New Camera and Mount Upcoming ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jallen0

Re: New Camera and Mount Upcoming ?

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 11:18 am

I don't know, I always trust any youtube video that starts off with them saying " I just heard this rumor....."
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 11:58 am

That’s the honest kind.
And, of course, there’s a Santa. I heard that he sometimes sticks cameras into socks.
Small square ones, of course.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mary Miron

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 12:32 pm

The guy in the video runs many camera rumors sites like SonyAlphaRumors. He's a trusted leaker. Maybe show some respect instead of spewing snark.

Håkon Broder Lund

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 12:46 pm

Simply based on the fact that Red uses RF mount on their cameras and previously was on EF, I'd believe BM will also go to RF mount on their bodies. Most BM owners have EF glass and the transition to RF is more native than adapting to L. Just my personal take.
Camera: UMP | P6K Pro | P4K | Canon R5 | Many EF and RF lenses
Computer: 3960X | 128GB RAM | 1080Ti
Remote: Top spec MBP 2015

jallen0

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 1:10 pm

Mary Miron wrote:The guy in the video runs many camera rumors sites like SonyAlphaRumors. He's a trusted leaker. Maybe show some respect instead of spewing snark.

Pretty sure that Jared Polin would disagree with this statement.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

Adam Langdon

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 1:57 pm

Things I know/think are obvious:
1. Blackmagic Design doesn't 'leak' info
2. There is a long track record of people guessing WRONG about BMD cameras
3. Blackmagic Design will announce when they are ready, not at the timeline of a trade show
4. If they are going to add any type of new mount it will most likely be L Mount (as certain people keep bringing it up, haha)
5. I'm really happy shooting with the current BMD cameras and they will last me until the next cool thing comes out.

(I've also taken this "lull" in BMD releases to upgrade other important things: Lenses, tripods, lighting, etc)
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

John Brawley

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 2:09 pm

Håkon Broder Lund wrote:Simply based on the fact that Red uses RF mount on their cameras and previously was on EF, I'd believe BM will also go to RF mount on their bodies. Most BM owners have EF glass and the transition to RF is more native than adapting to L. Just my personal take.

No. Canon, like Sony won't license their mount. It's an open secret that Red did an IP swap for the ability to use RF mount on some of their cameras and in exchange, Canon can make their own internal raw codec that can be used in-camera.

It's easy to test the theory. Name a single camera (not lens) with E mount that isn't made by Sony? Same for Canon with RF (excluding Red)?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

VMFXBV

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 3:04 pm

John Brawley wrote:
It's easy to test the theory. Name a single camera (not lens) with E mount that isn't made by Sony? Same for Canon with RF (excluding Red)?

JB

Freefly Ember S5K (don't chew me out :) )
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

John Brawley

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 3:24 pm

Ha.

Not really. It’s a mechanical mount.

You can’t use a native E mount lens on it. No iris control, no power, no IS.

The protocol is what’s protected.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

deezid

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 3:37 pm

Mary Miron wrote:The guy in the video runs many camera rumors sites like SonyAlphaRumors. He's a trusted leaker. Maybe show some respect instead of spewing snark.

And L-Mount actually makes so much sense. Would open native access to many new lenses, but also includes adapted EF and PL lenses.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

jallen0

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 6:22 pm

John Brawley wrote:
But as discussed many times previously they don't really use trade shows for announcements, only when they're ready to ship.....

JB

That's true but here is the issue with that. People typically spend the majority of their budget during or after these shows. So BMD loses out on those sales. I know in my case I just spent a ton of money getting into a new camera system because I needed some specific camera capabilities, and BMD gave me zero reason to wait on theirs....if one is even coming.
Desktop Video 12.1

John Brawley

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 6:35 pm

You might not like it. But it’s how it is now.

Remember “shipping in July”? There was so much bad press and karma when those dates were missed. I think this model works better overall.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jon Hustead

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 6:04 pm

I broke down and ordered a 12k OLPF so I selfishly hope that nothing new and exciting comes out for, or, a year or so. I also just sold my S1H as part of the upgrade so it'd be a real bummer to have something that'd pair nicely with it come out a month after the 12k arrives. I'm sure Blackmagic will tailor their releases to me, ha.

The place I preordered from gave me a small discount and said they aren't going to stock any, which makes me wonder if perhaps they're thinking a replacement is on the way. Course, could just be that they're not popular enough to stock and the sales person was feeling generous.
http://jonhustead.com

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 7:37 pm

Congratulations, Jon. If you received the UMP12K from a vendor that sells a lot of cameras like B&H Photo and they told you it was the last of their stock, that might mean something. But if it’s a very small vendor, that might just mean the vendor is being prudent about their inventory management.
Rick Lang

Jon Hustead

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:02 pm

Yeah, absolutely. They aren't small, exactly, but I could imagine it not making sense to stock it regardless of replacement schedule.
http://jonhustead.com

rNeil H

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:22 pm

I was actually in the B&H NYC home last week, ogling things. Very nearly walked out with that BMPCC6k G2 for $1495.

And naturally ogled the 12K too. Salestaff said they were selling them quite frequently. And they have no troubles getting BM stock at this time.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ollie Larkin

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 5:17 am

[*]
MKUltraPrimes wrote:I get that it’s silly to want a camera thats specifically tailored to me, but i would just like a tinier ursa with the 4k sensor and mft mount. That would make my life easier, just being able to use the lenses i already own, a slightly nicer form factor that isn’t a cube, have internal nds, multiple video outs, viewfinder support, just using 1 big battery and not having to rig anything. That would be just be my dream.

panasonic kinda managed to do it in 2010, camcorder like shape, mft, internal nds? Would be cool now too.

Bit late responding to this - but I agree - the cube form factor isn't going to be perfect for everyone. I owned a Komodo for a few months and found it was still just too long on a gimbal because of the depth of the camera with a fast lens on it. I've ended up modding my P6K so the original screen is in a pivoting CNC'ed enclosure on top, freeing up the back of the camera for a V mount. I'm thinking of doing the same mod to a 6KPro to have the internal ND's, but I'm also kind of waiting to see what Blackmagic does next.. The 6KPro came out a over 2 years ago now.
Attachments
2023-06-18 17.02.09.jpg
2023-06-18 17.02.09.jpg (997.28 KiB) Viewed 13047 times
2023-06-18 17.01.41.jpg
2023-06-18 17.01.41.jpg (991.32 KiB) Viewed 13047 times

focuspulling

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 6:15 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Håkon Broder Lund wrote:Simply based on the fact that Red uses RF mount on their cameras and previously was on EF, I'd believe BM will also go to RF mount on their bodies. Most BM owners have EF glass and the transition to RF is more native than adapting to L. Just my personal take.

No. Canon, like Sony won't license their mount. It's an open secret that Red did an IP swap for the ability to use RF mount on some of their cameras and in exchange, Canon can make their own internal raw codec that can be used in-camera.

JB

Yes, it's easy to test the theory (and to note its impurity): DJI Ronin 4D broadly markets its native (not third-party-accessory-adapted) E-mount lens compatibility. Their flagship demos and product photos prominently kit up with Zeiss Batis lenses. Not worth reminding that Sony did not collaborate with DJI; fact is, it exists and it works well. Blackmagic could take that risk similarly (I'd support it).
Last edited by focuspulling on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

focuspulling

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 6:18 pm

HykCIne wrote:The video title is: Soon Blackmagic will announce their first L-mount cine camera!

What's your thoughts?

That guy is a panhandling hustler whose sole motivation is to beg for clicks to earn affiliate revenue (scraps of daily bread). Every single post in his empire of cheapo blogs is clearly designed to get affiliate clicks. He manages to attract a big following of...well, bored people.

John Brawley

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 4:06 pm

focuspulling wrote:Yes, it's easy to test the theory (and to note its impurity): DJI Ronin 4D broadly markets its native (not third-party-accessory-adapted) E-mount lens compatibility. Their flagship demos and product photos prominently kit up with Zeiss Batis lenses. Not worth reminding that Sony did not collaborate with DJI; fact is, it exists and it works well. Blackmagic could take that risk similarly (I'd support it).

Well, I'm not so sure. It's widely rumoured that Viltrox is making this mount adaptor, not DJI themselves. Like they openly do for Z cam.

https://viltroxstore.com/products/viltr ... -ount-lens

And, it's still an adaptor. It's not a native supported E mount camera. If it was true native support then all E mount lenses would be supported.

Also, you read the DJI forums it seems they shipped this native mount for the DJI for over a year and it never really worked as it was meant to. Even now with a recent firmware update, it seems to still have a lot of people reporting problems. This is the issue with a third party doing a smart adaptor like this. You're at the whim of firmware updates, and you have to coordinate across the company that makes the adaptor and the company that makes the camera, and none with the support of the owner of the protocol.

It's not inconceivable Sony could update their firmware on the lens and make these mounts non-functional.

So a third party making an adaptor? Not really a native E mount camera.

focuspulling wrote:That guy is a panhandling hustler whose sole motivation is to beg for clicks to earn affiliate revenue (scraps of daily bread).

Your own sig features a monetised blog though?

JB
Last edited by John Brawley on Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 4:20 pm

Ollie Larkin wrote:
Bit late responding to this - but I agree - the cube form factor isn't going to be perfect for everyone. I owned a Komodo for a few months and found it was still just too long on a gimbal because of the depth of the camera with a fast lens on it.
I've ended up modding my P6K so the original screen is in a pivoting CNC'ed enclosure on top, freeing up the back of the camera for a V mount. I'm thinking of doing the same mod to a 6KPro to have the internal ND's, but I'm also kind of waiting to see what Blackmagic does next.. The 6KPro came out an over 2 years ago now.

Ollie, this is really cool.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 5:07 pm

Ollie is certainly putting some serious magic in Blackmagic.
Rick Lang

Jason Boyd

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 6:30 pm

Ollie Larkin wrote:Bit late responding to this - but I agree - the cube form factor isn't going to be perfect for everyone. I owned a Komodo for a few months and found it was still just too long on a gimbal because of the depth of the camera with a fast lens on it. I've ended up modding my P6K so the original screen is in a pivoting CNC'ed enclosure on top, freeing up the back of the camera for a V mount. I'm thinking of doing the same mod to a 6KPro to have the internal ND's, but I'm also kind of waiting to see what Blackmagic does next.. The 6KPro came out a over 2 years ago now.

Whoa, you can’t just post something this freaking fantastic without going into detail! I want to know more about how this mod was achieved. I would love to do this with my pocket.

focuspulling

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 6:47 pm

John Brawley wrote:
focuspulling wrote:Yes, it's easy to test the theory (and to note its impurity): DJI Ronin 4D broadly markets its native (not third-party-accessory-adapted) E-mount lens compatibility. Their flagship demos and product photos prominently kit up with Zeiss Batis lenses. Not worth reminding that Sony did not collaborate with DJI; fact is, it exists and it works well. Blackmagic could take that risk similarly (I'd support it).

Well, I'm not so sure. It's widely rumoured that Viltrox is making this mount adaptor, not DJI themselves. Like they openly do for Z cam.

https://viltroxstore.com/products/viltr ... -ount-lens

And, it's still an adaptor. It's not a native supported E mount camera. If it was true native support then all E mount lenses would be supported.

Also, you read the DJI forums it seems they shipped this native mount for the DJI for over a year and it never really worked as it was meant to. Even now with a recent firmware update, it seems to still have a lot of people reporting problems. This is the issue with a third party doing a smart adaptor like this. You're at the whim of firmware updates, and you have to coordinate across the company that makes the adaptor and the company that makes the camera, and none with the support of the owner of the protocol.

It's not inconceivable Sony could update their firmware on the lens and make these mounts non-functional.

So a third party making an adaptor? Not really a native E mount camera.

focuspulling wrote:That guy is a panhandling hustler whose sole motivation is to beg for clicks to earn affiliate revenue (scraps of daily bread).

Your own sig features a monetised blog though?

JB

There's truth IN what you're saying, but of course it's splitting hairs. As you also know very well, there are numerous forum threads here about numerous MFT and EF mount lenses having flaws when mounted onto Blackmagic Cinema Cameras. Sometimes a Tamron aperture control or OIS or focus control doesn't work in varying combinations, for example; this has even pertained to MFT lenses though less frequently.

Ultimately, rate of success in the field no matter how you get there, is a sliding scale and there's no dogma or orthodoxy. "Native" is a word to describe the lack of an intermediary third-party adapter; for DJI to contract with a manufacturer for a piece part is universal practice. Blackmagic's mounts are "native" unless you split hairs yet more, down to minutiae.

I prefer a world where greedy dueling proprietary manufacturers get a taste of their own medicine, and I'm more than happy to navigate the edge cases of incompatibility with crowd-sourced reports of the occasional incompatibility. We outnumber the orthodoxy (always). If Blackmagic followed your orthodoxy (even seeing as you clearly have their ear for privileged access), they'd have never progressed beyond the EF and MFT mount dilemma. And surely you've noticed that they issue sometimes whole camera firmware updates specifically to address a lens model's incompatibility.

As to the monetization comment, that guy is solely motivated to tilt his news towards affiliate revenue. Even a quick skim shows that appalling, tacky lack of ethical boundary even for a "rumors" news source.

John Brawley

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 7:18 pm

focuspulling wrote:
There's truth IN what you're saying, but of course it's splitting hairs. As you also know very well, there are numerous forum threads here about numerous MFT and EF mount lenses having flaws when mounted onto Blackmagic Cinema Cameras.

EF and MFT lenses have problems for sure. The difference is that with MFT, BMD are officially in the consortium. Any issues that arise are purely inadvertent, not strategic. No one is trying to make a non conforming MFT piece of equipment as there's an official agreement to co-operate.

EF is a sunset standard. BMD only made an EF camera AFTER the protections had expired. The protocol is also much easier to hack. Remember that EF (and likely E mount) are all reverse engineered hacks. There are still problematic lenses like the 50mm F1 and the 100mm Macro. The protocol was developed in 1987 and even though it's simple, issues do still come up, but because it's so well understood and simple they can usually be dealt with.

Sony E is protected Sony. You haven't given a single example of where they have sanctioned a camera that uses their protocols. So my original point stands.

Anyone who makes a product while the protocol is protected is therefore risking either a change or alteration in the future rendering their equipment non-functional.

Sony are also within their rights to legally pursue those that breach that protocol.

That's the point. MFT is genuinely native and official. EF is out of protection and is now kind of open-source. This is why Canon go after those trying to make the same kinds of adaptors for RF but don't bother with EF.

E mount is not anything like that.

So you may say you'd support an BMD unofficial E mount camera, but what if that suddenly stopped working on all lenses sold after today or any lenses that have had their firmware updated?

BMD would not want to risk any legal jeopardy either so it's just not going to happen no matter how much you wish it to be, or think it's possible to do.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Omar Mohammad

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 8:34 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Re-iterating my post from April 3rd:

thomann.de
PCC6k Pro ... 5-7 weeks

Even NF batteries. I have been following thomann for some time. I don’t know whether it’s the right time to buy the 6k pro. Some dealers in Spain have them in stock now.
MacBook M3 Pro 16”, 18 GPU cores, 36GB RAM, 1TB | Sonoma 14.4
BMCC6K-FF | Sigma 12-24 f4 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Sigma MC-21 Adaptor
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6

Ollie Larkin

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 10:27 am

Jason Boyd wrote:
Ollie Larkin wrote:Bit late responding to this - but I agree - the cube form factor isn't going to be perfect for everyone. I owned a Komodo for a few months and found it was still just too long on a gimbal because of the depth of the camera with a fast lens on it. I've ended up modding my P6K so the original screen is in a pivoting CNC'ed enclosure on top, freeing up the back of the camera for a V mount. I'm thinking of doing the same mod to a 6KPro to have the internal ND's, but I'm also kind of waiting to see what Blackmagic does next.. The 6KPro came out a over 2 years ago now.

Whoa, you can’t just post something this freaking fantastic without going into detail! I want to know more about how this mod was achieved. I would love to do this with my pocket.

Thanks Jason! There's a few small hurdles with this mod, you'll need a few flat FFC cables for the display, extension boards for them, a V-mount for the back of the camera, a piece of metal or carbon fiber to hold that in place, and of coarse a CNC machined or 3D printed enclosure for the screen. I started with a 3D printed enclosure but the hinge just doesn't work well in plastic. CNC machining one-off parts like this isn't very cost effective at all so that costed about $150 USD and with the V-mount, ribbon cables etc, it's around $250 USD total so not too bad, similar to the Tilta flip screen modification kit.

This also requires a basic bit of soldering, nothing too difficult, to connect the V mount power to the Pocket's power board. I also cut a slot in the front of my P6K's enclosure for the screen's cable to come out but I think it could be made slightly easier by cutting a small slot where the two halves of the enclosure meet instead.

It could be a lot more cost effective to CNC machine the screen enclosures in bulk, so if there was enough interest, I'd love to put a modification kit together with all of the required parts and instructions. I'm curious to see how much interest there would be for a mod kit like this?

MKUltraPrimes

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 2:06 pm

Ollie Larkin wrote:
Bit late responding to this - but I agree - the cube form factor isn't going to be perfect for everyone. I owned a Komodo for a few months and found it was still just too long on a gimbal because of the depth of the camera with a fast lens on it. I've ended up modding my P6K so the original screen is in a pivoting CNC'ed enclosure on top, freeing up the back of the camera for a V mount. I'm thinking of doing the same mod to a 6KPro to have the internal ND's, but I'm also kind of waiting to see what Blackmagic does next.. The 6KPro came out a over 2 years ago now.

this is so cool man

Samuel S

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 2:52 pm

This is amazing.

Henchman

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 6:19 pm

Ollie's mid still doesn't solve the main issue.

Lens mount.

I'll happily move back to BM if they release a 6k camera with an L mount.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

Michel Rabe

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 6:54 pm

Holy crap. I think this is the best camera mod I've ever seen. BMD, take note!

Omar Mohammad

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 8:17 pm

Would it be possible to release a pocket cinema camera with a full-frame sensor?

rNeil H

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 12:21 am

Why a stills dimension sensor in a cinema camera? Curious.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 1:06 am

Don't start it again, This has been discussed here and all over the internet.
If any indicator, an insignificant camera manufacturer from Germany is proudly calling their best camera ever simply Alexa 35.
They don't even mention that this refers to shooting sideways on 35mm film, not lengthwise ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Ryan Payne

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 2:45 am

Ollie Larkin wrote:[*]
MKUltraPrimes wrote:I get that it’s silly to want a camera thats specifically tailored to me, but i would just like a tinier ursa with the 4k sensor and mft mount. That would make my life easier, just being able to use the lenses i already own, a slightly nicer form factor that isn’t a cube, have internal nds, multiple video outs, viewfinder support, just using 1 big battery and not having to rig anything. That would be just be my dream.

panasonic kinda managed to do it in 2010, camcorder like shape, mft, internal nds? Would be cool now too.

Okayyyy now, I need this!

Please share your process, is the vmount soldered into the power connection internally? How on earth did you create these parts and put it all together?

Would this be possible with 3d printing?

Omar Mohammad

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 8:04 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Don't start it again, This has been discussed here and all over the internet.
If any indicator, an insignificant camera manufacturer from Germany is proudly calling their best camera ever simply Alexa 35.
They don't even mention that this refers to shooting sideways on 35mm film, not lengthwise ;-)

timbutt2

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 1:18 am

Omar Mohammad wrote:https://youtu.be/MBtQYER9etU

I keep seeing other YouTubers now jumping on the rumor of the BMD L Mount Camera. Even this guy made a video saying that the previous video is proof it is happening. (Eye Roll) Sadly, this misinformation results in people who don't have actual evidence jumping to conclusions.

Now, it would be great for Blackmagic to join the mirrorless lens mount arena for sure. But more than anything I think I would much rather interchangeable lens mounts come to the Pocket line. Specifically the P6K line. I think that would be more valuable.

One of the things I love about the URSA line is that once the URSA Mini Pro was released the interchangeable lens mount was a part of it. Prior you had to buy the camera with a fixed mount. And, that really limited you to one lens type. The UMP changed that so that you could swap the mounts and use whatever lenses you needed to for the production/shot.

Still the Pocket line would benefit from Mirrorless Mounts over the EF Mount. Especially since Mirrorless Mounts are able to allow for Lens Mount Adapters. Obviously for a certain group the autofocus capabilities are appealing. I still am not sold on autofocus enough each time I use it. Other than stills, but even then I do find that I need manual focus for when the camera and lens don't know my intentions of what to focus on. In the heat of the moment manual is better because I can nail that focus while the autofocus is searching for it because it doesn't know what I want to have in focus.

The lenses become the next major challenge. What a lot of people forget is that the cameras need communication with the lens for autofocus to work. That's a lot of development work. Blackmagic has a lot on their plate. They haven't exactly been able to get universal firmware out for all their shipping cameras (cough; URSA Mini Pro G2... cough). So adding more lens autofocus code to the mix could complicate things.

And, people forget RED made a deal with Canon for the RF Mount so Canon could get internal compressed raw recording on their cameras. Sony has a propriety mount they don't license out.

Maybe Blackmagic should get more interchangeable lens mounts in their cameras first. Then also get some new camera designs with their amazing 12K sensor.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Howard Roll

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 7:28 am

timbutt2 wrote:And, people forget RED made a deal with Canon for the RF Mount so Canon could get internal compressed raw recording on their cameras. Sony has a propriety mount they don't license out.

People also forget that the Canon C200 had compressed raw three and and half years before the Komodo was released. Just because something is repeated thousands of times on the internet doesn't make it true.

Sony has not yet licensed E-Mount, it doesn't mean that they will not. It's like this long standing belief that Red somehow has a draconian stranglehold on compressed raw. They'll surely license it, and obviously have, they're just not going to do it for free.

Good Luck

guuuido

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 7:42 am

Ollie Larkin wrote:
Jason Boyd wrote:

Thanks Jason! There's a few small hurdles with this mod, you'll need a few flat FFC cables for the display, extension boards for them, a V-mount for the back of the camera, a piece of metal or carbon fiber to hold that in place, and of coarse a CNC machined or 3D printed enclosure for the screen. I started with a 3D printed enclosure but the hinge just doesn't work well in plastic. CNC machining one-off parts like this isn't very cost effective at all so that costed about $150 USD and with the V-mount, ribbon cables etc, it's around $250 USD total so not too bad, similar to the Tilta flip screen modification kit.

This also requires a basic bit of soldering, nothing too difficult, to connect the V mount power to the Pocket's power board. I also cut a slot in the front of my P6K's enclosure for the screen's cable to come out but I think it could be made slightly easier by cutting a small slot where the two halves of the enclosure meet instead.

It could be a lot more cost effective to CNC machine the screen enclosures in bulk, so if there was enough interest, I'd love to put a modification kit together with all of the required parts and instructions. I'm curious to see how much interest there would be for a mod kit like this?

Ollie your mod is fantastic! This is what Blackmagic should have designed in the first place! Please make this kit available for others! I am definitely interested!

kevin_p

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 9:50 am

@Ollie How do you deal with transporting the camera? Does the screen just tilt down ?

Ollie Larkin

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 11:31 am

kevin_p wrote:@Ollie How do you deal with transporting the camera? Does the screen just tilt down ?

That's right Even, the screen goes to 90 degrees so it's not really any larger to transport other than the V mount battery when it's attached. It still takes the LP-E6 batteries too.

John Brawley

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 10:52 pm

Howard Roll wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:And, people forget RED made a deal with Canon for the RF Mount so Canon could get internal compressed raw recording on their cameras. Sony has a propriety mount they don't license out.

People also forget that the Canon C200 had compressed raw three and and half years before the Komodo was released. Just because something is repeated thousands of times on the internet doesn't make it true.

Sony has not yet licensed E-Mount, it doesn't mean that they will not. It's like this long standing belief that Red somehow has a draconian stranglehold on compressed raw. They'll surely license it, and obviously have, they're just not going to do it for free.

Good Luck

Dunno Howard.

Canon seemed to be practically designing the camera for RED if you look at this patent (from a year before Komodo)
https://www.canonrumors.com/patent-cano ... -drawings/

And this one is even closer to a Komodo. It's remarkably similar. Enough that you'd think Canon would sue RED for infringing their patent.

https://ymcinema.com/2023/02/21/the-can ... -in-japan/

We all know that RED do have a habit of outsourcing a lot of their R&D. They "buy in" their innovations. I wonder if they collaborated with Canon? RF mount and REDCODE make sense then...

Given it takes about 3 year minimum to develop a camera from scratch to get to market...

I'm not sure RED have ever actually licensed redcode to anyone? I know that Atomos mentioned paying RED some fees when they launched their now sinking IPO when they went public. Who else has? I can't think of anyone. Maybe Sony but again, it was a rumoured IP swap there too when RED sued Sony, Sony countersued and then RED dropped it and Sony still ship cameras with raw recording, though interestingly in seperate recorders to the camera until very recently.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

HykCIne

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 2:47 am

If BM will Announce FF L mount camera soon I guess it will have a IMAX size :D
Z Cam E2-F6 Pro / Tokina 11-20 / Canon 17-55 / Sigma 18-35 / Sigma 50-100 /

Howard Roll

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 2:54 pm

John Brawley wrote:And this one is even closer to a Komodo. It's remarkably similar. Enough that you'd think Canon would sue RED for infringing their patent.

Canon and Red are obviously working together, what's your point? Are you saying Canon traded compressed raw for the whole Komodo design and not just the RF mount?

John Brawley wrote:I'm not sure RED have ever actually licensed redcode to anyone?

I don't think they have either, but we know that both Apple, Atomos, and likely Nikon are licensing compressed raw.

Good Luck

timbutt2

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 11:48 pm

HykCIne wrote:If BM will Announce FF L mount camera soon I guess it will have a IMAX size :D

If Blackmagic is the first to an IMAX size I'd be shocked. They first need to do VistaVision/Full-Frame size. And, that sensor size is not IMAX size.

I don't care what IMAX, Arri, Sony, or Red says about the Arri, Sony, or Red VistaVision or LF sensors. Those are not true IMAX either. Arri comes closest with their 65mm Sensor in the Alexa 65. But a true IMAX size sensor needs to match 1570 Film. That's 70mm X 48.5mm in size. We're talking 11.5K-32K resolution. 11.5K based on the current Alexa 35 4.6K sensor, and 32K based on the URSA 12K.

I don't care what IMAX has certified as cameras for the digital end of things. Until one of the camera manufacturers reaches the immense 1570 sensor size then I don't think it comes close. And, the original URSA body is going to have to be the size of the camera to house such a sensor.

I'd love to see it happen. And, I'd love for the BMD 12K sensor to be used as a basis to get to that 70mm X 48.5mm size for a resolution of 31,822 x 22,055. However, that's a huge amount of resolution for computers to handle.

John Brawley

PostSat Jun 24, 2023 12:28 am

Lenses are the biggest problem for imax.

Alexa 65 is a bit easier.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

timbutt2

PostSat Jun 24, 2023 1:44 am

John Brawley wrote:Lenses are the biggest problem for imax.

JB

And, I guess that's why there's like 5 IMAX cameras in the world.

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Jun 24, 2023 2:21 am

timbutt2 wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Lenses are the biggest problem for imax.

JB

And, I guess that's why there's like 5 IMAX cameras in the world.

Mamiya RB67 Sekor lenses are still the best option for them. That system printed to exposures at 6cmx7cm (60mm X 70mm), which would clear the 15/70 Perf which is 70mm X 48.5mm

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 24, 2023 3:02 am

Remember those from photography, beautiful glass. Does anybody rehouse them?

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Jun 24, 2023 3:06 am

One the one hand, it is always fun to speculate about the future.

On the other hand, a little perspective is in order. I'd be absolutely ecstatic if the filmmakers that were sending me projects to color grade were taking advantage of the excellent affordable BMD cameras that have been available for multiple years already. I constantly still get projects sent to me that are shot to highly compressed absolute crap codecs on C100, FS7, and A7sII bodies — cameras that are already 11 years, 9 years and 8 years old, respectively. And not just documentaries. I have a dramatic narrative TV series coming in for color grading next week that was shot on A7sII. It is insane.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography