BMPCC EOS MFT EF 24-70 2.8 II Lens Flare ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

metamind

BMPCC EOS MFT EF 24-70 2.8 II Lens Flare ?

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 pm

I have just installed my EF 24-70 2.8 II on my BMPCC using a simple, cheap, mechanical EOS to MFT adapter.

After things looked great at first sight and in diffused standard indoor daylight (outstanding lens with massively reduced short focus distance on BMPCC), very cool) I discovered an annoying "lens flare" in the lower third of the image in standard low light situations, when a direct light source (low power led bulb in a lamp on the wall, which is at the edge of zebra clipping) is present in the image. The "flare" seems to "wander" horizontally when panning the camera to the left or to the right:

As this does not happen with my MFT lenses (14mm 2.5, 12-35mm 2.8), it must be connected to the adapter. The black coating on the inside of the adapter seems to be ok. Despite being "cheap" it does have a lot of positive reviews and does not seem to cause the problem by its' quality but rather by its' mechanical character.

Any ideas ?

I intended to buy the active MFT converter, but now I fear, the problem might be connected to the construction in general.

Return to Cinematography