Which lens for a 35mm & 24mm full frame effect with 4k?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

WarmProd

Which lens for a 35mm & 24mm full frame effect with 4k?

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 5:06 pm

I'm doing my take on a Woody Allen movie, Manhattan/Annie Hall. I'm going to be shooting with two lenses. It will be showing in the theaters. I have a Rokonin 35mm cinematic lens, but I was told because of the crop factor, I wouldn't get the full image I really wanted. Can anyone tell me which lens to buy? Thank you.

robert Hart

Re: Which lens for a 35mm & 24mm full frame effect with 4k?

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 6:05 pm

The 35mm motion picture film open gate with sound track was apparently 22mm x 18.6mm, the masked widescreen projection gate, 20.95mm x 12.623mm with some variations.

The BMPCC 4K sensor usable area is mentioned as 18.96 x 10mm.

My imagining is that a 28mm and a 20mm focal length lens may come closest to what you are looking for. If you are cropping the sides of your camera's native 16:9 image for a 4:3 frame, then you might need to choose a 24mm focal length lens and something close to about 17mm.

What there is in the way of focal length of about 17mm in prime lenses I do not know. There is a 17-35mm f2.8 Tokina zoom lens for stills cameras. From memory, this lens may yield a cool cast to the image colour.

Your depth-of-field for the same apparent field-of-view will be shallower with the wider angle lenses. Therefore you may need to light for or use ND outdoors to enable you to set one stop more aperture to achieve a similar depth-of-field.

You will need to choose lenses which can open to f1.8 or more. Many lenses go soft and flarey fully wide-open. Lenses which are f2.8 or even f3.5 will not be your friend if you are going after a faithful rendition of the look as they will not open wide enough before losing image quality.

Please take heed of better qualified folk than I who respond.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 6:29 pm

If you will be filming in 4K DCI 16:9 on the Pocket 4K with an MFT glass (no adapter), to achieve the 24mm lens look of a 35mm Film (3-perf), you'll need a 19.4mm (or 20mm) T1.5; at 35mm lens look of a 35mm Film (3-perf), you'll need a 28mm T1.5. The Roki lenses will let you open up to T1.5, however, it may be rather soft on the edges.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

WarmProd

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:If you will be filming in 4K DCI 16:9 on the Pocket 4K with an MFT glass (no adapter), to achieve the 24mm lens look of a 35mm Film (3-perf), you'll need a 19.4mm (or 20mm) T1.5; at 35mm lens look of a 35mm Film (3-perf), you'll need a 28mm T1.5. The Roki lenses will let you open up to T1.5, however, it may be rather soft on the edges.

robert Hart wrote:The 35mm motion picture film open gate with sound track was apparently 22mm x 18.6mm, the masked widescreen projection gate, 20.95mm x 12.623mm with some variations.

The BMPCC 4K sensor usable area is mentioned as 18.96 x 10mm.

My imagining is that a 28mm and a 20mm focal length lens may come closest to what you are looking for. If you are cropping the sides of your camera's native 16:9 image for a 4:3 frame, then you might need to choose a 24mm focal length lens and something close to about 17mm.

What there is in the way of focal length of about 17mm in prime lenses I do not know. There is a 17-35mm f2.8 Tokina zoom lens for stills cameras. From memory, this lens may yield a cool cast to the image colour.

Your depth-of-field for the same apparent field-of-view will be shallower with the wider angle lenses. Therefore you may need to light for or use ND outdoors to enable you to set one stop more aperture to achieve a similar depth-of-field.

You will need to choose lenses which can open to f1.8 or more. Many lenses go soft and flarey fully wide-open. Lenses which are f2.8 or even f3.5 will not be your friend if you are going after a faithful rendition of the look as they will not open wide enough before losing image quality.

Please take heed of better qualified folk than I who respond.

So, in an response. Would a Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F/0.95 get me close enough?

roger.magnusson

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 11:49 pm

Close enough to what exactly, is the goal to mimick the look of Manhattan? That was shot with anamorphic lenses. Annie Hall was not and they look very different.

As Robert explained, you don't necessarily have to compare to full frame since movies weren't generally shot with that size film stock.

Return to Cinematography