calibrating motion sensor

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jsowell

calibrating motion sensor

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 4:12 pm

Hi everyone what is the best position for the camera when doing the calibration. I noticed that it wants to sit on the front vent fins on my 6k with a small 50 mm lens(non g2) those fins dont stick down as much on the 4k. with no lens it rests slightly forward of the level of the tripod plate but wont contact the vent fins. do i use its natural resting position which balances and could teeter slightly, slightly forward resting on the vent fins or do i rock it back slightly and push it down flush with the plate the tripod screw attaches to? is it only critical that the surface be steady? level and steady? level , steady and level to some reference position on the camera ?
Resolve Studio 18.5|
intel 10900k | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM | GTX 4090 24 gigs ram | | Decklink 4k extreme 12g

Jsowell

Re: calibrating motion sensor

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 7:53 pm

I decided to post these results in case anyone can find use in the information.by testing a short 5 second clip you can see how much drift there is after you gyro stabilize. lock the camera down and use the camera control app to start the recordings.best results are calibration from perfectly level with the plate on bottom rear used to mount on tripods flush to the level surface.end results green axis (side to side) 6. axis next to it i assume that is (up down) 2.9.. if you could get a perfectly level surface i assume the results would be 0,0,0 on all axis and you would see no zoom after stabilization
Resolve Studio 18.5|
intel 10900k | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM | GTX 4090 24 gigs ram | | Decklink 4k extreme 12g

Return to Cinematography