Newbie Issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Auramist

Newbie Issue

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 11:42 pm

Good morning from Australia.

I have a limited amount of experience with cameras and have normally just used auto settings on cameras I have owned and therefore I may ask some dumb questions so apologies in advance.

I purchased a BMCC4K second hand for a reasonable figure or so I thought. Batteries were flat so purchased in good faith.

The following day I put both batteries on charge and waited all day to use.

When I put the batteries in the camera it powered on and showed a green indicator beside switch. The screen on the rear came on and i could see an image clearly. Using a 12-35 lens.

did a factory reset via menu and amended dates and times. I put the AC Power attachment in and it is showing on screen. Running 6.6 so am downloading an update

30 minutes later I switched the camera back on and the back screen was black but the surrounding details visible around the screen.

No image of items in front of camera are visible.

Yes I have all the caps off.

All I can see on screen is psychedelic pink and green splotch.

Have I bought a dud or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance

Ellory Yu

Re: Newbie Issue

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 3:35 am

I think you have the False Color setting to on. On one of the buttons on top of the camera,I think it is the F1 button (to the left), is the default button for False Color and it toggles as on/off. Press the button and see if that changes the screen to regular display. Give that a try.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:09 am

Auramist wrote:Good morning from Australia.

I have a limited amount of experience with cameras and have normally just used auto settings on cameras I have owned and therefore I may ask some dumb questions so apologies in advance.

I purchased a BMCC4K second hand…

I like your enthusiasm to dive in with the camera, but you might want to download the appropriate camera manual from the BMD Support webpage which will give you a good starting point when you read it. Enjoy!
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 12:06 am

I second Rick's advice.

Here's a link to the latest version of the manual:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/BlackmagicPocketCinemaCameraManual.pdf?_v=1661410810000
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Return to Cinematography