Best starter lens for the bmpcc

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ChetaMeister

Best starter lens for the bmpcc

PostMon Jan 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Im in the market for a bmpcc. Im somewhat torn between the choices of getting a ois lens or something with very low light capabilities like a slr magic. i wouldnt mind compensating by getting a rig cause that will help weight establishment anyway but what do you guys think will be the best choice?

Mac Jaeger

Re: Best starter lens for the bmpcc

PostMon Jan 20, 2014 10:22 pm

There is no general best lens, no general best anything in general. The lens you chose is always a compromise between several factors, price being one of them. Do you need OIS? Only you know. Do you prefer primes or zooms? Is speed more important than focal length? Etcetera. Tell us your needs, tell us your budget, then we might be able to advise.

Craig Seeman

PostMon Jan 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Two that come to mind for me are
Lumix (Panasonic) 12-35 F2.8. OIS works with Pocket but there are faster and wider lenses especially with Pocket Metabones Speedbooster.

The other would be Sigma Nikon mount 18-35 F1.8 with aforementioned Speedbooster. No OIS. My math brain is on hold at the moment but it would be a bit wider and with the PMSB it would be around F1.0 ish.

Which one is "best" depends on how you weigh OIS vs speed.
Of course you may want wider and longer in your kit but the above would be "starter" as in early/first purchases.

As Mac infers "best" is really based on need but the above two can cover a lot of basic ground on OIS and speed front.

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 2:09 am

Craig Seeman wrote:The other would be Sigma Nikon mount 18-35 F1.8 with aforementioned Speedbooster. No OIS. My math brain is on hold at the moment but it would be a bit wider and with the PMSB it would be around F1.0 ish.

This is definitely a lens you'll want once you also bought a Pocket cam speedbooster - but both together is worth more than the camera, not a "starter lens" in my eyes... Combined with the speedbooster it will be a 10 to 20 mm lens, incredibly sharp (watch out for moiré though!), and brilliantly fast at f/1.0 !

Peter Kent

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 4:36 am

If you get the BmPCC specific Metabones Speed Booster then it turns your 14mm diagonal sensor into a 24mm (I think, just did the quick math) so think of a 24mm as your new "neutral focal length" so the sigma 18-35 is a slight wide to a little telephoto (about 30-60mm on Full Frame) while the 12-35 is like a 35-100mm on a Full Frame camera. However the speedbooster makes that Sigma into an f/0.95 (right?) while the Panasonic is only 2.8.

I would say the Panasonic with its better range plus OIS and AF might be a better starter lens for you BUT I'd rather have the Sigma with a speed booster.

christian.himmelstrand

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 11:32 am

My choice is Panasonic 14mm 2.5
they are cheap if you find them used.

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 3:59 pm

PeterK wrote:However the speedbooster makes that Sigma into an f/0.95 (right?)

Right. The fabulous Speedbooster also makes common f/3.5 Nikon kit lenses into f/2.0, the omni-present 18-105 Nikkor 1:3.5-5.6 becomes very useable.

So if you have any nikon lenses, preferrably from a crop 1.5 dslr, you might consider the Speedbooster the "ultimate starter lens", because it lets you use all your old glas...

Return to Cinematography