LCD stays turned off when EVF in installed

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

kowen2000

LCD stays turned off when EVF in installed

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 am

Hi folks:

I just bought the EVF from the 6K Pro, but when I install it, it makes the LCD turn off even when my eye is no where near the EVF. I understand that it has a sensor that shuts off the LCD when you put your eye against the EVF, but either that is malfunctioning or I'm missing something.

Any advice would be appreciated.

hsuxao

Re: LCD stays turned off when EVF in installed

PostSat Feb 18, 2023 8:51 am

I have the same issue. It might be firmware related.

Steve@Aberdeen

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 5:52 pm

Same for me - sometimes! Indoors and the screen is off when my eye is close to the EVF; occasionally the screen doesn't come back straight away when I move my eye away. Outdoors, once the screen goes off, more often than not, it seems to stay off and I've needed to disconnect the EVF to be able to setup.

A supplementary question - the EVF has an additional SM icon to the lower left of the timecode. Anyone know what that signifies - I can't find any reference to it in the bmpcc manual?
16" MacBookPro (2021; M1Pro; 16GB RAM)
DV Resolve Studio 18...
BMPCC 6kG2
Canon 5D MkII
Canon EF lenses (mainly 16-35mm1:28L II, and 24-105mm 1:$L for the BM)
Definitely an amateur - trying to do my best for local groups & charities

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 5:58 pm

Usually in photo cam you can disable it or map to a button the eye sensor check on os, I had classic 6k and I can’t check it.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Steve@Aberdeen

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 3:58 pm

I've done some more tests and, whilst it behaves as I believe it should whilst indoors (screen off when eye up to EVF, screen back on when eye away from EVF - detected by light sensor at bottom of eyepiece), the EVF seems to dominate when outside in bright light (that is, the screen stays off even when my eye is away from the EVF and the light sensor is uncovered). I can't say that's every time, but it's frequent enough to be very inconvenient.

It's almost as though there is a second light sensor over-riding the one in the EVF (albeit behaviour I can't repeat with a torch). As noted in my previous post about this, when working outdoors I sometimes have to unplug the EVF to see the screen in order to check/change some of the settings (especially recording parameters) as these aren't available in the EVF unless I swap out histogram and VU displays.
DV Resolve Studio 18...
BMPCC 6kG2
Canon 5D MkII

Larry Masters

PostWed Apr 26, 2023 5:59 pm

Has anyone found a fix for this? I just received the EVF and when it’s attached the LCD is off. Does not matter what position the EVF is in or the light conditions. Is the EVF defective if the camera?

Larry Masters

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 6:34 pm

Larry Masters wrote:Has anyone found a fix for this? I just received the EVF and when it’s attached the LCD is off. Does not matter what position the EVF is in or the light conditions. Is the EVF defective if the camera?

My EVF was defective, BMD support said it could have been a faulty sensor. I replaced the EVF and everything works as expected.

Steve@Aberdeen

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 8:17 am

Mine works as it should indoors (screen on unless my eye is up to the eyepiece - it's just when outside that the screen stays off. A bit of clarification: when outside and I first turn the camera on, the screen usually comes on OK; put my eye to the eyepiece and it goes off - and then stays off. Move indoors and all returns to normal.

I can't explain it. If behaviour was consistent, I could accept there was a fault in the EVF - but I can't figure out how the rig senses whether it's indoors or outdoors!
DV Resolve Studio 18...
BMPCC 6kG2
Canon 5D MkII

Larry Masters

PostMon May 01, 2023 12:06 am

Have you reached out to support? They spent the time with me to check a few things. I even rolled back the upgrade while they waited to see if it was a firmware issue.

Steve@Aberdeen

PostWed Jul 05, 2023 9:39 am

I haven't yet tried to contact BMD - from what I understand, they're based in London and I live in NE Scotland. If they need to inspect, it means posting my camera to them and I lose it from heaven knows how long. When working outdoors and using the EVF for hand-held shots, I can work around the problem by setting everything needing the screen in advance; I've tried the bluetooth apps on my iPhone and they don't seem to cover the screen-only settings (they'll tell me what codec is set, for example, but not let me change). Exposure settings work fine through the EVF. If I'm working on a tripod outdoors, I just unplug the EVF. Indoors, no problem as it switches between screen and EVF.

Unless BMD actually read this forum and respond with some further advice, I think I'll carry on with the limitation...
DV Resolve Studio 18...
BMPCC 6kG2
Canon 5D MkII

Return to Cinematography