New Camera and Mount Upcoming ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Robert Niessner

Re: New Camera and Mount Upcoming ?

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 8:54 am

Michel Rabe wrote:I'm from Germany and once shot on location inside an Italian factory.

Like, assembly line factory, huge, auster. One of our crew came back from a coffee automat in some dark corner and stuttered something about 'oh my god so good'. So everyone grabbed one and what can I say, in Italy, even an automat in an assembly line factory has better coffee than most cafes in my country.

Haha, yes. Have been for a longer trip in the Tuscany and regardless how shady the little Trattoria - coffee always had been excellent. Maybe I should make a visit to Carlo :-)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Ellory Yu

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 3:13 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:Please make a vlogging camera :D

You might want this Sony Alpha ZV-E1 – Full-frame Interchangeable Lens Vlog Camera.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ryan Payne

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 7:29 am

So what's everyone feeling in their waters?

My NAB Show 2023 predictions.

My thinking is that a decent amount of R&D would've gone into making the 12k, a sensor that can change resolution without punishment is extremely interesting. It get's around file size storage worries of a lower end market and allows you to pick your sweet spot. So I think we will see this again in a lower end form. Perhaps a MFT cut down? Who knows, but it's time to get those sensors moving.

I think that Braw has been a great move. Resolve is going stronger than ever in the creator space and I think with the implementation of the 12k's sensor tech, gone are the days of prores in a Blackmagic cinema camera.

As robust as the 12k and 4.6k bodies are, I think we'll see an implementation of the ursa using the carbon fibre plastic composite of the pocket cameras. In many cases it's all that's required, as shown by the success of the pocket line.

My selfish wish would be two cameras. The first a MFT cut down 12k sensor (unsure what MP that would make it) similar body to the ursa but plastic composite and no prores to keep the price down. Hell maybe you could have two for the price of 1 Sony? The second would be the same as above but a APS-C option, which I assumed would need to be the full 12k sensor.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 11:01 am

I've been monitoring 4 of the biggest German dealers now for some time about what is in stock available.

videodata.de
teltec.de
marcotec-shop.de
thomann.de

The PCC4k and the PCC6k Pro have recently slipped from "in-stock" to up to "4-6 weeks".
So this might be a sign that there is something new coming up at NAB, but it could also be just a fluke.

PCC4k began shipping in September 2018 - four and a half years ago.
PCC6k began shipping in September 2019
PCC6k Pro began shipping in February 2021 - two years ago and built on tech from 4 years ago.

Based on the engineering and design strategies from BMD's past I would extrapolate and predict the following releases:

PCC4k G2 and PCC4k Pro G2 with MFT mount - no big design changes but improvements
G2 & G2 Pro:
* new gen sensor with faster readout speeds with 120fps at full sensor and 240 in crop
* CFastexpress slot / SD slot
* tilting screen
* HDMI UHD out
* improved internal audio electronics
* improved bottom plate
* latest USB-C gen
* improved gyro sensor
* neural-net co-processor
* NP-F battery support instead of Canon LPe

Pro only:
* ND filter system
* tilting 1500 nits screen
* optional view finder

PCC6k Pro G2 EF mount - with no big design changes but improvements
* new gen sensor with faster readout speeds with 100fps at full sensor and 240 in crop
* CFastexpress slot / SD slot
* HDMI UHD out
* SDI out (*unlikely*)
* latest USB-C gen
* improved gyro sensor
* neural-net co-processor
* maybe optional PL-mount version

Firmware:
* Latest BRAW gen with improved half-demosaicing (reduced aliasing and moire) and optional noise-reduction because of more in-camera processing power
* in-camera reversible real-time gyro stabilization mode
* neural-net powered auto focus/follow focus with face/object detection
* auto-fill-in of some slate metadata by neural-net driven content recognition (like "blue car", "House", "Person A", "Person B") (*unlikely*)
* function remapping of most buttons within thumb's reach

Those are all things I could imagine being within the technical possibilities of BMD's R'n'D.

Of course Grant and the team have always been good for surprises and I could be absolutely wrong and they release a completely new camera generation not based on the current designs and my predictions are all rubbish.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Adam Langdon

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 12:29 pm

EVERY time I think I want a box-style camera (former Komodo owner), I think about how portable and fast the Pocket 6k Pro is to work with. If it had better rolling shutter and and a touch my dynamic range, it would be the perfect grab-n-go... even though right now, for me, it is!

I still think there will be a new body design, fingers crossed.
the trick of MFT mount with NDs is the flange distance, right? like it may be mechanically impossible to to the NDs like they did on the 6k Pro in a MFT mount?

I still foresee a 12k sensor camera coming out, though, my luck, it will be a broadcast body, haha.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

roger.magnusson

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 3:28 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:the trick of MFT mount with NDs is the flange distance, right? like it may be mechanically impossible to to the NDs like they did on the 6k Pro in a MFT mount?

The Canon C70 has internal ND filters. Its RF mount has a flange distance of 20mm. MFT is 19.25mm, I would be very suprised if that little difference would mean it's impossible.

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 4:27 pm

For those considering a repackaging of BMD’s own sensor, here are the horizontal dimensions of various other sensor cuts and the format of that cut:

4096 9.0112mm 16/B4
6144 13.5168mm Super 16/mFT
8192 18.0224mm Super 35/mFT/APS-C EF
12288 27.0336mm Super 35
16384 36.0448mm 135 film
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 4:38 pm

rick.lang wrote:For those considering a repackaging of BMD’s own sensor, here are the horizontal dimensions of various other sensor cuts and the format of that cut:

4096 9.0112mm 16/B4
6144 13.5168mm Super 16/mFT
8192 18.0224mm Super 35/mFT/APS-C EF
12288 27.0336mm Super 35
16384 36.0448mm 135 film

I wonder if they are able to keep cooling down and such if they kept the same sized sensor but just limited it to 8k? The field of view on the Ursa 12k is really really nice.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Henchman

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 4:59 pm

I think we'll not see anymore true cinema camera products. As it's clear they're focusing full force inronrhw broadcast market.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 5:14 pm

Making predictions about what BMD might offer is a sure way to look foolish. That said, I’ve had a silly idea ever since the 12K sensor was released. It’s my understanding that the cut of the 12K sensor that is easiest to perform (given its unique physical design) is a 6K sensor.

So I’d recommend BMD double the dimensions of the pitch of the photosites to 4.4 microns square versus the current 2.2 microns. That may allow them to increase the dynamic range too.

6144x3240 27.0336mm Super 35 6K 17:9
4096x2160 18.0224mm mFT 17:9
2688x1512 11.8272mm Super 16 2.6K 16:9
Rick Lang

roger.magnusson

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 5:52 pm

Also difficult to predict what they're doing because of the ongoing supply chain crisis. Apparantly key components have a lead time of over a year. https://www.avinteractive.com/news/business/supply-chain-woes-hit-blackmagic-design-in-the-pocket-06-03-2023/

John Brawley

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 4:37 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Also difficult to predict what they're doing because of the ongoing supply chain crisis. Apparantly key components have a lead time of over a year. https://www.avinteractive.com/news/business/supply-chain-woes-hit-blackmagic-design-in-the-pocket-06-03-2023/

Thanks for posting this.

It’s a very insightful piece, especially when it touches on the philosophical ways that BMD are different to many other companies in the way they approach manufacturing.

“As Blackmagic Design builds its products based on demand, most of its inventory is in parts, rather than finished products”

They try as much as possible to manufacture in-house. The make their own PCBs from scratch in house! I didn’t know what a wave solder machine was till I visited.

“The firm differed from other technology companies in that it had always been self-funded and had never used investment capital, giving it enormous creative freedom.”

BMD has grown to where they are now without borrowing any money. They don’t have investors or share holders that are looking over their shoulders….

It’s also interesting to compare their turnover to other similar companies like Arri, Panavision, Atomos, VITEC, AJA Video, ADOBE and RED…:-)

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Robert Niessner

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 7:23 am

John, yes that is the true power of Blackmagic Design.
Would they have had investors, we wouldn’t ever have the first BMCC see the light of the day.

Nowadays investors try to wring out as much money as fast as they can get.
You can see this with all the companies under the Vitec roof.
Last year they bought Australian New Zealand based Syrp (known for their excellent Magic Carpet Pro slider system).
Now it became Manfrotto Magic Carpet, with a steep price increase, hardly in stock and no new products in sight.
But they made Syrp Labs out of Syrp, basically they are making some blogger tutorial videos on filmmaking.

The same happend with Germany based LessPain software, makers of the great Kyno tool. Got bought and now it’s been over two years and not one update or communication with existing customers.
Last edited by Robert Niessner on Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 9:14 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Last year they bought Australian based Syrp

Syrp is from New Zealand FYI.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

John Brawley

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 9:22 am

CaptainHook wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:Last year they bought Australian based Syrp

Syrp is from New Zealand FYI.

Kiwis hate it when we claim Kiwis as Australians….

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Robert Niessner

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 1:11 pm

Yeah, I am apologizing to all Kiwis for mixing that up :-)
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 1:46 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Yeah, I am apologizing to all Kiwis for mixing that up :-)

Robert, now you have gone and done it.

Throw some comment about South Africa into the mix and you will have a war on your hands in the Southern hemisphere.

Why should the Northern hemisphere have all the fun?

Isn't the rugby rivalry bad enough?
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 12:52 am

Business seems to follow the meme that a big fish eats a smaller fish until it’s eaten by a bigger fish. But it’s not a perfect analogy because in business most often the smaller ‘fish’ imagines they will benefit by being eaten and so the smaller business is a willing victim.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 2:20 am

Leon Benzakein wrote:Isn't the rugby rivalry bad enough?

No one in Melbourne cares about Rugby...it's AFL..

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ryan Payne

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 4:58 am

John, Blink once if you have inside information on what's coming out at NAB for blackmagic!

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 6:10 am

I know it’s a bit sentimental, but I really hope Blackmagic is able to sort out this mount situation. Specifically, I hope they enter the L mount alliance. It would give Panasonic photo cameras the synergy with a clear user pathway to high end video (Sony Alpha has that all the way up to the FX9, Canon to C70, L mount users don’t have a progressional upgrade path right now despite their fantastic hybrid cameras), and it would bring Blackmagic into a fantastic future proof mount with professional and affordable glass (severely lacking in the RF mount right now).

Blackmagic changed my life: I honestly say I wouldn’t be a camera operator today if I hadn’t been able to buy a Pocket 4k, get Resolve and bluff my way onto sets with the image quality it produced, despite having had no formal training. I wish them all the best.

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 6:49 am

Canon put a 4 stage 10 stop nd in the rf mount so we know that it is not impossible. Also I can’t stress enough how much any camera vendor in the budget space needs to get into a mirrorless mount, because if they don’t there’s no upgrade path to and from your camera, you lack compatibility with your photo lenses (huge if you’re on a budget) and budget conscious consumers will just go to Sony or Panasonic.

John Brawley

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 6:52 am

Sean van Berlo wrote:. Specifically, I hope they enter the L mount alliance.

I think L mount is the only way, however, it's NOT an alliance in the same way mFT is.

It's owned by Leica. Hence the "L" name. Leica have to agree to another camera manufacturer making L mount cameras.

Leica own it, and share it with Panasonic whom they've long had a relationship with and Sigma (who likely make many Panasonic OEM lenses with a Leica name on them).

So far it's all in the family. It's not an alliance or consortium in the same way mFT is.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 8:45 am

Very interesting, thanks for that info John.

pnguyen720

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 5:51 pm

If nothing happens at NAB, this thread is gonna get sad.

Adam Langdon

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 12:46 am

pnguyen720 wrote:If nothing happens at NAB, this thread is gonna get sad.

Real sad.

John Brawley

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 1:11 am

Perhaps a gentle reminder that BMD haven’t done mic drop cameras at NAB for many years….?

They long ago switched to announcing when they’re ready to ship independent of trade shows generally.

Not that anyone should read anything into my statement. Just pointing out a historical precedent.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 6:39 am

Kim Janson wrote:BMD already has this mounting system, I just hope they would use it on all their cameras

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 9.22.16.jpg

L mount could be a bit difficult as it has only 20 mm flange distance, not leaving any room for internal ND filters

I agree. At least the PL mount option in all their cameras.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

WahWay

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 8:58 am

John Brawley wrote:Perhaps a gentle reminder that BMD haven’t done mic drop cameras at NAB for many years….?

They long ago switched to announcing when they’re ready to ship independent of trade shows generally.

Not that anyone should read anything into my statement. Just pointing out a historical precedent.

JB

The pandemic did'nt help either but no one can deny when Grant did the presentation in NAB with new cameras BMD won big time. I recall people clamoured to hear what he has to say and there was a real buzz. I think a come back to those days are due.

John Brawley

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 9:20 am

Kim Janson wrote:L mount could be a bit difficult as it has only 20 mm flange distance, not leaving any room for internal ND filters

Not a problem. The ND filters already go between the sensor cover glass and the sensor. They don't add any room at all.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 9:45 am

Kim Janson wrote:That is all good then, I just hope they would have one unified BMD mount system to attach B4, EF, etc. I am sure many would hope also MFT... and then those pricier lens mounts.

John Brawley wrote:
Kim Janson wrote:L mount could be a bit difficult as it has only 20 mm flange distance, not leaving any room for internal ND filters

Not a problem. The ND filters already go between the sensor cover glass and the sensor. They don't add any room at all.

JB

I’ve always been a fan of MFT. I own dozens of MFT lenses. I’d really love a smaller updated MFT mount camera like the micro, but with higher res sensor.

By the way the sensor cover glass has been in the same position for all BMDs cameras and the FFD of MFT is 19.25mm :-)

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 11:55 am

Kim Janson wrote:The flange distance is though the lens installation distance, the lens elements could come closer to sensor, how is it with L mount, does everything stay on the lens side of the mouth.

I’m not sure what you’re asking.

The sensor to sensor cover glass distance on all BMD cameras is the same, including the ones that have internal NDs.

They already make a camera that has a FFD that’s even shorter than L. There’s not going to be a problem having NDs if they are able to negotiate using L mount.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 12:28 pm

IIRC, JVC even had a camera with MFT and a S-35 sensor.
No idea how that fit, but nevertheless.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

timbutt2

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 7:58 pm

John Brawley wrote:Perhaps a gentle reminder that BMD haven’t done mic drop cameras at NAB for many years….?

JB

Might be the right time however for BMD to do a "mic drop" camera announcement at NAB. Maybe a camera that includes Camera 2 Cloud tech for working with DaVinci Resolve 19 and Blackmagic Cloud.

Either way, I am positive we'll see Resolve 19 announced. I'm hoping for a camera announcement.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

roger.magnusson

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 8:23 pm

Of course we can't know for sure, but the fact is that the last Resolve version is usually 12 or 18 months old (last two releases) before we see a new major version in a public beta. Resolve 18 public beta won't even be 10 months old at this years NAB, we're not even at version 18.2 yet.

But maybe it'll be an earlier release with a longer beta period than the last time and we'll get it at NAB anyway.

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 11:56 pm

I’m not expecting 19 yet when the implementation of 18.1.4 still could use improvement of the latest audio enhancements of Voice Isolation and Dialogue Leveling. Those audio enhancements are very good when they work, but I haven’t relied on them yet in my deliverables.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 2:55 am

Kim Janson wrote:Many lenses extend behind (towards sensor) from the flange point, especially when zooming lens elements could hit the cover class. Asking do L lenses do that, extend towards sensor. also there is the lens bayonet that needs some room.

Don't have a lot of direct experience but all L mount cameras also have cover glass or OLPF.

Protruding rear optics is something you see on vintage optics especially 70s era and very wide lenses. Newer contemporary optics, especially tele centric designs just don't do this. I bet there isn't a L mount native lens that sticks out into the cover glass...

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

robert Hart

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 6:54 am

The way things are going with functional density in very small packages, the lens is already becoming the main item with the camera body parked on the back almost an afterthought.

The shorter mounting systems may have a very limited life if lenses themselves are built to eliminate the variables by integrating sensors/electronics.

They may have their own tripod mount bases and the piece which goes on the back may become simply a power supply and wireless interface to a handheld controller.

Look forward maybe to the next gen VR headsets becoming sighting devices with gyro sensor to wirelessly slave the camera support or drone to whatever the operator points his or her head to see.

If Elon has his way, we might see the camera and lens eliminated altogether in favour of little aerials coiled up in our skulls with our own visual and auditory senses themselves becoming the source material.

The resolving ability of the human eyeball is apparently already a limiting factor for such notions.

Meanwhile, alterations and small innovations will keep people earning the daily bread and paying off the house and the kid's education.

When I think back to heavy Speed Graphic press cameras and the huge beasts which were motion picture production cameras, human ability to contrive magical machines has come an incredibly long way in my lifetime.

Will we advance even more rapidly or will environmental collapse revert us into a new stone age over the next two or three generations. Only time will tell.

That strayed a little off topic.

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 6:15 pm

Oops, seems to me your realistic moon is in front of your structure. Let’s all drink to the death of AI.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 7:34 pm

rick.lang wrote:Oops, seems to me your realistic moon is in front of your structure. Let’s all drink to the death of AI.

Well, we all should expect to lose jobs to AI in the next few years. In fact, I think that we're about to go full WALL•E and that's something I'm not looking forward to.

timbutt2

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 8:25 pm

We discuss our thoughts on NAB Announcements/Releases on the Frame Voyager Podcast: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4PTo0rlfRJThC2wEzx5L6a

Forums here get mentioned, plus the Blackmagic Coffee Camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok_riki_oh

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:20 pm

timbutt2 wrote:We discuss our thoughts on NAB Announcements/Releases on the Frame Voyager Podcast: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4PTo0rlfRJThC2wEzx5L6a

Forums here get mentioned, plus the Blackmagic Coffee Camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying not to read to much into it but it seems like most everyone with any ties to Blackmagic is not expecting a camera release at NAB or the rest of the year for that matter. If BMD truly is moving away from the Cinema camera market thats fine but some communication would be appreciated. I'd rather not pull the trigger on a Kinefinity or Zcam only to have BMD come out with something that blows them out the water.

Steve@Aberdeen

PostSat Apr 08, 2023 10:18 am

Steve Golding wrote:Autofocus? Don't make me laugh! Auto Focus and Auto Exposure are two of the main reasons we have populations that can't produce reasonable images moving or otherwise. Not that as tools themselves they are not useful, but the total reliance on them for low end equipment has definitely lowered optical knowledge for users.

Steve.

I recently decided on a BM camera (a PCC6kG2) because it IS manual. I've been doing some video for the past couple of years with my iPhone and a specialised live-stream camera for some charities (as an amateur - I've passed state retirement age and it's one of the ways I keep myself busy). Those cameras are auto-everything and easy to get usable work. When I started out in photography in my student days (>50 years ago) everything was still manual; the understanding and skills learned then haven't been wasted but I want something to challenge me. The 6k is certainly doing that, but it's getting me back into the habit of checking everything before pressing the shutter. Back in my student days, when film was expensive, I would try to make every shot count (although I would usually load up film cassettes with double the shots I was out looking for)!

Even using my 6k for stills is better - because there's no stills preview in the 6k, I have to wait until I get the SD card in my laptop to know what I've actually got (and being a dng file, even better :)

So I agree, namesake, autoexposure and autofocus are killing the ability to truly paint with light...
16" MacBookPro (2021; M1Pro; 16GB RAM)
DV Resolve Studio 18...
BMPCC 6kG2
Canon 5D MkII
Canon EF lenses (mainly 16-35mm1:28L II, and 24-105mm 1:$L for the BM)
Definitely an amateur - trying to do my best for local groups & charities

John Brawley

PostSat Apr 08, 2023 8:57 pm

Whenever someone asks me about how to be a better image maker, the very first thing I suggest is to turn off those automatic modes.

They can be very useful but most people use them as a crutch and end up not learning the fundamentals and understanding those basics.

Exposure, focus, ISO, white balance are usually better decided by you. Don’t let the camera make those decisions for you. Im sure soon AI will allow the camera to compose shots for you and edit.

By changing your camera to manual, you actually force your process to be different. Now you’re authoring the image. You’re making (or choosing not to) act as circumstances change. This mentality is generally better if you’re trying to live a creative life. Sure you can turn those functions back on, but it’s better to know how to swim first.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Adam Langdon

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 3:03 pm

was looking forward to some BMD stuff at NAB, but realized they have new broadcast (live) cameras to showcase, and the likelihood that they'd announce a new cinema camera without letting the people experience the new cameras announced just a month ago....

Either way, hoping for SOMEthing to be announced. Even if it's just Davinci Resolve updates or something.
(By the way, the voice isolation feature has been a LIFE SAVER in some recent doc work where environments have been unpredictable.)

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 3:39 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:
(By the way, the voice isolation feature has been a LIFE SAVER in some recent doc work where environments have been unpredictable.)

Which technique do you use to apply the new Voice and Dialogue audio effects? Do you apply at the track level in the Mixer or do you apply at the clip level in the Timeline? Do you use the ‘bounce’ method?

No apologies for this tangent as any positive feedback on those audio effects trumps forum etiquette.
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 9:12 pm

I’ve been using it at the clip level. That way it’s easier to tune out newer sounds that may rise, I.e. a bus going by, and then birds chirping.

It IS system taxing and I’m finding myself finding the settings I like, then disabling them during edit, and reapply them during export.

timbutt2

PostTue Apr 11, 2023 1:02 am

I agree that Voice Isolation is amazing!

Considering most of the camera releases since 2019 have primarily been incremental updates to existing builds with updated sensors, or slight body improvements based off the previous model, I'd say it feels probable Blackmagic is working on the next camera design build. Whether it is announced at NAB will have to be seen. But, I'd say that Blackmagic is noting all requests and reviews that point out weaknesses and working on making the next camera address all these things. When we see that camera is only a matter of when it is ready.

I'd point out that I first heard rumblings of the Alexa 35 in 2020. Arri said they were working on a next generation Super 35mm camera above 4K resolution. That's all we knew. We thought 2020 it would be announced, and then we thought 2021 when it wasn't announced. Finally 2022 Arri revealed the Alexa 35 and everyone has been impressed. I point to this because this is exactly what Blackmagic is likely doing.

Why I believe they will still use the 12K sensor is because they spent a lot of resources developing that sensor. It's the Flagship now for the cinema line. So now they have to be developing the next body or lineup of bodies for that sensor.

Marshall Harrington

PostTue Apr 11, 2023 2:46 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:I’ve been using it at the clip level. That way it’s easier to tune out newer sounds that may rise, I.e. a bus going by, and then birds chirping.

It IS system taxing and I’m finding myself finding the settings I like, then disabling them during edit, and reapply them during export.
Have not yet used this but wonder if there's something like render in place to allow use in the timeline without the lag?

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 11, 2023 6:27 pm

You achieve that at the clip level by selecting the ‘bounce’ option. You can make changes to the audio effect and bounce them until you get the version you want.
Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography