Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds Adapter??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

cktaylor1

Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds Adapter??

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi,

I have the MFT BMCC and a Samyang 35mm Four Thirds lens.

Can anyone recommend an adapter for these? (Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds)

Thanks very much.

Denny Smith

Re: Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds Adapter??

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Olympus and Panasonic both make a Four Thirds to MFT adapter that works with the BM Pocket camera active MFT mount. Cheep EBay adapters do Not work.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 5:54 pm

If a lens has fully manual features, such as true mechanical (not servo) focus and aperture via rings on the lens, it can be used with the BMCC-MFT via a simple (mechanical) mount adapter.

The BMCC-MFT's passive (not digital) MFT mount does not support digital lenses. The camera's mount can't supply power or digital communication with a digital lens. So, for example, if a lens features digital auto-focus, digital aperture control, etc. these features don't work with the BMCC-MFT.

(Unlike the BMPCC pocket cam which has an active MFT digital mount compatible with most digital MFT lenses.)

cktaylor1

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks Peter and Denny for the tips.

The Samyang 35mm T1.5 cine lens for Four Thirds features manual focus and aperture control rings.

So it can be used with the BMCC 2.5k with an adaptor.

Anyone know where I could find one of these at all?

Thanks very much.

CRFilms

PostWed Jan 15, 2014 11:23 pm

I have a cheap electronic 43 to M43 adapter and it works with the Pocket. I got this model, only in black:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Auto-Focus-AF-4-3-Four-Three-Lens-to-Micro-43-Adapter-as-MMF-3-MMF-2-/281137559796?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item41751ab8f4

I only have the Olympus 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 MK 1, so it's possible some other lenses won't work, but it works for me and interfaces with the Pocket as it should. I've never seen a dumb 43 to M43 adapter, but if you don't need electronics this could be a good budget option. Do a search, you should also be able to find one with a tripod mount attachment for only a few bucks more.

EDIT: Here's one with tripod screw for a few bucks less: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF-Four-Thirds- ... 3a833d0f36

Return to Cinematography