EF lenses for bmpcc 6k G2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Fenixt

EF lenses for bmpcc 6k G2

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 8:58 am

We will be setting up a multi camera stream, and I had thought of using the 4k studios MFT with the zoom and focus demands. Keeping my options open, I wanted to consider the BMPCC 6K G2 as well. I really would like to have powered zoom lenses, similar to this MFT:

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom O.I.S. Lens..

Is there anything like that in an EF Mount that doesn't have the Cine price tags

Thank you!

Ellory Yu

Re: EF lenses for bmpcc 6k G2

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 3:37 pm

Yes, there are many, Just go to B&H and search for EF-mount Zoom Lenses.

This one might work for you, assuming you're okay with variable focal length glass. I think you can find used ones cheaper as well.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... S_USM.html

Other one that's more on the cheap kit lenses...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _6_is.html
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Fenixt

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 5:28 pm

Thanks for the response, however neither of those appear to have the power zoom integrated into them, unless I'm mistaken?

The EF-S 18-135 appears to be able to sit into a docking mechanism, the PZ-E1, and its price is reasonable. Any idea on if that is compatible with the BMD Zoom Demand?

Fenixt

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 5:36 pm

Actually, the pz-e1 is discontinued, what I saw was a used price and may be difficult to acquire multiple...

Ellory Yu

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 11:24 pm

I don’t think you will find a PZ that will work with BMD zoom and focus demand as that only exist for the broadcast cams. You are correct that the PE Z1 has been discontinued but you might check this as they have it in stock.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... apter.html

I don’t know how many of these you will need and how many used ones they have in stock.

Alternatively, this Sony lens, with a EF to Sony electronic adapter might also work for you. I have not tried this so you’ll have to research more.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... z_oss.html

My background is more in narrative cinematography than live broadcast. What we do in cinematography is used remote follow focus and zoom controllers such as the PDMovie remote controller and Tilta Nucleus systems.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... pro_3.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... focus.html

This is what my team use with the Cine cameras.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Fenixt

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 3:13 am

The Zoom and Focus demand are available for the BPCC 6K G2, do a search on the page for "demand", it's about half way down: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-CIN-19

This is why I want a lens with the zoom built into it, so I can control the zoom and focus from either the Zoom/Focus Demand accessories, or from the ATEM.

The Sony lens does look nice, but I can only find conversions from EF-Mount Lens to E-Mount Camera, not the other way around.

So I guess it comes down to purchasing the Canon Compact Servo lenses that are on the inexpensive end of the EF powered zoom or getting the Tilta Nucleus-M with any compatible lens. Looks like I'll be going with the Tilta.

Thank you Ellory

Ellory Yu

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 5:12 am

Fenixt wrote:The Zoom and Focus demand are available for the BPCC 6K G2, do a search on the page for "demand", it's about half way down:

Oh, that. Yes, but only certain lenses and it’s mostly for tripod attached controllers. I don’t think it will work with the PZ. I was thinking more like the Studio cameras where you can have lenses with servos. As I said, I don’t use lenses with servos, more of a remote FF system.

So I guess it comes down to purchasing the Canon Compact Servo lenses that are on the inexpensive end of the EF powered zoom or getting the Tilta Nucleus-M with any compatible lens. Looks like I'll be going with the Tilta.
[/quote]
I have more experience with the Tilta Nucleus and it’s worked for me and my focus/zoom pullers.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 5:13 am

Fenixt wrote:The Zoom and Focus demand are available for the BPCC 6K G2, do a search on the page for "demand", it's about half way down:

Oh, that. Yes, but only certain lenses and it’s mostly for tripod attached controllers. I don’t think it will work with the PZ. I was thinking more like the Studio cameras where you can have lenses with servos. As I said, I don’t use lenses with servos, more of a remote FF system.

Fenixt wrote:

I have more experience with the Tilta Nucleus and it’s worked for me and my focus/zoom pullers. My applications are likely different from yours but I would think it can do the same job.

One last thing that I may add. This might be okay for you but do note that VFL zoom lenses increase/decrease stops as you zoom, which will affect the DOF, the luminance, and of course image spatial compression. Worse, no two lenses, some cheap ones even if they are similar lenses effectively produce similar results at various stops. You probably know about this and if not, here you go. Best wishes.

Return to Cinematography