M.Zuiko 14-54mm Mark II compatibility with BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tom Glinskas

M.Zuiko 14-54mm Mark II compatibility with BMPCC

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 7:23 am

I purchased a M.Zuiko 40-150mm and a M.Zuiko 14-54mm Mark II for my BMPCC as well as a 3rd Party adapter. So far, the 40-150mm works flawlessly. I can control the iris and focus electronically and also manual focus. I'm happy with this lens.

I am having troubles with the 14-54mm Mark II. The zoom works most of the time, and I even get peaking on the screen with is VERY helpful. However the iris has problems. Sometimes it will just start shifting back and forth between a display of -- and 3.5, or even more wildly from wide open to shut. I can never adjust the iris via the keypad on the BMPCC and there is no adjustment ring.

My question is, has anyone else had issues with this lens? Is it my 3rd party adapter? It's odd that the adapter works for one lens, but not the other. I'm guessing the newer "smarter" lens is not happy with the adapter.

Can I get the Olympus M.Zuiko Mark II lens to fully function on my BMPCC?

Thank you for your help.
-Tom

Tom Glinskas

Re: M.Zuiko 14-54mm Mark II compatibility with BMPCC

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 am

Thanks, Geoff. I did check that list...after buying the lenses. I'm using a JY-43F adapter that got good reviews on a few forums. I will try to test a MMF3 adapter if I can.

Tom Glinskas

PostFri Jan 17, 2014 5:57 pm

I picked up a MMF-3 adapter and can confirm that the Olympus 41-54mm f2.8-3.5 Mark II lens DOES work. I no longer have the focus peaking, however I am now able to control aperture and zoom.

Tom Glinskas

PostWed Jan 22, 2014 5:11 pm

That was my understanding as well. However the lens had a digital green peaking just like the focus assist on my JVC HD100 when using the JY-43F adapter. That was nice, when it worked, which was infrequently. No such results via the MMF-3, but I can now reliably monitor and adjust focus and iris.

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jan 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Focus peaking is definitely a function of the camera, not the lens, but on some camera/lens combinations it may be activated through the lens. In the BMPCC it can be activated on the camera itself, regardless of what lens is used.

Return to Cinematography