SSD recording issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

aussietrev

SSD recording issues

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 10:24 am

Hello, I have just picked up a secondhand BMPCC 4k camera. I raced and purchased a 1Tb Samsung t7 shield and updated the firmware on the camera from 7.3 to 7.9.1

I plugged it all in and the ssd was not recognized, so I did as suggested and only plugged the ssd in once the camera was on. Now the drive was recognized but as soon as I touch the record button the camera froze. All buttons and screen is unresponsive until I disconnect the usb cable and then the camera works again.
I tried all the different braw and prores formats with no change. I tried formatting the ssd with the camera but the 'disk formatting screen never stops ( I let it run for over an hour) the disk does format fine when connected to a pc though.

I figured this must be an issue with the firmware so I downgraded to 7.3.7, Now the camera will record but when I press stop the red record button flashes with an apostrophe and nothing has been recorded to the disk.
I have also tried resetting the camera many times with no improvement.

I am thinking that it might be the USB cable but it and the drive are brand new and the t7 shield is a recommended drive.

Does any have any suggestions?

Uli Plank

Re: SSD recording issues

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 1:11 am

Format it on the computer first and then try on camera. Plus, being new doesn’t mean it’s good.
I’d first look for another cable.
To check the SSD copy a heap of data back and forth on the computer.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mike Potton

Re: SSD recording issues

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:47 am

Sell the SSD and by some decent CFast cards. Check out the multitude of other posts about SSD problems on the forum. Just not worth the hassle...

Return to Cinematography