audio: problem with external recorder with BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

audio: problem with external recorder with BMPCC

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm trying to setup my enviroment in oder to use my ATOMOS SAMURAI with my brand new BMPCC.
I have made of the proper connections using the adaptor to connect the microHDMI output to the SDI input of the recorder.
All OK about video BUT no audio at all.
I have put the mic under the SAMURAI audio input and it works but if I connect the RODE to the camera input I have no audio signal on the recorder
any idea on how to solve the problem?
Thanks.. you are so kind and competent...
Last edited by Francesco Bollorino on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: audio with external recorder with BMPCC

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Connect the audio source to the external recorder.

The external recorder will be able to record much higher-quality sound than the camera.

-

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Connect the audio source to the external recorder.

The external recorder will be able to record much higher-quality sound than the camera.

-

I have done it and as said it works BUT I wonder why the HDMI output of BMPCC doesnt carry the audio signal
Have I made some mistake in the setup? With my previous SONY VG900 I had no problem in using the SAMURAI to record audioand video signals from the camera.
Of course the SDCARD records both audio and video but the SAMURAI seems to recieve ONLY the video signal
WHY?
Francesco Bollorino

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:

-
... I wonder why the HDMI output of BMPCC doesnt carry the audio signal ...

The BMPCC's micro HDMI output connector outputs embedded audio.

It appears your HDMI to HD-SDI converter is not passing along the embedded audio signal to the Samurai.

-

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:

-
... I wonder why the HDMI output of BMPCC doesnt carry the audio signal ...

The BMPCC's micro HDMI output connector outputs embedded audio.

It appears your HDMI to HD-SDI converter is not passing along the embedded audio signal to the Samurai.

-

I dont understand why as normally with the HDMI output of Sony VG900 all goes well and the converter (made by Atomos) is the same.. is it possible to make some further setup to the controls? Any idea?
Francesco Bollorino

Chris Hocking

Re: audio: problem with external recorder with BMPCC

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:The BMPCC's micro HDMI output connector outputs embedded audio.

Curious... has anyone actually tested and confirmed this? It's in the specs, and I've always ASSUMED it does - but I've never actually tried it first hand. Unfortunately our Pocket is overseas, so I can't try it out myself.

adamroberts

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:The BMPCC's micro HDMI output connector outputs embedded audio.

Curious... has anyone actually tested and confirmed this? It's in the specs, and I've always ASSUMED it does - but I've never actually tried it first hand. Unfortunately our Pocket is overseas, so I can't try it out myself.

I've recorded audio via the HDMI into an Atomos Ninja (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17380#p109261). So there is audio being passed through.

There must be an issue in how the Connect is translating the data from HDMI to HDSDI.

Robert Nichol

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 11:02 pm

I'm trying to record video/audio via HDMI from camera into Blackmagic Intensity Pro card with Media Express. Video is fine, but NO AUDIO comes into Media Express. I know that audio is present in the camera because I can hear it in the headphone monitor in the camera. I have tried a variety of video frame rates, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. Any ideas??

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:If we go back to what Francesco said:

Francesco Bollorino wrote:I have put the mic under the SAMURAI audio input and it works but if I connect the RODE to the camera input I have no audio signal on the recorder

the issue may simply be that the Rode is not putting out enough level for the camera to record, or the audio input to the camera is not set to a usable level. If that is the case, then it would explain why there is no audio on the HDMI output.

Perhaps Francesco should do some tests to see if there is sufficient level to be able to record a signal on the SD card first.

I have to say that the audio level also kept directly on SD card is low. I have set the Rode + 20 with no result I do think (as the audio level in Samurai with the same setup is VERY high) that the sensibility of audio input of BMPCC is very low I hope that the manifacturer would solve the problem with some trick in a further firmware update...
Francesco Bollorino

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Chris Hocking wrote:

I've recorded audio via the HDMI into an Atomos Ninja (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17380#p109261). So there is audio being passed through.

There must be an issue in how the Connect is translating the data from HDMI to HDSDI.

This is possible but I have no evidence of it I'd use as converter my EVF which has SDI output and HDMI input but this solution complicatea lot the global setup considering that I need to use Samurai
Francesco Bollorino

Return to Cinematography