New Camera and Mount Upcoming ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Iain Philpott

Re: New Camera and Mount Upcoming ?

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 10:56 am

timbutt2 wrote: Considering most of the camera releases since 2019 have primarily been incremental updates to existing builds with updated sensors, or slight body improvements based off the previous model, I'd say it feels probable Blackmagic is working on the next camera design build. Whether it is announced at NAB will have to be seen. But, I'd say that Blackmagic is noting all requests and reviews that point out weaknesses and working on making the next camera address all these things. When we see that camera is only a matter of when it is ready.

I would agree. It makes sense that BM would want to keep all avenues open to bring customers into the BM ecosystem. If they come up with a new 'box' system, that would be incredibly popular. I've just sold all my UMP kit, and for now, am extremely happy with my 6K Pro's. They are light, decent in low light, fantastic colour science, superb audio (I use a MixPre for interviews on docs) and shoot a fantastic image. I'd love to see 120fps 4K but for now I've kept my original v2 Ursa for that. They grade really well together. So for now I'm happy to wait, not chase technology, and just concentrate on whats in front of my lens!

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 2:57 pm

Sounds like there are a lot of crouching tigers stalking their prey, waiting patiently for the right moment to pounce; whether that takes a year or two isn’t really worrisome given their recent meals have been filling and continue to be satisfying.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 7:19 pm

At this point NAB starts Saturday, so 4 days away. Either Saturday or Sunday there will likely be some kind of announcement from BMD regarding their products. The biggest announcement always tends to be Resolve. But we're only days away from knowing what BMD is doing for NAB this year.

Beyond that I wish I was attending NAB this year. Friday I have a shoot, Saturday I have a shoot. Then next week I have shoots. So it wasn't in the schedule. But I'd love to pick the brains in person of Blackmagic Team. Especially if it puts ideas in their head. Yet, that's the beauty of this forum since they do look here.

So exciting week ahead.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Michel Rabe

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 9:12 pm

Man, looking at this, I still believe that camera fell victim to some "too good to be true" suspicion among the industry. It was/is a ridiculously good offer.
Attachments
5edb423843d69082c558e1252d7dde29.jpg
5edb423843d69082c558e1252d7dde29.jpg (427.62 KiB) Viewed 5912 times

timbutt2

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 12:37 am

I think that banner is from 2022. But I see a banner for DaVinci Resolve is up on the Marriott in Vegas, but doesn’t really indicate anything about what’s coming.
So we’ll have to see what other banners are put up and the pictures people nab of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Payne

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 1:57 am

Ah just love the pre-NAB setup images! Keep them coming. Reminds me of the pocket 4k launch buzz. Blackmagic really know how to set a scene.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 3:38 am

I’m still waiting to be surprised. Time for a new Cine cam.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Michel Rabe

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 8:33 am

timbutt2 wrote:I think that banner is from 2022.

Oh I didn't mean to suggest a current banner, just came across the image and wondered again why the heck the 12K didn't completely take the industry by storm. It had/has everything to do so plus that super low price tag.

I sometimes wonder that if they had made it "12K for 12K", it would have thrived more and I'm almost sure an 8K instead of 12K cam would have settled in much better.

I once sold stuff at a flea market and at one point just wanted to get rid of it all and started giving it away for free. Almost everyone became suspicious and did not take the offer. They felt much safer when paying something. We get very hesitant if something seems too good/cheap to be true (and most of the time, rightfully so).

roger.magnusson

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 9:11 am

Well the price was 10K for the first 13 months.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 10:15 am

Re-iterating my post from April 3rd:

I've been monitoring 4 of the biggest German dealers now for some time about what is available in stock:

videodata.de
teltec.de
marcotec-shop.de
thomann.de

The PCC4k and the PCC6k Pro have now slipped from "in-stock" to up to "4-6 weeks" since a few weeks.
So this might be a sign that there is something new coming up at NAB, but it could also be just a fluke.

Checked today:
videodata.de
PCC4k ... 4-6 weeks
PCC6k Pro ... 4-6 weeks
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 ... in stock
everything else is in stock

teltec.de
PCC4k ... in stock
PCC6k Pro ... on request
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 ... in stock

marcotec-shop.de
PCC4k ... 5-10 days
PCC6k Pro ... in stock
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 ... 5-10 days

thomann.de
PCC4k ... 1-2 weeks
PCC6k Pro ... 5-7 weeks
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 ... not available (they only got the Pocket and Broadcast lines)

PCC4k began shipping in September 2018 - four and a half years ago.
PCC6k began shipping in September 2019
PCC6k Pro began shipping in February 2021 - two years ago and built on tech from 4 years ago.

Based on the engineering and design strategies from BMD's past I would extrapolate and predict the following releases:

PCC4k G2 and PCC4k Pro G2 with MFT mount - no big design changes but improvements
G2 & G2 Pro:
* new gen sensor with faster readout speeds with 120fps at full sensor and 240 in crop
* CFastexpress slot / SD slot
* tilting screen
* HDMI UHD out
* improved internal audio electronics
* improved bottom plate
* latest USB-C gen
* improved gyro sensor
* neural-net co-processor
* NP-F battery support instead of Canon LPe

Pro only:
* ND filter system
* tilting 1500 nits screen
* optional view finder

PCC6k Pro G2 EF mount - with no big design changes but improvements
* new gen sensor with faster readout speeds with 100fps at full sensor and 240 in crop
* CFastexpress slot / SD slot
* HDMI UHD out
* SDI out (*unlikely*)
* latest USB-C gen
* improved gyro sensor
* neural-net co-processor
* maybe optional PL-mount version

Firmware:
* Latest BRAW gen with improved half-demosaicing (reduced aliasing and moire) and optional noise-reduction because of more in-camera processing power
* in-camera reversible real-time gyro stabilization mode
* neural-net powered auto focus/follow focus with face/object detection
* auto-fill-in of some slate metadata by neural-net driven content recognition (like "blue car", "House", "Person A", "Person B") (*unlikely*)
* function remapping of most buttons within thumb's reach

Those are all things I could imagine being within the technical possibilities of BMD's R'n'D.

Of course Grant and the team have always been good for surprises and I could be absolutely wrong and they release a completely new camera generation not based on the current designs and my predictions are all rubbish.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Michel Rabe

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 11:03 am

I'd be down for it if the new gen sensor had a tiny bit improved dynamic range, colors and low light IQ.

On a side note, what are they going to do with the 12K sensor, just build broadcast cameras? They got to keep doing cine cams, no?

timbutt2

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 6:27 pm

I wish they’d do a Pocket 6K Pro PL. That’s one I totally agree with.

Otherwise CFEXPRESS and faster sensor readout for reduced rolling shutter and higher frame rates. And, I’m always for increased dynamic range.

Otherwise I’m uncertain about new Pocket 4K models.

The URSA Viewfinder is now a 2015 design, meaning it’s 8-years old. So that needs an updated design. Maybe to work with a new URSA Mini Pro with slightly updated design features.

Jason Boyd

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 9:13 pm

IMHO, the BMPCC6K Pro should be replaced with something that has better ergonomics, at the very least.

John Brawley

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 9:18 pm

I find the ergonomics great.

By that I mean it’s good to hold in the hand and operate in its factory state.

Do you mean you want a different shape that’s easier to say, balance on a gimbal?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

timbutt2

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 pm

John Brawley wrote:I find the ergonomics great.

Do you mean you want a different shape that’s easier to say, balance on a gimbal?

JB
I’d like a body that has an actual dedicated timecode port, SDI Out, & PL Mount.

Otherwise, I dislike rigging with a cage and using a V-Mount on the back because it makes that 5” monitor difficult to use. So you have to use an external monitor. Thus why I want Wireless Video Assists that have touchscreen camera control.

jallen0

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 9:25 pm

My predictions:

Pretty confident guesses:
Think Komodo or Kinefinity build shape
Genlock and Timecode at the same time option
SDI output
No HDMI output
8K full frame resolution
Increased dynamic range vs 6k Pro

Hopeful guesses:
Global shutter
Dual full size audio XLR
Changeable lens mount
Electronic internal ND filters
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Matt White

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 11:05 pm

Seems to me that there should be camera in the the 6K/8k class designed for handheld or shoulder use like a traditional cinema camera. I also dislike cages and rigs, and never use gimbals. I do however switch quickly back and forth from jibs, tripods and handheld. Maybe something like the UMP but smaller, and definitely with a viewfinder. Being old school, I also prefer dials, switches, and buttons over touch screens.

Jason Boyd

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 12:16 am

JB

If you hold it like a DSLR it's alright, but shooting handheld like that creates too much micro jitter and often triggers the jello effect. I build the camera out and cradle it, or mount it on sticks. I’ll throw it over my shoulder, but it's left facing ports & awkwardly wide body lead to all the cables poking me in the face. It is not conducive to comfortable shooting.

Moreover, the screen is not in a great position when building the camera up, and I can't flip it out like most DSLR hybrids. I usually end up covering it completely with a wireless video transmitter and V-Mount battery.

The camera is not comfortable to hold unless you grip it like a typical DSLR camera. Despite its great image quality for its price range, I've always had to grit my teeth and tolerate the painfully wide chunky body of the BMPCC6K. I cringe every time I have to break out the camera and build it up because no other DSLR hybrid is so difficult to use physically. I feel like I'm sacrificing comfort for IQ.

In my opinion, Blackmagic could create an ideal budget video/cinema camera by throwing the same IQ magic that makes the BMPCC6K great, with a similar price point, in a pint-sized version of the Ursa Mini body. A single 12G-SDI out, with cables that plug in from off-angled ports on the back, would be perfect as far as design goes.

Ryan Payne

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 1:37 am

Jason Boyd wrote:

JB

If you hold it like a DSLR it's alright, but shooting handheld like that creates too much micro jitter and often triggers the jello effect. I build the camera out and cradle it, or mount it on sticks. I’ll throw it over my shoulder, but it's left facing ports & awkwardly wide body lead to all the cables poking me in the face. It is not conducive to comfortable shooting.

Moreover, the screen is not in a great position when building the camera up, and I can't flip it out like most DSLR hybrids. I usually end up covering it completely with a wireless video transmitter and V-Mount battery.

The camera is not comfortable to hold unless you grip it like a typical DSLR camera. Despite its great image quality for its price range, I've always had to grit my teeth and tolerate the painfully wide chunky body of the BMPCC6K. I cringe every time I have to break out the camera and build it up because no other DSLR hybrid is so difficult to use physically. I feel like I'm sacrificing comfort for IQ.

In my opinion, Blackmagic could create an ideal budget video/cinema camera by throwing the same IQ magic that makes the BMPCC6K great, with a similar price point, in a pint-sized version of the Ursa Mini body. A single 12G-SDI out, with cables that plug in from off-angled ports on the back, would be perfect as far as design goes.

I agree with this sentiment and I'd add to it that it doesn't perform well enough in it's DSLR form either. Lacking the battery life and ibis of other mirrorless hybrids makes for a suboptimal experience comparatively. A 2 hour battery life from a sony FZ-100 means you don't have to compromise the cameras form and the ibis allows you to keep it light and not have micro jitters. The blackmagic of course has a far superior image and it's again a case of compromising form for image quality, even if used as is.

I'd much rather a small form ursa that's cheaper, lighter and more battery efficient. The broadcast g2 is pretty close there on marking off those points, though does come in a little chunky and on the more expensive side of things.

Michel Rabe

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 7:29 am

I liked the form factor initially but ran into all issues and annoyances described above. If it would work handheld in it's native form it would be great but it just doesn't, it's a micro jitter festival.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 7:53 am

I’m still waiting for a box form factor. I can live with 4K or 6K sensor. More DR would be good.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:28 am

Ohhh, my favourite topic.....

Hand held.

Most rigs I see are garbage setups for hand held.

Two things are affecting the results with a pocket camera.

Relatively slow rolling shutter time. (And a good reason to get the 4K as it's faster than the 6K)
How you build your camera to shoot with.

Most people don't know how to set up and dress a camera properly to maximise their chances of getting good hand held results. Typically the trick it out with all this stuff, often making the camera top heavy and making the centre of gravity too high. Most hand held operating I see is poor skills and very poor build and setup.

I do agree that the dslr style hold-the-camera-in-front-of-your-chest isn't a good way to shoot hand held for ENDURANCE. It is a great way to shoot for shorter stints though because your arms can act as both stabilisation and for 3D positional booming of the camera. But I wouldn't want to operate like this for a 30 min take. But I will usually choose this style of operating because for hand held it means I can put the camera where I can't put other cameras. I typically won't try to shoot much past 60mm in this style. Beyond that a stabilised lens can help. After 100mm you can't do it without a different kind of rig.

The problem with modular box cameras is they really suck for hand held. By their inherent design you're forced to add a lot of stuff, and none of it is integrated or thought through. It's just bolted on, usually made by third parties cables everywhere.

Here's some bad examples of build.
IMG_4195.jpeg
IMG_4195.jpeg (42.97 KiB) Viewed 6617 times

One of the main reasons a box camera sucks is that it's typically quite hard to make a good hand held build.
Look how far out the weight is in front of his centre of gravity. Ideally a shoulder mounted camera should just balance on your shoulder if you let go of your hands. If your camera is tipping forward then you haven't built it right. If the middle of the lens is above your eye when it's on your shoulder you haven't built it right.

IMG_4193.jpeg
IMG_4193.jpeg (297.54 KiB) Viewed 6617 times

This build will be top heavy and want to roll on your shoulder, especially as you move.

Here's some examples of great builds with a box camera. Notice if you draw a line from the sensor out through the lens, that line is LOWER than the operator's eyeball. If the middle of the lens is ABOVE the operators eyeball then you have a bad build.

This is my B and C camera operators with some very tidy Alexa Mini builds. A box camera but notice how LOW it's sitting on the shoulder. No giant monitor but a VIEWFINDER which is much smaller and better for operating plus is another point of contact. The Transmitter is the highest thing on the camera (another pet peeve of mine is having them mounted low)

JB

IMG_2472.jpeg
IMG_2472.jpeg (405.18 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:33 am

These are both builds Ive used.

This was in the back of a car shooting on a movie called Taurus.

00EBE129-E358-4D18-81A8-7C5C5FD4D076.jpeg
00EBE129-E358-4D18-81A8-7C5C5FD4D076.jpeg (163.34 KiB) Viewed 6608 times

And this was a Komodo build I had on The Morning Show. There's crap everywhere!

8FC03AD1-75C2-44EC-9DFF-AACC56609A45.jpeg
8FC03AD1-75C2-44EC-9DFF-AACC56609A45.jpeg (942.99 KiB) Viewed 6608 times

And here's a cast member using a P4K with only an added VA because the actor was shooting her own POV (because why not) and the P4K doesn't have a flip out monitor.

IMG_4887.jpeg
IMG_4887.jpeg (505.94 KiB) Viewed 6608 times

More to come. Don't you just love three image post limits....
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:37 am

So mostly because I think the rolling shutter time on the pockets is TOO SLOW for good handheld, I tend to use the 12K or G2 for hand held.

But I still operate it kind of DSLR style.

FC_20210627_0294.jpeg
FC_20210627_0294.jpeg (833.68 KiB) Viewed 6604 times

IMG_3437.jpeg
IMG_3437.jpeg (967 KiB) Viewed 6604 times

IMG_2317.jpeg
IMG_2317.jpeg (368.69 KiB) Viewed 6604 times

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:50 am

And to finish. You can see the DLSR style operating but with a larger camera in motion here.

This was a 50mm CP macro lens. You can see on the focus pullers monitor how steady it is.

https://flic.kr/p/2j3YAx6

One of the MAIN reasons I use BMD cameras when I can literally choose any camera I want to use is because I can't operate any other cameras like this.

Venice Rialto needs a back pack and an umbilical cable.

Komodo too clunky, needs an extra monitor that isn't really orientable.

Anyway, work on your skills as an operator and the very first thing a skilled operator does is set up the camera to be balanced in the hand with the bare minimum of stuff. Try it.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Michel Rabe

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 9:07 am

I've shot many years almost exclusively on the P4K and because of micro jitter it's hardly usable without a (shoulder) rig, except maybe for some special shots with wide lenses.

So if you have to use a (balanced) rig anyway, that "hand-held" form factor is of no use imo. I'm saying that as an initial lover and "defender" of it, not anymore.

The one argument for a wide form factor I'm totally fine with is if it's necessary to host a large, high brightness swivel screen that makes an on-camera monitor obsolete.

Ed_Mantle

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 11:48 am

John Brawley wrote:https://flic.kr/p/2j3YAx6

Is that two points of contact only? Some strength for a sustained and mobile take like that. Good effort JB.

Ed_Mantle

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 12:06 pm

I'm guessing we would have had an email from Grant asking to join him for a live stream by now if there was something particularly exciting coming, so not anticipating much that we haven't already seen. Be interested to see what new plans there are for Resolve and Fusion.

They do have a big space booked though, bigger than almost any other vendor apart from Sony:

https://nab23.mapyourshow.com/8_0/floor ... ooth=N2601

Ryan Payne

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 1:21 pm

Ed_Mantle wrote:I'm guessing we would have had an email from Grant asking to join him for a live stream by now if there was something particularly exciting coming, so not anticipating much that we haven't already seen. Be interested to see what new plans there are for Resolve and Fusion.

They do have a big space booked though, bigger than almost any other vendor apart from Sony:

I'd say it's the perfect time to line up something for release live at NAB and have it setup for everyone to get hands on with it. I'd say it's be pretty crazy atm with all the prep and setup require to run the event. I'm not sure if pre-covid they had love streams for products launched at shows/ exhibitions?

Ed_Mantle

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 2:44 pm

Ryan Payne wrote:I'm not sure if pre-covid they had love streams for products launched at shows/ exhibitions?

They did (unfortunately!)
(pocket cinema camera reveal around 25:40). They also had a giant teaser poster outside the venue which people had spotted in the days running up to the event.

WahWay

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 4:24 pm

I like the Digital Bolex form factor.

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:53 pm

Ed_Mantle wrote:

They’ve had the biggest stand at NAB for the last few years.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:55 pm

Ed_Mantle wrote:Is that two points of contact only? Some strength for a sustained and mobile take like that. Good effort JB.

Yeah. Sometimes I’ll pull it into my chest.

I wouldn’t want to do a 30 min take like that.

Or I’ll have to get one of these. Which I’ve seriously looked into!

https://eksobionics.com/ekso-evo/

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Matt White

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 11:20 pm

A few decades back there was a color guy in SF who was in such high demand and working so many hours his arm was in terrific pain (carpal tunnel I guess), so he had to rig up a pulley suspension system over the desk to hold the weight of his arm. Seems like JB is heading that way. :shock:

Jason Boyd

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 12:18 am

John Brawley wrote:Ohhh, my favourite topic.....

Hand held.

Most rigs I see are garbage setups for hand held.

Two things are affecting the results with a pocket camera.

Relatively slow rolling shutter time. (And a good reason to get the 4K as it's faster than the 6K)
How you build your camera to shoot with.

Most people don't know how to set up and dress a camera properly to maximise their chances of getting good hand held results. Typically the trick it out with all this stuff, often making the camera top heavy and making the centre of gravity too high. Most hand held operating I see is poor skills and very poor build and setup.

I do agree that the dslr style hold-the-camera-in-front-of-your-chest isn't a good way to shoot hand held for ENDURANCE. It is a great way to shoot for shorter stints though because your arms can act as both stabilisation and for 3D positional booming of the camera. But I wouldn't want to operate like this for a 30 min take. But I will usually choose this style of operating because for hand held it means I can put the camera where I can't put other cameras. I typically won't try to shoot much past 60mm in this style. Beyond that a stabilised lens can help. After 100mm you can't do it without a different kind of rig.

The problem with modular box cameras is they really suck for hand held. By their inherent design you're forced to add a lot of stuff, and none of it is integrated or thought through. It's just bolted on, usually made by third parties cables everywhere.

Here's some bad examples of build.
IMG_4195.jpeg

One of the main reasons a box camera sucks is that it's typically quite hard to make a good hand held build.
Look how far out the weight is in front of his centre of gravity. Ideally a shoulder mounted camera should just balance on your shoulder if you let go of your hands. If your camera is tipping forward then you haven't built it right. If the middle of the lens is above your eye when it's on your shoulder you haven't built it right.

IMG_4193.jpeg

This build will be top heavy and want to roll on your shoulder, especially as you move.

Here's some examples of great builds with a box camera. Notice if you draw a line from the sensor out through the lens, that line is LOWER than the operator's eyeball. If the middle of the lens is ABOVE the operators eyeball then you have a bad build.

This is my B and C camera operators with some very tidy Alexa Mini builds. A box camera but notice how LOW it's sitting on the shoulder. No giant monitor but a VIEWFINDER which is much smaller and better for operating plus is another point of contact. The Transmitter is the highest thing on the camera (another pet peeve of mine is having them mounted low)

JB

IMG_2472.jpeg

Wow, the wealth of knowledge that you’re willing to provide at the drop of a hat is an absolute treat.

John Brawley wrote:
Ed_Mantle wrote:Is that two points of contact only? Some strength for a sustained and mobile take like that. Good effort JB.

Yeah. Sometimes I’ll pull it into my chest.

I wouldn’t want to do a 30 min take like that.

Or I’ll have to get one of these. Which I’ve seriously looked into!

https://eksobionics.com/ekso-evo/

JB

What are your thoughts on the Easyrig for such a situation?

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 12:22 am

You know I’ll be curious to see how heavy that Ronin 4D is for holding handheld. I’ll know soon as I know someone in my area who just bought one and said I have to try it out.

Nonetheless, I love how cinematic the URSA Mini Pro G2 feels when handheld. It does get heavy after a while. And, after a full day of shoulder rigging my shoulder will hurt. But the footage never suffers. And that’s what matters.

Often I hate the “we’ll go handheld since fast and loose shooting style.” It usually a mark of poor scheduling and shot planning.

jallen0

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 1:32 am

Someone was doing a BTS at NAB and they did a quick whip pan and I was able to grab this shot. It's blurry but it seems like Blackmagic is really concentrating on broadcast and Fairlight based on the set-up.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 9.27.06 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 9.27.06 PM.jpg (805.35 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

jallen0

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 1:34 am

Here is the Fairlight grab.

Here is a link to the video

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 9.33.21 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 9.33.21 PM.jpg (777.71 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
Desktop Video 12.1

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 4:34 am

timbutt2 wrote:Nonetheless, I love how cinematic the URSA Mini Pro G2 feels when handheld. It does get heavy after a while. And, after a full day of shoulder rigging my shoulder will hurt. But the footage never suffers. And that’s what matters.

We only have the G1, which has slower readout. But weight is still good for fighting micro jitters.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Michel Rabe

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 6:43 am

jallen0 wrote:it seems like Blackmagic is really concentrating on broadcast and Fairlight based on the set-up.

Sigh

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 7:52 am

Michel Rabe wrote:
jallen0 wrote:it seems like Blackmagic is really concentrating on broadcast and Fairlight based on the set-up.

Sigh

I figured this much since last year. I don’t think they would be doing much with cinema. They found their niche in broadcast now so that will be the downhill slope for the Cine camera lines. I’ve been watching for other vendors who could be alternative options to Blackmagic with a focus on cinematographers and cinematic solutions. When I say alternative, I meant someone who will be developing what BMD did for the URSA Cine cameras and Pocket Cinema cameras in around similar or better design, engineering, quality and price points.

John Brawley

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 8:04 am

Jason Boyd wrote:
Wow, the wealth of knowledge that you’re willing to provide at the drop of a hat is an absolute treat.

Thanks!

Jason Boyd wrote:What are your thoughts on the Easyrig for such a situation?

I'm glad you asked!

I like the easyrig. I actually had them build me a custom version.

15109635294_b4a9f555c0_k.jpg
15109635294_b4a9f555c0_k.jpg (487.45 KiB) Viewed 5829 times

Easyrig is GREAT until you need to move. And then it's a kind of pendulum. So it's great for endurance if you're just standing somewhere. If you need to move around then it's very cumbersome. And I'm just the right hight that it's hard for me to walk through a door without hitting the top of the door jam.

15109514714_0ec3f0481f_k.jpg
15109514714_0ec3f0481f_k.jpg (656.08 KiB) Viewed 5829 times

Also note that I use an extension viewfinder and then mount the viewfinder very high up. I call this periscope mode :-)

JB

...And here's my regular hand held build of the same camera. Note again how low the lens is, how low the centre of gravity is. Normally I wouldn't allow the monitor to be built on there, but maybe a director wanted to watch...it's too high and adds to much weight from a higher balance perspective.
Attachments
15729448995_f8aa478d91_k.jpg
15729448995_f8aa478d91_k.jpg (651.78 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Michel Rabe

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 10:13 am

Yea moving with Easyrig doesn't work well.

Ellory Yu wrote:[
They found their niche in broadcast now so that will be the downhill slope for the Cine camera lines.

That would mean all the 12K sensor R&D just to end up in broadcast cams, hm.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 4:27 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Michel Rabe wrote:

Sigh

I figured this much since last year. I don’t think they would be doing much with cinema. They found their niche in broadcast now so that will be the downhill slope for the Cine camera lines. I’ve been watching for other vendors who could be alternative options to Blackmagic with a focus on cinematographers and cinematic solutions. When I say alternative, I meant someone who will be developing what BMD did for the URSA Cine cameras and Pocket Cinema cameras in around similar or better design, engineering, quality and price points.

A few more gentle reminders:

Blackmagic Design has manufactured BROADCAST equipment for decades.

"NAB" is the abbreviation for "National Association of BROADCASTERS".

Exhibitors at NAB primarily emphasize their BROADCAST products.

Exhibitors at NAB often showcase non-broadcast products alongside their traditional broadcast product lines. Blackmagic's "cine"-related products have sometimes been examples of this. Increasingly, Blackmagic tends to announce products very close to when they are actually available to ship, not necessarily at big industry expos.

Blackmagic has sold a ZILLION (estimate) cine cameras & related gear, and has made a GINORMOUS (estimate) profit from them. Why in the world would they stop doing so now? They may or may not have a new cine camera model ready to ship "now", but that doesn't mean parts to build one won't be available sometime soon. It'll happen when it happens. Probably.

Meanwhile, I wish Blackmagic ENORMOUS success at this year's NAB expo. I hope they sell several SHIPLOADS of "broadcast" gear and make TITANIC profits from it. Among other things, this will enable them to continue creating great products which sell at very competitive prices, including (eventually) more "cine" gear.

Cheers.

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 4:58 pm

Peter offers a MINUSCULE hope for a CINEMATIC reveal in September when BMD goes THERMONUCLEAR!
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 5:35 pm

rick.lang wrote:Peter offers a MINUSCULE hope for a CINEMATIC reveal in September when BMD goes THERMONUCLEAR!
I hope when Blackmagic goes “Thermonuclear” they actually name the camera “Terminator” and the camera includes an updated AI operating system called “SkyNet” with the sights on eliminating Red.

robin0112358

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 6:10 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I hope when Blackmagic goes “Thermonuclear” they actually name the camera “Terminator” and the camera includes an updated AI operating system called “SkyNet” with the sights on eliminating Red.

"15 April 2023 was the day that SkyNet went operational."

Well, we can hope, no?
Robin Parmar
robinparmar.com | theatreofnoise.com | stolenmirror.com

WahWay

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 6:36 pm

Atomos has developed a new 8k sensor. If they decide to make cinema cameras and does a deal with a major camera manufacturer for modern mirrorless lens mount that will be a real kick up the backside for BMD.

Adam Langdon

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 8:29 pm

Here's the thing that I always consider: There's many products that are rushed 'just to get them out there' and they lack quality (control) or simple firmware that should already be in place.

I'd so much rather wait for a GREAT Blackmagic product than get a ho-hum camera.

I've been looking at the DZOFilm 2x Anamorphics that are being teased right now and as soon as I heard "pincushion" I thought, meh. If the streaks look 'weak' and there's no barrel distortion, I'm not interested.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

John Brawley

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 8:31 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
A few more gentle reminders:

Awesome post Pete. Good to see you again

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography