bmpcc 6k digital slate issues??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

bmpcc 6k digital slate issues??

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 3:55 pm

I shot a short over the weekend on my 6k. I was diligent about updating the digital slate so the metadata would already be there when I sat down to edit. I sat down to edit and most of the metadata was blank. The takes were recorded and they were correct. However, the project name was from a previous shoot. The shot data was blank.

The only reason I can think this would happen is that I didn't format the T5 before the shoot. It was most recently formatted in the camera and I just deleted the footage from that prior shoot before putting it back on the camera.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Ellory Yu

Re: bmpcc 6k digital slate issues??

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 5:04 pm

Not that I think this was the issue, but I highly recommend to format the drive before starting anew project on it.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

ShaheedMalik

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 5:22 pm

You didn't change the project name before shooting?

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 3:29 am

By any chance did you sync to audio before checking the slate metadata in Resolve? It's a known issue that that Camera Slate Metadata can be overridden by the Audio Slate Metadata. This has been an issue for me for years. I think we are nearing 5-years since I first brought it up on the Resolve Forum. So the question was whether the sound mixer was diligent about updating the slate metadata for his audio files?

I know it's tedious, but you may have to spend the time updating the Slate Metadata for the footage in Resolve again.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

GalinMcMahon

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 4:07 pm

Ahh, thanks Tim. That makes sense. I had sync'd the audio (as well as Resolve is capable of doing so...actually linked about half of the clips.) Well, it doesn't make sense that it is still an issue after having been pointed out but hey, it's $300 lifetime software :) It's actually kind of infuriating that they would allow this.

I did change the project name and fully set the digital slate up prior to shooting. It's possible that I hit the x instead of the check mark. That's as easy fix though since it's the same for all clips.

I actually made a short list of slate update requests but since they can't fix the old issues, I'll just delete the requests.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 10:47 pm

Always worth submitting Update Requests. Gets it in front of their eyes. Plus they may have seen the issue pointed out in the past but since it wasn't frequently brought up they didn't set to resolve it.

My suggestion, open a new project and import just the video media. Check to see if the Slate Metadata is correct for all the clips. And then, select all the clips and export that metadata so that you can re-attach it to the clip in the other project.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography