BMCC 2.5k - Using a ZOOM recorder as a pre-amp?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

SeldomSeenKid

BMCC 2.5k - Using a ZOOM recorder as a pre-amp?

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 11:15 am

Hi All,

I wonder if I can use my little Zoom H2N recorder as a pre-amp for the BMCC. The recorder has a stereo line-out and theoretically I should be able to connect it using an adapter. This way I do not need to sync my audio in post.
After reading stories like "A dozen ways to toast your SDI", I thought its a good idea to ask before to try.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

Bunk Timmer

Re: BMCC 2.5k - Using a ZOOM recorder as a pre-amp?

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 6:45 pm

It’s possible, however I never managed to get the clean sound I get from direct recording, to a H4n pro in my case. So I rather sync my audio in post.

SalopFilms

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 7:04 pm

+1 for sync in post if you have a good recorder.

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 11:25 pm

I tried that a bunch of years ago. Maybe 8 or 10 now. Can't remember. John Brawley talked me out of it. A couple of things I learned along the way. First off the output of that recorder is consumer all the way. 10 db lower then output of a professional recorder. Second it's unbalanced and because of that is prone to all sorts of interference and noise. Like others have suggested I started syncing in post instead. Also got a better recorder. While that Zoom recorder has a nice form factor, it's not so great as far as recording. Problems like drift can be headaches later on. Another thing you might consider is getting a set of timecode boxes. I got the Diety's and rally like them. The Tentacle syncs are super popular as well. Inexpensive compared to all the hour you may spend fighting a bad sync. Good luck...

SeldomSeenKid

PostFri Mar 10, 2023 7:58 am

Thank you all for your advice. -10dB + unbalanced output are a show stopper. Will continue to sync in post and think about putting the time-code boxes on my wish list.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

robert Hart

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 7:57 am

The H4n is a sweet little machine but has some small harmonic issues not unlike old analogue tape recorders which used to add a low frequency artefact when recording intense high frequency sound like strong bird calls.

Bunk Timmer

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 10:43 pm

robert Hart wrote:The H4n is a sweet little machine but has some small harmonic issues not unlike old analogue tape recorders which used to add a low frequency artefact when recording intense high frequency sound like strong bird calls.
That is good to know. However my ears are getting real bad so I’m pretty sure that if I wanted to record bird songs with a high pitch in it I wouldn’t even know when to hit the record button. Our washing machine has this annoying high frequency alarm to let you know the program ended. At certain point in time it started to elude me when I was in the next room, now I can stand in front of it and not hear any beep. I pick up low frequencies still fine, so now I at least know that if there is this low frequency artifact in my recordings, a bird came by :)

Return to Cinematography