Next 2023 URSA Update Wishlist

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Next 2023 URSA Update Wishlist

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 8:00 pm

Okay, since it is the holiday season it feels right to put together the wish list for what gifts we'd like to receive. However, this will be a list of the new features, new physical improvements, and so on and so forth for the next URSA Camera update to hopefully come in 2023. Since the URSA Mini Pro 12K was in many ways the G3 I'll call this the G4 for now. However, it's entirely possible Blackmagic could go with a new naming structure and introduce a new camera line.

URSA Mini Pro G4 Wish List:

1) CFExpress Type B Cards for internal media. The future has become clear over the last two years as more cameras embrace CFExpress media. Type A is primarily used by Sony, but Type B is used by Canon and RED. This will increase the write/read speeds capable of the media allowing for hopefully higher frame rates or more uncompressed RAW recording.

2) Updated URSA Viewfinder Design that allows more flexible maneuvering of the position. Similar to the modification that happen a few years back. Internal OLED Screen includes updated 4X3 size for Status Info to be outside image like on the Pocket EVF. Viewfinder can be powered and receive video signal from one cable like Alexa EVF. The current URSA Viewfinder was designed in 2015, so after nearly 8-Years its due for an update.

3) URSA Micro Camera. The demand has been there for a box camera for a while. So I'll throw this in there. No XLR Ports, maybe Mini XLR Ports if it can fit. Smaller and lighter than URSA Mini Pro G4, but with less physical features and slightly less capabilities. Would make for a great B or C Cam for the bigger URSA Mini Pro.

4) Built-In Side Plate. This way we don't have to buy a third party one to attach. I've found having the SmallRig or Wooden Camera Side Plate invaluable. So it's a must. Especially since the SmallRig places the Side Handle in an inopportune position against the Viewfinder Power and SDI ports. I love having the Cold Shoe Mount on the side for a Timecode Generator Box.

5) D-Box Back-End Built-In. More D-Tap and more Lemo Ports are always a plus. Would be great to not have to buy a third party attachment. And, since we're at it...

6) Replace Hirose 8-Pin at front with Lemo Port for Lens Motors. Power lens motors without having to go to back of camera.

Add more below. What do you want to see in the next URSA Camera?
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

timbutt2

Re: Next 2023 URSA Update Wishlist

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 7:11 am

7) VistaVision / "Full Frame" 16K Sensor. Includes 12K Super 35 Window, and 6K Super 16 Window. At 10,914 Pixels across, what's interesting is that if you shot the VistaVision sensor in 9:16 Vertical Orientation then you could crop in still to Super 35 and have a 10K Image still. Perfect for 8K Delivery. Why? Well, shooting Vertical in VistaVision does allow the most flexibility for creating a Super 35mm Window since the width is exactly the same as a Super 35mm Window would be when shooting the sensor horizontally. But there would be a resolution difference. Resolution doesn't matter that much so the difference between 12K and 10K is minimum.

Either way, this is to satisfy the growing demand for larger sensor sizes while also keeping Super 35 alive. Lensing will come at the increased cost for such a camera however, and expect to pay a bigger premium for a VIstaVision 16K Sensor. If you're not willing to commit to $15K Price Tag, then opt for the Super 35 12K only UMP. URSA Micro will remain 12K Super 35. Only the Mini Pro will get the 16K Sensor Option.

POST NOTE: I'm also reluctantly defending shooting Vertical Video in this idea. I hate vertical video. I hate it with a passion.

wemrick1

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 1:09 pm

Continued support for the Ursa Mini Broadcast G2. I really like this camera a lot.

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 3:39 pm

wemrick1 wrote:Continued support for the Ursa Mini Broadcast G2. I really like this camera a lot.

I have a feeling if and when we see a new Ursa Cine camera, the existing Ursa body will live on for longer in the Broadcast model. ;)

timbutt2 wrote:6) Replace Hirose 8-Pin at front with Lemo Port for Lens Motors. Power lens motors without having to go to back of camera.

It's a 12 pin hirose B4 port and not simply for power. It would be better IMV if 3rd party lens motor manufacturers had adopted it, since it is still very flexible, after many years and I'd love to see a zoom/aperture control/grip like you see on B4 lenses for universal fitting to Cine lenses, rather than for me, the awkward Rosetta mounted remotes.

Athan Merrick

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 5:00 pm

High quality single stop internal ND filters from 1-8 stops like the Venice and Ronin 4d. Such a timesaver, no matter the level of production.

Some kind of autofocus solution for small doc projects, whether that's at the sensor level like Sony/Canon or affordable lidar a la DJI, again such a timesaver for many shots on docs.
https://www.athanmerrick.com
https://www.instagram.com/athanmerrick/

Adam Langdon

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 6:41 pm

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted single-stop NDs. SO much so that I run a matte box with a 0.3 at the ready in recent months and I love the control.

If the Ursa Mini Body wasn't so power-hungry I think it could still have a few iterations left.
I'd really like to see something that's a bit more friendly to longer battery usage.

Also, thinking about how the VV 16k would work... I wonder, if readout times seem impossible, that they could make it as a VV/LF 8k instead. That would save on card/HHD space and hopefully promise some usable rolling shutter.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

timbutt2

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 7:25 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:Also, thinking about how the VV 16k would work... I wonder, if readout times seem impossible, that they could make it as a VV/LF 8k instead. That would save on card/HHD space and hopefully promise some usable rolling shutter.

Well, I wouldn't mind increasing the pixel size of the 12K in order to have an 8K VistaVision instead of 16K. I guess that would translate to a 6K Super 35 Window and 4K Super 16 Window. That's definitely more desirable for not needing so much resolution. What matters more is the dynamic range and color science after all.

The hardest thing to figure out is whether the new sensor design Blackmagic has with the 12K can do that. It would be more desirable for sensor readout time for higher frame rates certainly. Plus minimizing rolling shutter artifacts.

timbutt2

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 7:26 pm

I agree with both about increasing internal ND options to allow for 1 Stop increments. Sometimes 1 Stop really does make a difference.

Chris Cronin

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 1:41 pm

As 2023 is nearly upon us, thought I'd give this thread a little bump.

I don't know *exactly* what I want from Blackmagic in 2023, but I do know it looks a little like the Kinefinity Mavo Edge line. Not that I'm ready to abandon BM, but hopefully they've been taking notes. Interchangeable mounts, e-NDs, multiple battery solutions, cube shape, higher base ISO, higher dynamic range + ability to shift stops into the highlights, and yes... full frame.

The Mavo Edge 6K retails for like £2000 more than the Ursa Mini Pro 12K and I know that you get what you pay for, but some of these features are I guess "quality of life" improvements and maybe suggest the UM body design is showing some age. It's 7 years old now, right?

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out anyway. Guess it's more likely to hear about something at NAB in a few months than CES in a week or so...?

timbutt2

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 3:00 pm

Chris Cronin wrote:...and maybe suggest the UM body design is showing some age. It's 7 years old now, right??

Technically the URSA Mini body was introduced in 2015 with release of the URSA Mini 4K that summer. Early beta units of the UM4.6K were that fall with release in 2016. URSA Mini Pro was released in 2017.

That means the URSA Mini body will be 8-years-old in 2023, and the UMP body update 6-years-old. Yes, the age is starting to show.

However, that doesn't mean they can't keep conceptual aspects of the build and improve upon them. It all does need a refresh. And, the 12K sensor will be 3-years-old in 2023.

Now that Arri has introduced their Alexa 35 and proven Super 35 is still viable I don't see a why Blackmagic can't stick with Super 35 in their cameras for a while longer. However, Super 35 window of a VistaVision sensor can be just as beneficial. Let's see where Blackmagic decides to go.

timbutt2

PostWed Jan 04, 2023 2:22 am

I got another vote for the URSA Micro today on set. We were doing my UMPG2 and the Pocket 6K. And, lo and behold when I said I'd love for an URSA Micro the other camera op said he'd love that. So, totally need the URSA Mini Pro and the URSA Micro Pro. Same sensor and same features, but one in a smaller body.

Zweistein

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 10:39 am

Great line of cameras that I would love to see updated this year! My wishes:

a) What I really would love to see, but don't know if possible, is user definable recording area of the sensor. So I would not be bound to the presets but rather I can choose an aspect ratio and a diagonal (or pixel width by pixel height) and record only that portion of the sensor. I work a lot with Standard16 and Academy35 lenses and this would make my life so much easier. (I know I can crop in post, but this native option would be so much more convenient, especially for video distribution on-set.)
Also I guess if you shoot vertical projects, this would help you.

b) The front portion of the body, on which the mount sits, should be aluminum or carbon or steel – just not plastic.

c) The screen should be rotatable fully so that it can be put back into place at the body, but with the screen on the outside.

d) The viewfinder should be detachable to be rigged like you want. I know there is a thrid-party out of stock modification kit for it.
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

RushboardUK

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 5:47 pm

It is difficult for me weigh in on this discussion, as I do not own an URSA.

What I would like to see from Blackmagic, however, is a new class of Full Frame camera, situated between the Studio and URSA ranges in features/price. After the success of RED, Panasonic and ZCam launched their own compact box-style DSLR cameras, which support a host of possible rig configurations, and I believe Blackmagic has the expertise to join this market. This further opens the opportunity to make them suitable for Netflix, Virtual Production and XR workflows.

RushboardUK

PostWed May 10, 2023 3:27 am

Could there be a revision made to Studio cameras, where the handlebars are detachable via a secure, tool-less process, to support motion control setups? An upgrade kit could, then, be made available for existing owners, which does not void the warranty.

Jason Boyd

PostWed May 10, 2023 8:58 pm

For a new Ursa that fits between the BMPCC6K Pro and UMP12K, in order of importance for me:

- Smaller full featured body, but not a barebones cube.
- Single stop ND filters
- CFexpress
- Improved Max ISO
- Improved Dynamic Range
- Gyro Tracking Data
- ProRes
- L Mount or RF Mount
- Dual Pixel Autofocus

Jon Hustead

PostThu May 11, 2023 2:20 am

I ordered a G1 essentially at launch, same for G2, and I've tried out the 12k and really liked it, but it's not quite the thing I need right now.

I'd love something with:
  • 2nd the updated viewfinder request
  • In roughly the same form factor (integrated package that works well handheld and shoulder mount without a bunch of rigging. ie not a box camera)
  • Limiters for audio and audio pots with hard stops, ideally moved to be more accessible while on the shoulder. I'd also love an extra audio channel or two.
  • Better low light performance
  • If they could figure out a way to have their new sensor tech with some kind of super sampled prores that'd be cool
  • A little more robust/repairable
  • I feel like it's time for something like L mount, but for myself I'm fine with the current mount options
  • This seems minor, but a more ergonomic handle with a few more control buttons would be nice

I'd take or leave larger sensor, don't care about autofocus at all, and desperately hope it's not a box camera. In my mind it'd be roughly same price point as the 12k, though I'd pay more happily if it hit all my wants.
http://jonhustead.com

Overlander

PostThu May 11, 2023 2:26 am

More robust for sure;
- Better 3.5mm inputs for instance.
- More secure USB-C port, outside of the door
- Keep the toggle switches. I love the old school feel.
- More intuitive placement of Record button.
- Tally light
- CF Express

and as above suggestions.

robert Hart

PostFri May 12, 2023 6:28 pm

What is unrealisable wishlist and what may be practical with the existing form of the Ursa Mini?

Without too much bother, the right side cover could be revised with more "collision" space between the mainboard and internal surface of the cover, be made stronger, have a machined outer flat face with many attachment points for accessories somewhat like the third-party cheeseplate rigs. These still attach only by the single vulnerable rosette.

A disincentive for BM would be that an array of threaded holes in the light cast alloy used by BM will not have the same hold-strength for threads as the billet material the third-party cheeseplates are machined from. CNC machining billet or thick sheet for a side-cover or half a hundred helicoil inserts into light cast alloy would be a considerable added cost.

A Vista-vision sized sensor is unlikely to be a goer in the existing Ursa Mini body. Too much in the layout of boards, internal connectors and the casework to accommodate them would have to change. The existing rotating ND filter system would have to become larger which would mean revision of the main lens support assembly, the mainframe itself and the exchangeable lens mounts.

The downstream processing of a Vista-vision sized sensor might have to be split. That means the possibility of the split-screen effect which plagued the JVC GY-HD*** camera family could arise again to bite BM badly. There also may be insufficient living room within the existing casework for two downstream systems and the extra cooling required for the sensor and the mainboard(s).

It was heat which contributed to the blue channel sensors falling off the prisms in the JVC GY-HD*** camera family. Aside from that and the fragile firewire, what marvellous things those cameras were in their time.

There would be very little of the existing castwork which would not need altering. That would be unique to the Vista-vision camera and not the rest of the Ursa Mini family. From vague and fallible memory, between the Ursa 4.6k and the Ursa Mini Pro, there remained only about seven castings which were not amended.

The costly bullet of concocting a Vista-vision system to be bitten, might incentivise BM to go the route of a box body. That will make some folk squeal in transports of ecstatic joy and prompt lamentations from established Mini users.

We can dream and fantasize but that may be all that ever happens but who knows? New generations of hardware may come out soon enough and BM then do its proven agile thing of wringing as much as possible out of it.

rick.lang

PostFri May 12, 2023 8:02 pm

Don’t think we’ll have anything larger than 36mm horizontal width with the RGBWWW sensor given its 2.2 micron pitch gives us a 16K sensor in that space (36.0448mm).
Rick Lang

fangfang

PostThu May 18, 2023 5:30 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Okay, since it is the holiday season it feels right to put together the wish list for what gifts we'd like to receive. However, this will be a list of the new features, new physical improvements, and so on and so forth for the next URSA Camera update to hopefully come in 2023. Since the URSA Mini Pro 12K was in many ways the G3 I'll call this the G4 for now. However, it's entirely possible Blackmagic could go with a new naming structure and introduce a new camera line.

URSA Mini Pro G4 Wish List:

1) CFExpress Type B Cards for internal media. The future has become clear over the last two years as more cameras embrace CFExpress media. Type A is primarily used by Sony, but Type B is used by Canon and RED. This will increase the write/read speeds capable of the media allowing for hopefully higher frame rates or more uncompressed RAW recording.

2) Updated URSA Viewfinder Design that allows more flexible maneuvering of the position. Similar to the modification that happen a few years back. Internal OLED Screen includes updated 4X3 size for Status Info to be outside image like on the Pocket EVF. Viewfinder can be powered and receive video signal from one cable like Alexa EVF. The current URSA Viewfinder was designed in 2015, so after nearly 8-Years its due for an update.

3) URSA Micro Camera. The demand has been there for a box camera for a while. So I'll throw this in there. No XLR Ports, maybe Mini XLR Ports if it can fit. Smaller and lighter than URSA Mini Pro G4, but with less physical features and slightly less capabilities. Would make for a great B or C Cam for the bigger URSA Mini Pro.

4) Built-In Side Plate. This way we don't have to buy a third party one to attach. I've found having the SmallRig or Wooden Camera Side Plate invaluable. So it's a must. Especially since the SmallRig places the Side Handle in an inopportune position against the Viewfinder Power and SDI ports. I love having the Cold Shoe Mount on the side for a Timecode Generator Box.

5) D-Box Back-End Built-In. More D-Tap and more Lemo Ports are always a plus. Would be great to not have to buy a third party attachment. And, since we're at it...

6) Replace Hirose 8-Pin at front with Lemo Port for Lens Motors. Power lens motors without having to go to back of camera.

Add more below. What do you want to see in the next URSA Camera?

It's 2023 and I'm disappointed to see that Blackmagic Design (BMD) is still using the same sensor from the BMPCC 6K and merely putting it in different housings. They are still using the outdated CFast cards while other companies. like RED, Canon, and Sony have released new cameras with more advanced features like autofocus, RF mount, and electronic ND filters.

Even their flagship camera, the URSA 12K, only has an additional OLPF compared to three years ago. It's disheartening to see other companies progressing while BMD seems to be standing still. I don't know what to say, it's just sad.

I understand that BMD is a company dedicated to digital filmmaking equipment and software, and their products have been widely used in the film, TV, and advertising industries. However, the market competition is becoming increasingly fierce, and users are expecting more advanced features and better quality from their products.

I hope BMD can listen to their users' feedback and improve their products accordingly. As a loyal fan of BMD, I believe they have the potential to do better.

rick.lang

PostSat May 20, 2023 1:52 am

This year’s announcements so far have concentrated on the broadcast industry which is a core business for BMD before there were any BMD cinema cameras.

Perhaps we’ll see something this year that applies to cinema cameras, but it may wait until 2024. In the early days BMD announced products in April due to ship in July, but July could mean September or even almost a year later. That too was very frustrating, so BMD appears to have changed their business plan to only announce equipment that is ready to ship.

This does cause angst for those waiting to pull the trigger without an idea of when to expect a camera. It does take patience and some may buy/rent from a competitor in the meantime. We all wish we could be helpful here,
Rick Lang

rNeil H

PostSat May 20, 2023 6:07 pm

At this time there are many sources of frustration.

Back in 2019, there was a new tech in town for HDR monitors that looked like just about going to production. And would both reduce price and raise quality.

But the company went bankrupt (apparently) because the cost versus the gain against other technology wasn't enough to get the investment and buy-in of others.

And as other tech was dying, we're now four years out, and real good HDR monitors are still either 30+K for a few, or .... chosen for which parameters you can slight and still work with.

Because of not being a big enough market to merit the needed investment.

Then throw in the disruption from the whole Covid thing ... plus a rapidly changing marketplace for purchasers wants a willingness ... it's been a mess for business decision-making security. .

I've got things I'd love to see BM do with their cameras like anyone else.

But I'm also very, very aware I'm glad it's *them* having to fret over guesstimates of what might happen to the investment than me.

As right now, a real functional crystal ball with a three year vision would be so frickin useful.

They would need solid sales of at least three, probably four years, to justify any major investment. But their market isn't as big as say Sony. So BM has to nearly always make a valid investment decision.

They have all my sympathy.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

fangfang

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 3:12 pm

rNeil H wrote:At this time there are many sources of frustration.

Back in 2019, there was a new tech in town for HDR monitors that looked like just about going to production. And would both reduce price and raise quality.

But the company went bankrupt (apparently) because the cost versus the gain against other technology wasn't enough to get the investment and buy-in of others.

And as other tech was dying, we're now four years out, and real good HDR monitors are still either 30+K for a few, or .... chosen for which parameters you can slight and still work with.

Because of not being a big enough market to merit the needed investment.

Then throw in the disruption from the whole Covid thing ... plus a rapidly changing marketplace for purchasers wants a willingness ... it's been a mess for business decision-making security. .

I've got things I'd love to see BM do with their cameras like anyone else.

But I'm also very, very aware I'm glad it's *them* having to fret over guesstimates of what might happen to the investment than me.

As right now, a real functional crystal ball with a three year vision would be so frickin useful.

They would need solid sales of at least three, probably four years, to justify any major investment. But their market isn't as big as say Sony. So BM has to nearly always make a valid investment decision.

They have all my sympathy.

Maybe you are right, but I am also looking forward to new products. After all, many conveniences have become outdated in the products from three years ago, such as the use of CFast cards

rNeil H

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 3:45 pm

Flanders just demoed a new panel using quantum dot tech, that doesn't use white pixels for brightness, and so keeps color volume all the way to max brightness of 2,000 nits. Without local dimming needed.

Check out their website.

And Patrick Inhofer of MixingLight.com has a 24 minute video with that monitor and Bram Desmet of Flanders. Not sure if the vid is free or behind their paywall though.

Adam Langdon

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 7:27 pm

The company I work with uses a 12k, so I get to shoot on it once in a blue moon.
The images are just gorgeous.

I’ve been shooting 95% of my work with the Pocket 6k Pro, and was GOING to get an Ursa 12k OLPF…
But I think now I’m going to get a Rawlite upgrade for the 6k Pro and just wait for the next BMD release.

New things are fun and motivating but I have to think practically.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

rNeil H

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 9:04 pm

Saw the pocket 6k G2 for $1,495 while in B&H a few days back. Almost brought it home. Lotta image Q for the bucks, and I've got the ND filters for my matte box. Not that I'd mind internal ND.

Nor refuse a 12K if someone gave me one. I'd even shell out for the lenses then ... lol

(Though my wife would be screaming ... )

Return to Cinematography