Does shooting in higher quality = less noise?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

Does shooting in higher quality = less noise?

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 2:46 am

I recently have been testing a RED Komodo and a Pocket 6k Pro.
I really, really like the weight and FOV of the Komodo, and when I paired it with the SLR Magic APO Microprimes, the image is really lovely.
I was test shooting with my kids indoors at night, just using natural light from a few tungsten bulbs in fixtures and lamps. I was at 800ISO and pushed 2 extra stops in some cases... and couldn't find noise. I was shooting in 6k R3D MQ and viewing in an HD timeline. I was really impressed.
Then I took the P6kPro and shot at 5:1 BRAW compression and got results better that I normal get. I wanted to see how shooting at roughly the same-sized files looked compared, as I usually shoot LQ (on Red) or 12:1/Q5 (in BRAW) to save hard drive space.

SO is this something that's always the case, or am I taking a placebo?
"Higher Quality Codec = Less Noise in the Image" ??
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Uli Plank

Re: Does shooting in higher quality = less noise?

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 4:19 am

Well, noise is originating in the sensor, it's 'the dance of the molecules'.

But, compression can make its more obvious, DCT in particular, apart from cameras that do some filtering. Take Sony, for example, they do this in their hybrid cameras. Getting excellent low-light footage at the cost of loosing detail since that's no temporal filter.

Recently, Red started to use DCT too, while they were using Wavelet before. Wavelet is softening at higher compression, while DCT tends to produce blockiness. AFAIK, BM is also using DCT.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 9:40 pm

Red code had enable be default denoiser, it’s in metadata how to decode it with denoise at different level.

Anyway, red had many routines at boot of camera to optimise fpn noise and more. If you wait and do all you have excellent picture, miss someone and you can find some problems that most of people give to only one or another brand.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Ryan Earl

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 3:35 am

Adam are you also comparing the noise in a 4K or higher timeline? Are you monitoring in 2K or 4K? You mentioned viewing in a 2K timeline and I think that alone can hide a lot of noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography