In Praise of the Pocket 6k Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

In Praise of the Pocket 6k Pro

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 3:08 pm

I've owned the Pocket 6k Pro since its release. Pre-ordered and started using it as soon as I received it.
I loved the specs: 6k Resolution, Media I already owned, Dual ISO, Internal NDs...
Things that bothered me were slow readout times and lack of higher FPS options. But I rarely shoot higher than 48fps anyway, and I found ways to alleviate camera shake.

When I went to Japan, I wanted to keep a low profile while filming in public, and it was a great form-factor.
I had to film a boxing/fighting scene, handheld, and the camera worked extremely well, with and without the Gyro activated (I played around with the settings, as I was using a lens with IS).

Last year, I took it to east Africa, in the heat and humidity, and it was flawless. Started up just fine, every time. No media issues. The screen did get VERY hot, with max brightness on for extended durations, but it always worked and (since the boot-up times are so quick) I would turn the camera off whenever I was idle.

Just last week I had to film a Polar Plunge in northern Ohio in well-below-freezing temps. In the teens, in Fahrenheit. Aside from a little motion blur on the screen, like it couldn't keep up with the frames (if that makes sense), it worked great. The Blackmagic brand batteries held up extremely well, and I filmed the entire day on 4 NP-Fs.

I know people don't like the form factor as much, but since I don't need an external monitor, or a matte box, or a cage... paired with a simple lens like the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS, this simple setup has been my go-to for a long time now.

I can't wait to see what BMD comes out with next, but every time I use my Pocket 6k Pro, I enjoy it so much.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Florent Piovesan

Re: In Praise of the Pocket 6k Pro

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 pm

Such a good cam, loving mine too :) !!
https://www.oftwolands.com

timbutt2

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 5:36 pm

I definitely like mine a good deal. I need to send it in for more repairs from BMD. It still is randomly freezing up since the last repairs when they replaced the motherboard due to the Mini XLRs being pushed in from a fall due to a rental. Never renting gear out again.

But yeah, the images are fantastic. And, I love using it as a B-Cam to my UMPG2. And, since I PL Modified it I love using it with PL Glass.

I really hope that the next Blackmagic Camera takes the best parts of all their popular sensors, the 12K, the 4.6K, and the 6K, and combine them into one hell of a monster sensor that takes the industry by storm.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

wemrick1

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 9:23 pm

It's wonderful to read it held up through the rigor you have subjected yours too. I will never subject mine to anything like that. I like mine a lot too. My biggest complaint is that the fans are getting more noisy over time but that doesn't bother me unless the bearings go out and it starts overheating. So far non of that and of course the image is fantastic.

Return to Cinematography