BMCC6K Pro Recording issue/malfunction

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nilsjacob

PostMon Feb 20, 2023 3:31 pm

I quite often experience a malfunction when recording with my BMCC6K Pro. It starts of recording, but after a few seconds the"!" starts blinking. I have to turn off my camera and try again. After a few times it works OK. I am using a Wise 1 TB CFast 2.0 card. Have anyone experienced this?

timbutt2

Re: BMCC6K Pro Recording issue/malfunction

PostMon Feb 20, 2023 11:14 pm

I have something similar to this happening with mine. But it took a fall last year on a rental. I sent it in for repairs and came back with this issue. I still haven't gotten compensated for the repairs by the renter who broke the camera, so I haven't sent it in again for more repairs. I didn't have the issue before it was sent in for repairs. But it's very similar to your issue.

I get that "!" and when I hit the record button it won't stop recording, even though it's no longer recording. It's basically frozen. So I have to turn it off. If I can't turn it off I have to eject the internal battery and disconnect the external V-Mount Battery D-Tap cable in order to turn it off. It's super annoying. It's very random too. So either happens after a long time of recording, or after a short time. It varies way too much.

I do need to send it in for repairs. So I'm likely going to small claims court with the renter.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Poozon

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 10:59 pm

Nilsjacob wrote:I quite often experience a malfunction when recording with my BMCC6K Pro. It starts of recording, but after a few seconds the"!" starts blinking. I have to turn off my camera and try again. After a few times it works OK. I am using a Wise 1 TB CFast 2.0 card. Have anyone experienced this?

I have exactly the same setup except I have BMCC6K G2. And I have the same issue when I try to use 5:1 compression (not to mention 3:1 compression). The 8:1 compression always works for me.

These Wise CFast 2.0 cards are cheaper than Angelbird cards and I have no problems using the 5:1 compression with Angelbird cards.

Poozon

PostWed Mar 08, 2023 9:57 pm

Poozon wrote:I have exactly the same setup except I have BMCC6K G2. And I have the same issue when I try to use 5:1 compression (not to mention 3:1 compression). The 8:1 compression always works for me.

Well, yesterday I had issues even when I used the 8:1 compression :cry: . I was able to record a couple of clips without issues but during recording one of them the recording stopped after 18 seconds. And the recording stopped after a couple of seconds three times.

So I definitely do not recommend Wise CFast 2.0 cards. And they are recommended by Blackmagicdesign for my camera. And I bought them because they were recommended by this company.

I had no such issues with Angelbird cards.

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 3:19 pm

If you always format the cards in your camera:
Try formatting the cards with your computer in exFAT and HFS+ as appropriate; if that improves performance, then try reformatting in the camera.

I’ve used Wise cards for almost seven years and still haven’t had an issue like this, knock on silicon. I don’t have any BMPCC6K cameras though as my cameras are older. Perhaps it’s somehow related to the camera and not the cards, but Tim’s remark might suggest that it is card related.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 10, 2023 3:29 am

If it only started with recent firmware, this might be connected with the additional data from the gyroscope. Could be just touching a limit for that card.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 10, 2023 5:10 am

Possibly, I can’t test that on my BMPCC4K with BRAW since my maximum bitrate is significantly less than the BMPCC6K. Hopefully someone here can shoot some high bitrate BRAW on their BMPCC6K with Wise CFast2 cards.
Rick Lang

Poozon

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 9:17 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If it only started with recent firmware, this might be connected with the additional data from the gyroscope. Could be just touching a limit for that card.

I have checked how the Wise CFast 2.0 1T card behaves when data from gyroscope is not included. And unfortunately the result was the same: random write errors.

It is easy to have video without data from the gyroscope: you use a lens with Image Stabilisation and turn on Image Stabilisation (data from the gyroscope is not recorded then).

Robert Niessner

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 11:25 am

Poozon wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:If it only started with recent firmware, this might be connected with the additional data from the gyroscope. Could be just touching a limit for that card.

I have checked how the Wise CFast 2.0 1T card behaves when data from gyroscope is not included. And unfortunately the result was the same: random write errors.

It is easy to have video without data from the gyroscope: you use a lens with Image Stabilisation and turn on Image Stabilisation (data from the gyroscope is not recorded then).

The question is, if this enough for a conclusion or if a test with a firmware downgrade would show different results. Maybe the timing of the write operation has been changed and this leads to those issues.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 6:51 am

Robert Niessner wrote:The question is, if this enough for a conclusion or if a test with a firmware downgrade would show different results. Maybe the timing of the write operation has been changed and this leads to those issues.

you are Right Robert, newer firmware changed the way of writing data, with gyro but not only, in release note of newer firmware there are some “optimisation” to do better and more compatibility with support, but seems to cause more troubles on old support.
Most of writing problems that recently pumped on forum are near to ever (except to not approved media or weak performance media) related to newer firmware of cameras, disappear with downgrading firmware, and often are on disk that worked fine for years.
Me too I had problems with disk that I use with my ursa where i can write uncompressed cDNg 60p 4.6k, a bigger and a higher data rate than my braw on p6k. Previous firmware all fine.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Robert Niessner

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:43 am

Yeah, the timings of write cycles are critical and needs to be optimized between camera and storage media. Even when your cards can write fast enough on paper - if the timing is off then the performance can drop significantly.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Poozon

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 8:11 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Poozon wrote:

The question is, if this enough for a conclusion or if a test with a firmware downgrade would show different results. Maybe the timing of the write operation has been changed and this leads to those issues.

I have not done tests with a firmware downgrade but I have actually identified the root cause of the issue with this particular card. Wise-Advanced Support told me that this card needs more power than other cards and the issue occurs when the camera is not able to give it enough power.
And in my case it looks like it is the viewfinder that consumes this missing power. When I remove the viewfinder, I have no issues with write errors.
And I do not have issues when my camera is powered with a DC adapter or using a battery grip.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 1:50 am

Good find!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ErockSandman

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 5:24 pm

Hey all, posting here as well. I'm not sure anyone has a fix yet, but I'm still seeing this issue and have ruled out power. C/P from the 7.9 thread:

I'm still having issues recording externally to SSDs after v7.9. I have reliable used T5s for over a year and more recently upgraded to the Sandisk Pro Blades via the Kondor blue handle. The issue I see is if I record the time code freezes red and the record freezes red, unable to stop. I am forced to shut the camera down to resolve the state.

Reverting back to 7.7.3, which puts the camera at 7.5.1 for me (not sure why), completely resolves the issue. I am able to use both the T5s and the brand new Sandisk Pro Blades via the handle with no issues.

Return to Cinematography