Black Magic Gen 5 "Color" from other Cameras with braw

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

PolicarSI

Black Magic Gen 5 "Color" from other Cameras with braw

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 4:21 pm

I really like the image quality on the Pocket 6K and Pocket 4K – but sometimes want to use full frame (and already own a full frame camera that outputs braw). I've only used Nuke (not Resolve) for this so far but I notice that I can take a braw clip from the A7S3 or S5 or something and rather than using V Log or SLOG3 I can set the camera to Gen 5. I've noticed the A7S3 doesn't quite match the Venice (redder skin) and S5 doesn't match the Varicam35 to my eye very closely. But that Black Magic profiles its cameras better and the P4K and P6K look similar and both convert to Log C very accurately in ACES.

If I just develop the footage in Nuke as Gen5 and use the same workflow as I would with P4K footage, can I get the same color that I prefer from the Pocket cameras except on my full frame S1?

I've also noticed, no idea how or why, that despite the lack of antialiasing filters the P4K and P6K seem to exhibit less aliasing than the A7S3's ProRes raw. But it could just be the lenses or something I'm seeing wrong.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Black Magic Gen 5 "Color" from other Cameras with braw

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 8:48 pm

For 3rd party cameras we typically rely as much as possible on the information provided to us from the 3rd party about their sensor and how to transform the sensor response or camera data to common colour spaces. Their process for deriving this information could be different to ours so you may see some differences beyond just metamerism.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

PolicarSI

Re: Black Magic Gen 5 "Color" from other Cameras with braw

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 9:15 pm

Thanks! I might just end up with a Black Magic camera then. I'd probably buy now were NAB not around the corner....

Return to Cinematography