Pre-order: Get Resolve now, camera later

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Florian Kohlert

Pre-order: Get Resolve now, camera later

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 8:01 am

Hi,

as we haven`t preordered yet, and so I would expect shipping of the camera might be some months from now, I would like to know if it would be possible to get the software licenses/dongle before the camera. So we could use Resolve already and don`t have to wait til all preorders are fulfilled.

Thank you
Flo

David_P

Re: Pre-order: Get Resolve now, camera later

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 2:44 pm

great question and id like to know if this is an option as well.

david

sean mclennan

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 9:03 pm

You can download Resolve Lite right now for FREE. Only some select, professional/commercial grade functions are disabled in the free version. I would think this would tie you over until you get your camera....

"Stereoscopic 3D features, 2K, noise reduction, power mastering, remote grading and sharing projects with an external database server are features only offered in the full DaVinci Resolve and are not included in this free DaVinci Resolve Lite edition."

Florian Kohlert

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Yes I know, but unfortunately I need noise reduction and 4k.
Thanks
Flo

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 10:36 pm

flokohlert wrote:Yes I know, but unfortunately I need noise reduction and 4k.
Thanks
Flo

With respect, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but implementing this would leave BlackMagic open to abuse. For example, what happens if someone cancels their preorder after they receive their dongle?

This company is incredibly generous offering the Lite version for free and even including support for those users! They've drammatically lowered the price of the full-function version you need to under $1,000! They are bundling about $1,700 worth of software when they deliver the BMCC to you (full Resolve, Ultrascope, Media Express) with a camera bundle that is under $3,000! To me it's as if this camera costs about what I paid for my modest HDV camcorder eight years ago! It's a steal. And it just feels like the company has such a different business ethos where delivering superior products is paramount. Reminds me of Apple's product and customer focus. Count our blessings!
Rick Lang

Alex

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 5:22 am

I imagine they would just ask for the dongle back?
Failing that they would blacklist that specific dongle in the next .1 release..

If you are buying a bundle of technology, some of it ready to ship today, some a few months from now, I can't see any reason they shouldn't let you get started....

(I also find a bit weird that they are still using dongles, feels sort of 90s)

Larry Sellers

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 7:44 am

It seems to me this issue would be taken up with your dealer, the one you are pre-ordering from, not the company itself. Why don't you ask your dealer who probably sells resolve anyway to send you a dongle now, and when your camera shows up, they can just pull that dongle from the box. Maybe they go for it, maybe not. But I don't think you're getting anywhere with BMD directly on this issue...

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Alex wrote:I imagine they would just ask for the dongle back?
Failing that they would blacklist that specific dongle in the next .1 release..

If you are buying a bundle of technology, some of it ready to ship today, some a few months from now, I can't see any reason they shouldn't let you get started....

(I also find a bit weird that they are still using dongles, feels sort of 90s)

It's just not as simple as you make it sound there. But to put a clean answer to it. No we will not be shipping any of the bundled software prior to the camera. Besides this will take away from the out of box experience. :mrgreen:
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Jesuan Soriano

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Joshua Helling wrote: Besides this will take away from the out of box experience. :mrgreen:

hahahah awesome...i can understand both parts. And what if somebody buys resolve software and then in three months decides to get the camera...does he get some kind of refound or something?? not my case..just asking. But I really can't understand why shipping takes so long...I don't know how manufacturing works but aren't the cameras made in high quantitty?? :)

js
Jesus Soriano

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Jesuan wrote:... And what if somebody buys resolve software and then in three months decides to get the camera...does he get some kind of refound or something??

Then they will have 2 fully licensed copies of Resolve. No refunds. Try not to look at it like the cost of the software is added into the cost of the camera. Instead, look at it like a gift we give you because you bought a camera. Refunds wouldn't make sense.

As for why it takes so long to get the camera out the door. It's a complex issue. Not just manufacturing, but making sure the product is ready to use and that all the parts are ready. From announce in April to shipping in the next little bit. It's not so long of a wait.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Jesuan Soriano

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 pm

ahha well..it's not my case...but if someone really needs 4k and noise reduction....i know it's kind of a gift...i would buy the camera even it only comes with the body itself and nothing else.

But long I mean, I know you don't say "hey i wanna make a camera and the day after you have it packed and shiny to ship" I mean, you say in two weeks more or less the camera will be ready. so if it is ready to ship then why would people have to wait 3 months to get theirs? i mean once you have the first final build it's kind of a chain to make the other quite fast...isn't it?

not critisizing, just asking because it's something I don't really know and i've never been able to know why it takes so long to make such a enough number of cameras to satisfy everybody within a short time. I would like to ask this at reduser.net when they released the Scarlet, but i'm not a fanboy and i was scared to be pulled out for not workshipping them ..... I hope this never happens here.

Sorry for my english....and i know it's a difficult question but a simple answer to get into the process of making for example 1000 cameras, would be so nice !!!!

js
Jesus Soriano

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:07 am

Jesuan wrote:Sorry for my english....and i know it's a difficult question but a simple answer to get into the process of making for example 1000 cameras, would be so nice !!!!

js

It seems to me you are asking a simple question and the answer is very complex. Be patient and trust that BlackMagic Design will release the BMCC when it's ready. There's a lot more to it than simply assembling 1000 units and I'm sure that there will be more than that in preorders. Lets let them concentrate on getting the camera released.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography