How does the CPU affect my workflow (new Mac Pro)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

StefanNach

How does the CPU affect my workflow (new Mac Pro)

PostFri Dec 27, 2013 11:43 am

Hello!
I am going to get the new MacPro with the following Specs:

-16GB (4x4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
-512GB PCIe-based flash storage
-Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

I am not sure, what processor i want to get, because i don't know much about computers and how it will affect my work.
I am thinking of one of these:
-2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
-3.0GHz 8-core with 25MB of L3 cache

I want to work with BMCC 2.5k-footage (Cinema DNG). I am mostly using Davinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro X.
Will i feel the difference of these 4 cores?
Will Davinci be able to use all 12 cores? If not, am i better of taking the 8-core ( has more GHz)?
I do not care, if the final render may take more time, i just want a smooth workflow where i can easily preview my work in realtime.
Are the 12-cores just better if i work with many programs at the same time, or will it affect my workflow more (for example number of nodes i can preview in realtime)?

I already checked the Davinci-guide, but it did not say anything about the new Mac Pro, yet.
I hope you can help me, I don't know much about computers ( as you can probably see...).

Thanks in advance!
Stefan

rick.lang

Re: How does the CPU affect my workflow (new Mac Pro)

PostFri Dec 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Stefan, perhaps only a handful of people have received their new Mac Pro at this time and those people only ordered the standard 4-core or 6-core configurations since any 8-core build-to-order machines are not shipping until January and I think 12-core ship in February!

You might get a hint of what you need from the Resolve Configuration Guide by looking at the older Mac Pro recommended configurations regarding 12-core. What is key in your requirements is that you want real time performance as much as possible. To achieve that it is very likely that the 12-core machine will be more suit your purposes. Not sure what resolutions you will be using for acquisition, timeline, and final deliverable render(s). To keep your previews running in real time, you may not be running a timeline at full resolution while colouring and editing, but of course your deliverables can be rendered from your original high resolution footage.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography