Any plans for still photography/time lapse update?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ssnomar

Any plans for still photography/time lapse update?

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 1:18 am

Hey, are there any future plans to release a firmware update that would allow STILL photography, preferably with a built in time-lapse feature like the one found in the Panasonic GH3?

From my laymen knowledge of this technology, it seems like this would be a rather simple feature to implement no?

Any insight into this matter (even rumors/speculation) would be appreciated.

squares

Re: Any plans for still photography/time lapse update?

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 4:05 am

Sorry, what are you asking for? There is already a time lapse function and each frame can essentially be used for still photography (albeit at much lower resolutions than still photos from DSLRs).
Doug D.

ssnomar

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 6:41 am

squares wrote:Sorry, what are you asking for? There is already a time lapse function and each frame can essentially be used for still photography (albeit at much lower resolutions than still photos from DSLRs).

Uhhh yeah sorry, real dumb question. I should have clarified. I own a BMPCC but haven't actually used it yet and wasn't aware there was a time lapse feature. The one I used did not seem to have a time lapse feature and I assumed it hadn't been added yet.

Is the ONLY way to take stills through the time lapse feature? Is there any way to take stills just by pressing a button (ie one button press one picture, as with standard cameras).

Apologies for the terribly misinformed original question.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 6:50 am

Perhaps you're requesting a single frame advance record mode such as used for "stop motion" animation (flat cell artwork, "claymation", etc.)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_motion

This feature has been requested many times. BMD is aware of it. Maybe they'll add it, maybe they won't. We'll have to wait and see.

Such a feature could also be used to take single frame exposures similar to any stills camera. Without it, as squares says, BMD cameras currently record RAW essentially like burst mode on a DSLR … taking many exposures in a row (24-30 fps) … but at much lower res than most modern stills cams. In RAW mode, each frame is a CinemaDNG file, with hundreds or thousands of them recorded on the SSD depending on the duration of a "take".

ssnomar

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 7:08 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Perhaps you're requesting a single frame advance record mode such as used for "stop motion" animation (flat cell artwork, "claymation", etc.)?

This feature has been requested many times. BMD is aware of it. Maybe they'll add it, maybe they won't. We'll have to wait and see.

Such a feature could also be used to take single frame exposures similar to any stills camera. Without it, as squares says, BMD cameras currently record RAW essentially like burst mode on a DSLR … taking many exposures in a row (24-30 fps) … but at much lower res than most modern stills cams. In RAW mode, each frame is a CinemaDNG file, with hundreds or thousands of them recorded on the SSD depending on the duration of a "take".

Thank you for your response. I'm new to this forum and the search function doesn't seem to work too well. I was hoping someone had more concrete answers as to whether the ability to take single frame stills would be added in a future firmware update. But alas it appears everyone is in the dark on the matter given that BMD has no official word.

AdrianSierkowski

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 7:49 am

I wouldn't see single frame really coming to the cameras, however-- there is a time lapse function, mildly hampered by the lack of shutter speed options for it. I'd love to have access to a few seconds shutter speed when shooting time-lapse for example, but alas am limited to 1/24th of a second max (@24p)
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Justin Donoghue

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 1:20 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote: I'd love to have access to a few seconds shutter speed when shooting time-lapse for example, but alas am limited to 1/24th of a second max (@24p)

I'd love this too. Being able to vary the shutter speed is what makes time-lapse interesting.

AdrianSierkowski

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 6:41 pm

I don't think it's a technological limitation Geoff, rather a labor limitation-- it just seems there are other aspects which they are working on with a limited staff.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Tom

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Set it to a really slow timelapse - press record twice with a second interval.

Job done.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Return to Cinematography