Same lens on Studio 4k and Pocket Cinema 4k different FOV

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

TomLawrence

Same lens on Studio 4k and Pocket Cinema 4k different FOV

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 5:18 am

I'm a camera operator at our church and I'm trying find the right focal length zoom to recommend purchasing.

We have both the Studio 4k and the Pocket Cinema 4k. Both have a Lumix 35-100mm zoom lens.

When I line both up together at full 100mm zoom, the field of view is very different. I assume the two cameras have a different crop factor.

With the Studio 4k at full 100mm zoom, I zoom out until the field of view becomes the same. I'm at 48mm on the Pocket to be the same as 100mm on the Studio. By my inexperienced math that would make a 200mm lens on the Studio still not quite as zoomed in as 100mm on the Pocket.

Looking to have a field of view on the Studio to be tighter than the Pocket at 100mm by maybe 50% less field of view. Again by my inexperienced math, does that mean a ??-300mm zoom?

Should the Studio and the Pocket have vastly different field of view. Incorrect settings...?

Thankyou

Howard Roll

Re: Same lens on Studio 4k and Pocket Cinema 4k different FO

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 8:42 pm

The Pocket offers roughly 6.5% wider FOV because it's DCI 4K vs the UHD 4K of the Studio cam.

If you're seeing a difference of 200% then likely you've engaged the 2x zoom.

Good Luck

TomLawrence

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 5:26 am

Thank you for the reply.

Where is the control for the 2x zoom on the Pocket, how is it turned on and off?

Does the Studio Plus have this option?

Thanks

TomLawrence

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 8:41 pm

So it turns out the camera was set to record in 1080p instead of 4k which, beyond my understanding, cropped in the field of view making it the zoom twice as responsive, or something like that.

Did some reading about other posts that discussed crop factor.

I've been searching to see if the studio plus 4k had a digital zoom, as far as I've ever been able to find, it does not.

Return to Cinematography