget you could look for a used smallHD DO6 with HDSDI.

Solid build, will out last your camera.

The new smallHD AC7 is another good option.

If you are looking for an EVF you could look at the Cineroid or Alphatron EVFs. Not cheap but well made and have great features like audio meters, false colour and more. Again will outlast your camera.

RXLA84

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 4:28 am

thomas325 wrote:BMCC use SDI output, so you probably can't use those cheap 7" LCD
I've seen a ikan 7" IPS monitor with HDMI & SDI input, it's not cheap

another choice will be a samurai (non-blade) if you can still find it, it's about the same price as the ikan monitor but 5". You may also want an external recorder. 1) record both at the same time for backup 2) if you need longer recording time, samurai has ProRes LT 3) it use SSD and also 2.5" HDD (1TB for less than $100) 4) it comes with a hdd dock to transfer from your SSD or HDD

Did you happen to look for the samurai above? I was looking for one but could not find. Thanks!

videoguy

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 6:09 pm

I believe the original Samurai is now discontinued and replaced with the blade.

Is there a reason not to get the blade? It seems like it is a "better" samurai?

adamroberts

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 6:31 pm

The Blade seems over kill for use with the BMCC. It's main purpose is as a recorded. The BMCC records internally in RAW or ProRes. So the Blade is not adding anything unless you requires dual recording.

For a lot less money you could get a smallHD AC7.

videoguy

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 8:58 pm

I can get the Atomos Samurai Blade for the student discount. I forgot to mention that!

With that in mind... thoughts?

MattAnsini

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 pm

VideoGuy wrote:I can get the Atomos Samurai Blade for the student discount. I forgot to mention that!

With that in mind... thoughts?

I use it with the BMCC EF and I absolutely love it.

adamroberts wrote:The Blade seems over kill for use with the BMCC. It's main purpose is as a recorded. The BMCC records internally in RAW or ProRes. So the Blade is not adding anything unless you requires dual recording.

For a lot less money you could get a smallHD AC7.

I agree. I ended up getting the Blade because I was already looking at the ninja for my 5d and it made more sense financially to get the Blade instead of the Ninja AND an SDI monitor for the BMCC.

However, I have found great benefit from dual recording with my BMCC. I have been getting cheap 2.5'' 500gb and 1tb HDDs (not SSDs) to record in ProRes HQ while I record RAW on the camera. When I'm done with the shoot, I just put the HDD into a storage case and use that as my backups while I work the with the RAW.

I'll point out, I too am a student filmmaker. While this is not a perfect system (it is lacking the safety of a raid system), it is working great for me for the time being. Looking it over, this was an overall cheaper way to do archive my footage. I can manage getting drives, but dropping another $1,000 on a raid drive just for backups. It has been said a million times on these forums, this is an expensive camera to operate, so trying to squeeze every penny is crucial if you are not using it professionally where it can generate constant income.

Return to Cinematography