BMPCC / BMPC4K Questions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BurntPapyrus

BMPCC / BMPC4K Questions

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 am

Hello there,

I am considering purchasing both the 4k production camera and the Pocket Cinema Camera (for different uses) but have questions about both of them.

With the pocket camera, can you plug it in to the mains and shoot at the same time or do you need separate battery packs?

Same question for the 4K camera really. Is there a powered solution that doesn't rely on batteries?

For the pocket camera I was hoping to get an adapter for EF lenses. Can anyone recommend one?

What sort of rig are people editing on for 4k prores? I suppose I need to know if I have to upgrade my PC as well.

All answered most welcome.

Steve

adamroberts

Re: BMPCC / BMPC4K Questions

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 9:47 am

The cameras ship with a mains charger. This can be used to power the camera when you have access to mains power. If you have no mains power the same power input can be powered by an external battery.

As for EF lens adaptors... Lots of discussions already in the Cinematography section of the forum. Have a browse.

ProRes is pretty easy to work with. You can edit on a laptop.

Running Resolve for grading 4K is another matter. Best to look at the config guides available at the top of the Post Production section of the forum.

BurntPapyrus

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Adam,

Thank you that was incredibly helpful.

Many thanks,

Steve

Jules Bushell

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 6:56 pm

BurntPapyrus wrote:Hello there,
Same question for the 4K camera really. Is there a powered solution that doesn't rely on batteries?

Steve

I heard nothing short of a 6GB RAM graphics card such as the NVIDIA Titan (expensive) will do for 4K work on DaVinci Resolve.

Do a search in the Post Production forum, it's been discussed a few times.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

BurntPapyrus

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 12:28 pm

I bit the bullet and purchased the pocket camera already as I need it for shoots. Should be arriving in a few days. I've got an FD lens converter coming as well which I am hoping will mean I can use this lovely 50mm f1.8 FD cannon lens I have. If it works, I have a few FD lenses which I can use with the camera without having to go down the EF route.

will do for 4K work on DaVinci Resolve.

That's great info, thanks. I'm thinking I shall need major upgrades to use Resolve anyway. That can wait until next year though. This year is about getting the production equipment together (camera, sound recorder, lighting).

Return to Cinematography